Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

Re: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-15-2022),Ron Madden (06-15-2022),Wonderful Monds (06-15-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    haha like literally before his next start
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-15-2022)

Stats By STATS
    @StatsBySTATS

Tyler Mahle of the @Reds
    is the only MLB pitcher in the modern era to throw 9.0+ shutout innings with 12+ strikeouts and no walks on the road and yet not get the win.

I'd be looking for at least one lower level top 100 prospect and another really solid prospect for Mahle.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-15-2022)

Why the Reds made Aramis Garcia their starting catcher until Tyler Stephenson returns
    After Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Tyler Mahle pitched nine shutout innings in the Reds win on Tuesday over the Arizona Diamondbacks, he stood in the interview room and answered questions about the best start of his career.

Mahle shifted the focus to catcher Aramis Garcia, who was behind the plate for Tuesday’s win.

“One thing I will say to you guys is Garcia tonight, if you go back and watch the sequences he was calling, I know you’ve got to make pitches, but the sequences he was calling were the greatest I’ve ever seen,” Mahle said. “By far. It was the greatest game I think I’ve ever seen called.”

Garcia already knew that Mahle felt that way about his work behind the plate. Mahle had told him that during the game. Mahle also looked at Garcia in the dugout at one point and asked him how he was “reading (Mahle’s) mind.”

Garcia had Mahle move his fastball all around the strike zone. He had Mahle set up splitters low and away. He had Mahle increase the usage of his cutter.

David Bell said "That’s pretty cool Mahle gave Garcia the credit. I saw the same thing. Great sequences all night.”

Garcia currently has one of the biggest challenges on the Reds roster. He’s temporarily replacing starting catcher Tyler Stephenson, who was a potential All-Star before he broke his thumb last week.

The Reds targeted Garcia as the type of catcher who could make pitching performances like Mahle’s on Tuesday take place.

Catching coach J.R. House said "Our number one thing is always going to be game calling. Running the staff, leadership, that’s going to be first. Please get us those types of players. We can do the rest to try to help them.”

This season, Garcia caught the game where Hunter Greene didn’t allow any hits. He caught rookie starter Graham Ashcraft’s impressive MLB debut. He caught a game against the Chicago Cubs at the end of May where Mahle allowed one hit in 6 ⅔ shutout innings.

While he has developed into an analytically above-average blocker and pitch framer, Garcia’s biggest contribution is his work with the pitching staff.

“I always tell people that you spend a max of eight minutes in the (batter's) box,” Garcia said. “But as a catcher, you’re responsible for 150 to 200 pitches. That’s a responsibility I don’t take lightly. Their success is my own. Anything I can do to support them and give them the best chance to be themselves and be successful is what I want to do out there.”

full story here:
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ed/7630544001/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-15-2022 at 12:40 PM.

10. Likes:

mth123 (06-15-2022),Roy Tucker (06-15-2022)

Everyone is saying sell now on Mahle. I'm not disagreeing really.
    But this is the reason this team will never be a serious contender.
    They keep trading the better players. Due to worthless cheap owners. Raking in money hand over fist and refusing to reinvest enough back to be a serious contending team.
    Not just talking Mahle here. He may be really good for another 5 or 6 years or may fall off the cliff by next season due to injury or just plain ineffectiveness. It's a risk to sign anyone long term especially pitchers.
    But if the Reds don't get a ownership group willing to take some risks and extend some of the better players. Then this team will never win big.
    Trading your best players for prospects is a risk as well. But tight fisted owner knows it is a much cheaper risk.
    I'm not saying extend Mahle per say. But at some point if you have a good core of players. A core of say 6 good ones you can't trade them all after a few years and expect to win.
    Just a long winded way of saying I'm bummed knowing Mahle, Castillo will be gone soon. If they did sign one of both then they wouldn't spend on any other areas of need anyway.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-15-2022),fondfoat (06-24-2022),HokieRed (06-15-2022),LeatherPants (06-15-2022),M2 (06-15-2022),mth123 (06-15-2022),RiverRat13 (06-16-2022),Roy Tucker (06-15-2022),UK Reds Fan (06-15-2022),wlf WV (06-15-2022),WrongVerb (06-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    They keep trading the better players. Due to worthless cheap owners. Raking in money hand over fist and refusing to reinvest enough back to be a serious contending team.
    Not just talking Mahle here. He may be really good for another 5 or 6 years or may fall off the cliff by next season due to injury or just plain ineffectiveness. It's a risk to sign anyone long term especially pitchers.
    But if the Reds don't get a ownership group willing to take some risks and extend some of the better players. Then this team will never win big.
    Trading your best players for prospects is a risk as well. But tight fisted owner knows it is a much cheaper risk.
    I'm not saying extend Mahle per say. But at some point if you have a good core of players. A core of say 6 good ones you can't trade them all after a few years and expect to win.
    Just a long winded way of saying I'm bummed knowing Mahle, Castillo will be gone soon. If they did sign one of both then they wouldn't spend on any other areas of need anyway.
    I basically agree with you. IMO you don't trade Castillo or Mahle unless you get a good MLB player back. Not some magic beans like what they got for Cueto a few years ago. Those beans turned out to be rotten. If a team wants to throw in a magic bean to go with the MLB player that's fine. If you can't get a good MLB player back then just keep them until they are free agents or if a miracle happens and ownership opens up their pocketbooks and sign them. I just as soon get nothing back than trade them for something just as worthless.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-15-2022),mth123 (06-15-2022),wlf WV (06-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why the Reds made Aramis Garcia their starting catcher until Tyler Stephenson returns
    full story here:
    That is good he is handling the pitchers well because he has been the worst hitter in MLB this year lol

