Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

Well, now we do.

Allow me to start this off with three thoughts:

1. I think maybe he throws hard enough.

2. You can tell Mahle he's not the staff ace, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to believe you.

3. Do you see why I wanted to get that extra year of control on him? It's great watching him step up, but he could have done this in June rather than for a .250 baseball team.
    Last edited by M2; 04-29-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-29-2018),CrosleyField (04-29-2018),DocRed (04-30-2018),Kingspoint (04-05-2019),membengal (04-29-2018),Redeyecat (05-06-2018),REDREAD (04-30-2018),RiverRat13 (04-29-2018),Ron Madden (04-29-2018),TRF (04-30-2018),Z-Fly (04-29-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, now we do.

Allow me to start this off with three thoughts:

1. I think maybe he throws hard enough.

2. You can tell Mahle he's not the staff ace, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to believe you.

3. Do you see why I wanted to get that extra year of control on him? It's great watching him step up, but he could have this in June rather than for a .250 baseball team.
    I'd love an extra year of control. But odds still favor it not mattering (or not mattering that much). Due to trade, poor performance, injury, extension, etc.....

To me it boils down to the Reds organization needing some wins. Not "wins" as in wins and losses, just some feel-good performances that can be built upon. Silly I suppose, but they need some wins. If Mahle is one of those, I will begrudgingly accept losing that final year.

5. Likes:

Chainsaw (04-29-2018),LexRedsFan (04-29-2018),M2 (04-29-2018)

We like him

7. Likes:

Red Raindog (04-30-2018)

As bad as this year has been if they could just get Castillo to look something like last year you really see some hope. Castillo, Mahle and Romano have a change to be a very good middle part of the rotation. Package together some of you best prospects (which will probably include one of Winker/Green--no Senzel) to get yourself a true number 1 and maybe next year will be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    As bad as this year has been if they could just get Castillo to look something like last year you really see some hope. Castillo, Mahle and Romano have a change to be a very good middle part of the rotation. Package together some of you best prospects (which will probably include one of Winker/Green--no Senzel) to get yourself a true number 1 and maybe next year will be a lot better.
    I’m skeptical of Romano
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

DatRedsFan (04-30-2018),DocRed (04-30-2018),indy_dave00 (04-30-2018)

I get why people would say Greene or Senzel are the most important guys in the organization, but I think there's an argument that it is actually Mahle. He's a homegrown player taken in the 7th round out of HS who has a great chance to be a very good starter. Didn't need to tank to get him and he gives some hope that the Reds can develop a pitcher. Haven't had many guys fit that profile in my lifetime.

12. Likes:

DatRedsFan (04-30-2018),DocRed (04-30-2018),M2 (04-29-2018),mth123 (04-30-2018),Red Raindog (04-30-2018),REDREAD (04-30-2018),The Operator (04-29-2018),wlf WV (04-05-2019)

Jeez! We were trying not to jinx him! Thanks!

14. Likes:

M2 (04-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I get why people would say Greene or Senzel are the most important guys in the organization, but I think there's an argument that it is actually Mahle. He's a homegrown player taken in the 7th round out of HS who has a great chance to be a very good starter. Didn't need to tank to get him and he gives some hope that the Reds can develop a pitcher. Haven't had many guys fit that profile in my lifetime.
    Just building on this, Mahle's kind of the prototype. If you want to succeed in the GAB, you best have your K/BB in order. The 2012-3 models got that exceptionally right. In fact, that's part of what caught my eye when the Reds drafted Mahle. He got it from the moment he walked through the door. The Reds need a guy in the majors to model the house style. That used to be Arroyo. Maybe Mahle can assume that role moving forward. It's a lot to put on a rookie, but he's outstanding at the very thing that seems to be the secret to success for a Reds pitcher. Castillo is the other guy who fits that profile.

The other thing with Mahle is he passed on college to pursue his pro ambitions and it seems to have paid off. You can argue with hindsight that he should have gone to college (UC Santa Barbara). He probably would have been a 1st round pick in 2016, assuming he would have been relatively the same as the guy who was tearing through A+ ball at that time. That's millions of dollars. Instead he went the pro route for less money, and here he is in the majors at age 23. When the Reds draft other HS arms outside the first few rounds in the future, Mahle is the guy they can point to and say that's how you get to the majors.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-30-2018)

Because we like to ***** and there's nothing to ***** about

18. Likes:

DatRedsFan (04-30-2018),Griffey012 (04-30-2018),Red Raindog (04-30-2018),WrongVerb (04-30-2018)

I'm going to circle back to a question I had about Mahle last year.

The guy has 2 MILB no-hitters. Obviously there is some good fortune involved, but does he have something going that gives him no-hit stuff on given nights? I never got a great answer to that one last year when I asked it, and there may not be a great answer.

But (update) there he was, no-hitting the Braves last week thru 6 innings.

This can't be a coincidence, but its not like he's some almighty pitcher who you expect to be throwing no-hit ball a few times a year, right? What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

The guy has 2 MILB no-hitters. Obviously there is some good fortune involved, but does he have something going that gives him no-hit stuff on given nights? I never got a great answer to that one last year when I asked it, and there may not be a great answer.

This can't be a coincidence, but its not like he's some almighty pitcher who you expect to be throwing no-hit ball a few times a year, right? What gives?
    Check the list of guys who have no hitters. It is not as impressive as you think. And if you checked the list of guys with near no hitters, it’s even less impressive. A lot of randomness in getting a no hitter.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

Chip R (04-30-2018)

I thought Mahle was more a back of the rotation guy, based on what I saw last year at the MLB level. Based on what I’m seeing this year, my mind is changing. He’s looking more and more like a solid #3 starter when he reaches his peak.

757690: Your post regarding who pitches no-hitters--the good pitchers with good stuff get more opportunities....it is a function of quality. Who you play, the ballpark, and the number of K's/9 innings are probably the biggest factors beside quality of pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    757690: Your post regarding who pitches no-hitters--the good pitchers with good stuff get more opportunities....it is a function of quality. Who you play, the ballpark, and the number of K's/9 innings are probably the biggest factors beside quality of pitcher.
    Good point, and I agree. There is such a thing as “no hitter stuff.” But there are plenty of guys who have pitched no hitters without it.

I’m not ready to put Mahle in that category just yet, just because he’s pitched 6 no hit innings once.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

I suspect it is because, as good as his fastball command is, on those nights when he's particularly sharp with that command, he becomes "some almighty pitcher". I think his command has a chance to be special. We've seen glimpses of it this year already. If he can do that consistently, he's someone you can build a rotation around.

ETA: we once had a "command" guy from the left side, and he did find his way to perfection...Tom Browning could locate a fastball with anyone - and was never ever a velocity guy (Mahle throws way harder now than Browning ever did). But a well placed fastball on the regular? That can make a pitcher into something very very good.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-30-2018 at 09:18 AM.

26. Likes:

757690 (04-30-2018),M2 (04-30-2018),REDREAD (04-30-2018),The Operator (04-30-2018),wlf WV (05-06-2018)

Turn Off Ads?