Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

Re: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    You have your opinion and I have mine. In my opinion once he learns to keep his pitch count down and can go deeper into games he'll be there.

Oh and don't put DeGrom into that conversation. Calling him elite is disrespectful. There isn't a word for what he is right now. He's unhittable.
    Maybe it’s not the definition of elite we disagree on but the meaning of cusp. For me being on the cusp means you’ve done it for about 40-45 starts, not a few games.

But I love what he’s doing. The whole staff is getting it done right now. I couldn’t be happier for Mahle. I’ve always liked him.

2. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (06-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It was so much cooler when I thought his name was pronounced Maul.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post

Oh and don't put DeGrom into that conversation. Calling him elite is disrespectful. There isn't a word for what he is right now. He's unhittable.
    The question is how many wins will deGrom have when he goes into the Hall of Fame? 115?

6. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    The question is how many wins will deGrom have when he goes into the Hall of Fame? 115?
    Totally not directing this at you.

But it’s so freeing once you stop giving a single damn about pitcher wins and losses.

8. Likes:

membengal (06-17-2021),Tom Servo (06-16-2021),WrongVerb (06-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

But it’s so freeing once you stop giving a single damn about pitcher wins and losses.
    I doubt many starting pitchers feel that way. They want to get the W. I doubt deGrom likes going 10-9 and 11-8. The objective is always to win. I realize a pitcher can't do much about run support, but I'm sure they care.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    I doubt many starting pitchers feel that way. They want to get the W. I doubt deGrom likes going 10-9 and 11-8. The objective is always to win. I realize a pitcher can't do much about run support, but I'm sure they care.
    I agree. As long as Wins and Losses as stats are given to a pitcher they are going to care. Now I think the team winning is the most important thing to them regardless of who gets the W but as long as W-L records are noted for pitchers they will care.

I am also of the opinion that its a problematic stat. You don't give the SP the win because he doesnt throw 5 innings but you turn around and give the win to a guy who throws far less than the SP?

Look at Degrom last night. He incinerated the Cubs for 3 innings, no hits, no walks and struck out 8 of 9 he faced, oh and he had an RBI single and left with a 3-0 lead but its the guy who pitches for only 2 innings after him and gives up a run that gets the W. Thats just plain stupid and there is no way around it.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 06-17-2021 at 08:39 AM.

11. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-14-2022),wlf WV (06-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    Well that's the rub with today's game in a way.

Mahle might take a bit more control of such a thing by being more pitch efficient at times. But if his strikeout rate keeps climbing, or staying above his actual innings pitched, than he'll almost by default throw more pitches. Today it seems the first inning escape act had him at a disadvantage from the get go on the pitch count.

But Bell in particular seems more inclined to go to the bullpen earlier than some others. Seemingly so anyway. Whether that's worried about pitch counts, commands from higher up, or some sort of just gut strategy I don't know.

I do know he's continued to improve and I'm sure would be a very credible #2 starter in a lot of rotations, if not most of them right now. That may not be elite or even on the cusp of it just yet. But he's certainly trending in the right direction.
    I don't know how many people remember back in like 15/16 when Mahle turned from "just some later round pick" to "hey this guy might be interesting". He was doing it with command and low walk rates. The debates on RZ were if he was going to develop enough velocity to be more than a back of the rotation innings eater type.

I know he hit 96 multiple times yesterday and I am pretty sure I saw him hit 97. The other thing is the movement on his pitches now is pretty filthy. The 5th inning strike out of Yelich where he starts off 95 up in the zone, then goes splitter down and away, then slider down and in was a thing of beauty.

I think he is just guy that evolved with the times and traded in command for more velocity and movement and will probably never be a really pitch efficient guy. With him it seems like as long as he can keep the ball in the yard he is very effective. When Bauer left I had real concerns about where production would come from and he looks like the guy that is really stepping up. 14 starts, take out the 1 against the Cubs and the one against the Giants and he is a sub 2.00 era.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I don't know how many people remember back in like 15/16 when Mahle turned from "just some later round pick" to "hey this guy might be interesting". He was doing it with command and low walk rates. The debates on RZ were if he was going to develop enough velocity to be more than a back of the rotation innings eater type.

I know he hit 96 multiple times yesterday and I am pretty sure I saw him hit 97. The other thing is the movement on his pitches now is pretty filthy. The 5th inning strike out of Yelich where he starts off 95 up in the zone, then goes splitter down and away, then slider down and in was a thing of beauty.

