Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

Re: How do we not have a Tyler Mahle thread?

In discussing these pitchers, it's notable that K rates today are very high, off the charts.

Average MLB K rate is 8.70 per nine. Average starter 8.35. Average reliever, real high, 9.23.

The goal today is to have pitchers missing bats from the first inning through the ninth. Analytics certainly a factor.

The reason I'm high on Mahle, despite some issues, is that he can do this. That's not the overall picture on the Reds.

The Reds' K rates are 7.56 staff-wide; 6.88 starters; 8.51 relievers. Must improve to compete today.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-06-2018 at 03:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll agree that Romano needs to increase his K rate from 4.7 per 9 and cut his walks in half. Too many HR right now as well. Perhaps I've been premature, but I still see a guy who should be a 6 to 7 k/9 guy but the BB/9 need to be below 3. I hadn't realized it was as bad as it was. I take back my idea that he'd be OK as a back end guy. Those numbers need to improve before we can say that..

KC and Mitri are right.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Mitri (05-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'll agree that Romano needs to increase his K rate from 4.7 per 9 and cut his walks in half. Too many HR right now as well. Perhaps I've been premature, but I still see a guy who should be a 6 to 7 k/9 guy but the BB/9 need to be below 3. I hadn't realized it was as bad as it was. I take back my idea that he'd be OK as a back end guy. Those numbers need to improve before we can say that..

KC and Mitri are right.
    So you’re off the wagon too because of the April starts, fine. The point isn’t that Romano doesn’t need to pitch better, he clearly does. It’s that we can give him more time than just April, particularly on the back of his solid 2017, before making these declarations that he’ll never get it or belongs in the bullpen
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So you’re off the wagon too because of the April starts, fine. The point isn’t that Romano doesn’t need to pitch better, he clearly does. It’s that we can give him more time than just April, particularly on the back of his solid 2017, before making these declarations that he’ll never get it or belongs in the bullpen
    I'm all for giving him more time. Finnegan is clearly on the bubble ahead of him and I still maintain that Bailey should be as well. Castillo needs to come around as well. The Reds don't have many internal options to replace any of them. I like Garrett right where he's at. Disco maybe, but the oblique has taken the attention away from the true question mark with him (his elbow). A promotion from AA for Keury Mella would probably be next. No rush to make that move. I'd have done it on a one or two start basis while Castillo went to the pen to fix his mechanics but I think an extended shot at the rotation is not something they should consider until after the All Star break. They need to get him to AAA ASAP IMO. None of the other AAA or AA starters are even an option IMO. The Reds would need to find a couple of guys before even getting to moving Romano out. Still, an FIP over 6 won't cut it. All his ratios (K/9, BB/9 and HR/9) need to improve over the next 10 or so starts or it's time to check the waiver wire for a replacement. Justin Nicolino might be the new Adelman if things don't improve.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-06-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Can Mahle pitch every game from here on out? I feel like he's the only Major League starter in the organization right now (though I'm still confident in Castillo when it's his turn...and Romano is not a complete disaster).

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Good point, and I agree. There is such a thing as “no hitter stuff.” But there are plenty of guys who have pitched no hitters without it.

I’m not ready to put Mahle in that category just yet, just because he’s pitched 6 no hit innings once.
    And Bailey parlayed 18 no hit innings into 100 mil. Just gotta catch Castellini's fancy.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    And Bailey parlayed 18 no hit innings into 100 mil. Just gotta catch Castellini's fancy.
    Actually, he parlayed 417.0 innings of 3.58 ERA baseball in 2012 and 2013 into $100M. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

10. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-09-2018),kaldaniels (05-08-2018),kpresidente (05-08-2018),Plus Plus (05-08-2018),reds44 (05-08-2018),The Operator (05-09-2018),TRF (05-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Actually, he parlayed 417.0 innings of 3.58 ERA baseball in 2012 and 2013 into $100M. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.
    Very intelligent decision

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I thought Mahle was more a back of the rotation guy
    Right now, I think they all are (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Very intelligent decision
    It wasn't nearly as bad of a decision as a lot of people like to pretend it was. There was risk involved, but people overreact big time because of how it turned out rather than looking at the information available at the time.

Homer Bailey, at the time he signed that deal, was roughly one of the 20 best starting pitchers alive over the previous two seasons. He got paid like that kind of guy.

14. Likes:

Chip R (05-11-2018)

Shame on the reds for not having the foresight to know when a guy is going to completely destroy his arm.

While at the same time wanting them to spend money on pitching. Because sure, why not?

It wasn't nearly as bad of a decision as a lot of people like to pretend it was. There was risk involved, but people overreact big time because of how it turned out rather than looking at the information available at the time.

Homer Bailey, at the time he signed that deal, was roughly one of the 20 best starting pitchers alive over the previous two seasons. He got paid like that kind of guy.
    This is nonsense.

“The information at the time told me to buy Blockbuster stock. Lots of it. Doesn’t matter that they went out of business and that I went broke, it was still the right decision at the time.”

And I liked the Homer deal when it was made, but to say that the ensuing result of a deal doesn’t matter when factoring whether or not the deal was good is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    This is nonsense.

“The information at the time told me to buy Blockbuster stock. Lots of it. Doesn’t matter that they went out of business and that I went broke, it was still the right decision at the time.”

And I liked the Homer deal when it was made, but to say that the ensuing result of a deal doesn’t matter when factoring whether or not the deal was good is absurd.
    So you're sitting on 20 in blackjack and hit, and get an Ace, and you say "I made the right decision"?

The right decision can wind up in a situation that doesn't work out. That doesn't make it the wrong decision. Likewise, the wrong decision CAN work out, but it doesn't make it the right decision, either. If it were guaranteed, there wouldn't be a decision.

18. Likes:

Chip R (05-11-2018),TRF (05-08-2018)

I didn't really like the deal at the time. But their is this funny narrative on the street that the signed a decent 4th or 5th starter to a mega-deal and got burned.

"And if you take out his best starts, he wasn't really that good!!!"

Mat Latos was even better during that period. They decided to offer that contract to Bailey but not Latos. So other reasons besides those numbers went into the decision. It’s not a stretch to think the no hitters were two of those reasons.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?