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree, but one could also argue half measures is why the team sucks right now. They never fully committed to drafting, trading, and developing. They traded Frazier, Cueto, Iglesias, Bruce, etc when it was too late to get good returns. Now is the time to trade Mahle and Castillo. Not at next years deadline when they are out of it again. Now.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    full story here:

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That is good he is handling the pitchers well because he has been the worst hitter in MLB this year lol
    You really should read an article before commenting on it.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-15-2022 at 01:48 PM.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-15-2022)

That is really cool to read about Garcia. Those are the intangibles that even the fullest analytical assessment can’t detect.

Catching is really difficult. There’s a reason they don’t just throw Farmer back there. It’s takes years to learn and lotsnof repetition and homework to perfect. I could care less that Garcia is barely hitting his weight. Reading that makes me want to keep him around.

20. Likes:

757690 (06-15-2022),KeefeCato (06-15-2022),Kingspoint (06-15-2022),Ron Madden (06-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    That is really cool to read about Garcia. Those are the intangibles that even the fullest analytical assessment can’t detect.

Catching is really difficult. There’s a reason they don’t just throw Farmer back there. It’s takes years to learn and lotsnof repetition and homework to perfect. I could care less that Garcia is barely hitting his weight. Reading that makes me want to keep him around.
    I agree with you Mitri,
    This oughtta count for somethin
    This season, Garcia caught the game where Hunter Greene didn’t allow any hits. He caught rookie starter Graham Ashcraft’s impressive MLB debut. He caught a game against the Chicago Cubs at the end of May where Mahle allowed one hit in 6 ⅔ shutout innings.

While he has developed into an analytically above-average blocker and pitch framer, Garcia’s biggest contribution is his work with the pitching staff

“I always tell people that you spend a max of eight minutes in the (batter's) box,” Garcia said. “But as a catcher, you’re responsible for 150 to 200 pitches. That’s a responsibility I don’t take lightly. Their success is my own. Anything I can do to support them and give them the best chance to be themselves and be successful is what I want to do out there.”

22. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-15-2022),Kingspoint (06-15-2022),Mitri (06-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post

I agree catching is difficult but Farmer has logged nearly 3,000 professional innings at catcher (nearly as much as every other position he has played, combined) so it wouldn't be just throwing him back there. If Garcia is handling the staff well, developing the young pitchers and helping Stephenson become a better catcher, he's great for a full time gig in a lost season but you have to be able to hit a little bit to be more than a 3rd catcher on a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I agree catching is difficult but Farmer has logged nearly 3,000 professional innings at catcher (nearly as much as every other position he has played, combined) so it wouldn't be just throwing him back there. If Garcia is handling the staff well, developing the young pitchers and helping Stephenson become a better catcher, he's great for a full time gig in a lost season but you have to be able to hit a little bit to be more than a 3rd catcher on a contender.
    I'd like to see Farmers bat at the catcher position. But you and I both know there is so much more to catching than just being a average to above average hitter like Farmer is.
    They saw enough of Farmer and decided he can not be a major league catcher.
    They even lost the DH spot in a game when Tyler got a concussion. They could have moved Farmer to catcher to finish out the game and kept the DH. That showed me they didn't have enough faith to let him catch even a few innings to finish the game.

I'd like to see Farmers bat at the catcher position. But you and I both know there is so much more to catching than just being a average to above average hitter like Farmer is.
    They saw enough of Farmer and decided he can not be a major league catcher.
    They even lost the DH spot in a game when Tyler got a concussion. They could have moved Farmer to catcher to finish out the game and kept the DH. That showed me they didn't have enough faith to let him catch even a few innings to finish the game.
    When was this that they said they've seen enough of him at catcher to say he can't do it? IMO, not throwing him back there on a whim in 1 of 162 doesn't prove anything.

At no point have I said, or will I say "Farmer should be the catcher from this point forward". However, I see no reason why the Reds don't make it part of his toolbox. This needs to start at his exit interview by saying they want his bat in the lineup 4 of 5 days and some of those will be at catcher. I'm talking 20 games a year (unless they get a good backup catcher). He can hit lefties at 3B (assuming Moose is the starter there), spell Barrero at SS (or have him play some CF) and play 100-120 games.

Mahle had a Game Score of 93 last night. That's the highest number by anyone this season.

The Top-5:

Mahle 93
    Buehler 91
    Kershaw 90
    Detmers 88
    Pivetta 87

Greene's best was 83.

Mahle's previous best was 68 (his last start).

- - - Updated - - -

The Game Thread was pretty cool last night.

You could see that he was pitching the game of his life early in the game. I said as such somewhere in the 3rd, 4th or 5th innings. And, I didn't even have visual. There was a different, unique feel to it.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-15-2022 at 03:37 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

27. Likes:

M2 (06-15-2022)

Turn Off Ads?