I think he is just guy that evolved with the times and traded in command for more velocity and movement and will probably never be a really pitch efficient guy. With him it seems like as long as he can keep the ball in the yard he is very effective. When Bauer left I had real concerns about where production would come from and he looks like the guy that is really stepping up. 14 starts, take out the 1 against the Cubs and the one against the Giants and he is a sub 2.00 era.
    I spent a few years insisting he'd continue to add velo. He's 6'3" with a clean stroke. Always had the profile of a kid who was building toward something. Added velo every season. Seems like he's still adding it. Also always had sick movement. I don't think it's necessarily a trade of velo for control, more that it's harder to pinpoint as he adds velo. Though he looks like he's consistently getting closer to that fine control with the added oomph, which is why he's becoming a staff leader kind of pitcher.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Mitri (06-17-2021),RedlegJake (05-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

You are 100% correct!!! Pitchers job is to give the team a chance. Maybe put it all on the line to stop a loosing streak but have no control at all at how many wins. Losses unfortunately effect their $$.

If you don’t score you can’t win.

He's now 12-5, 3.59. The Reds are 19-11 in the games he's started. He's been the team's stopper this season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

GullyFoyle (09-16-2021),HokieRed (09-16-2021),Ron Madden (09-16-2021),Tony Cloninger (09-16-2021)

He's still only 26.

I wish they would have waited a year or so to call him up. Calling him up too young and tossing him to the wolves early I think prevented some fans from appreciating how good he is.

For the last few weeks, Mahle hadn’t converted in those high-pressure moments like he did in the fifth inning versus Reynolds.

Mahle said he wasn’t executing his pitches at the level he needed in order to show how valuable he can be in a starting rotation. He was walking too many batters, working deep counts and he couldn’t pitch deep into games.

In the process, he leaned on pitching coach Derek Johnson and assistant pitching coach Eric Jagers for advice on what he needed to fix. He trusted their insight and perspective on how to improve, and he was open to using his pitches differently.

Mahle specifically studied how much he struggled in 1-1 counts, and he was much better at throwing strikes in those situations versus the Pirates.

"For him to learn from each start, he should feel great about this one," Bell said. "He was able to put a lot of things he has been working on and talking about, putting it together in one start. He can definitely take that into the rest of the season.”

Mahle also said he had a few meaningful conversations with his father, but he believed that the only way out of his slump was by working on adjustments with the Reds’ coaches. Against the Pirates on Friday, Mahle showed his progress.
    See full story here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

20. Likes:

M2 (05-15-2022)

Tyler Mahle has had bad luck which shows on his FIP and xERA (You look it up) Though some of the luck was his own doing.

Against the Brewers - 1 hit (HR) on a slider after first slider was timed perfect and just missed the bat. Tough fighting with the catcher but have to when it’s a very bad selection.

Against the Brewers 2 runs but 1 was because the score keeper did not want to give the catcher a past ball (Only possible reason) Anyone watching could see that was a very lazy and bad mechanics and was not a wild pitch.

Glad he talked to his father who always tells him when he is getting away from his strengths. Coaches are awesome though so mostly talk about decisions .

Reds can sure be fun when they get going, I’m a bit concerned about all the guys coming back soon, as they will replace the guys that are playing well now.

Tyler Mahle showed why he can be a front-line starter as the Reds beat the Diamondbacks
    After Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Tyler Mahle allowed a single with one out in the ninth inning of a 0-0 game on Tuesday night, he made eye contact with Reds manager David Bell.

Mahle had just thrown his 114th pitch of the night against the Arizona Diamondbacks, and Bell wanted to make sure Mahle had more left in the tank to finish the inning. Mahle looked over, gave Bell a “little nod” and made it clear that he wanted to stay in the game.

“I’ll probably remember that look for the rest of my career,” Bell said. “It was pretty cool to be a part of that.”

Mahle pitched nine shutout innings as the Reds beat the Diamondbacks, 5-3, in a 12 inning game on Tuesday. He struck out 12 batters on 119 pitches.

On May 3, Mahle had a 7.01 ERA. It was a poor start to the season hindered by his inability to land fastballs for strikes early in counts.

Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson worked with Mahle on a plan to throw more strikes specifically in 1-1 counts, and Mahle’s season took off after that meeting.

Mahle left the game with a 4.46 ERA on the season, and he has allowed three runs or fewer in seven of his last eight starts.

Mahle, 27, is still in just his second season where he had a locked-in spot in the Reds rotation entering the season.

He’s in his first full season as the front-half of the rotation starting pitcher for the Reds. He’s a starting pitcher still on the rise whose potential can’t be questioned when he’s throwing strikes consistently.

full story here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-15-2022 at 08:28 AM.

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

Tyler Mahle's last four starts:

* 27.2 IP
    * 1.30 ERA
    * 0.80 WHIP
    * 36 K

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-15-2022),Old school 1983 (06-15-2022),RedTeamGo! (06-15-2022)

Turn Off Ads?