Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Hunter Greene

I suspect the Reds are considering him working out of the bullpen in a Cincinnati this year, if they are still in the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

757690 (06-13-2021),forfreelin04 (06-13-2021),mth123 (06-13-2021),Ron Madden (06-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If the Reds move Greene up to the bigs this season, I’d rather have him start games and work 3-5 innings on full rest. I’m suspicious of the impact of putting Greene in the bullpen.

I guess it doesn’t matter if he’s used very sparingly. But in the heat of battle, I’d rather avoid the frequent warm ups and game appearances.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-13-2021 at 10:38 AM.

5. Likes:

DocRed (06-13-2021),jwdoc77 (06-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I suspect the Reds are considering him working out of the bullpen in a Cincinnati this year, if they are still in the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I suspect the Reds are keeping that as an option in the back of their mind, but that they would prefer not go there. And I suspect they probably won't need to. Santillan is part of the equation based on how he looks during his stay. Hopefully Antone is there as hammer, and hopefully Lorenzen, they can add Lodolo.

I just think they save Hunter for 2022 if they can.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds move Greene up to the bigs this season, I’d rather have him start games and work 3-5 innings on full rest. I’m suspicious of the impact of putting Greene in the bullpen.

I guess it doesn’t matter if he’s used very sparingly. But in the heat of battle, I’d rather avoid the frequent warm ups and game appearances.
    counterpoint: a lot of pitchers who end up being great starters cut their teeth as relievers when they're rookies. david price is one example (not that he's great any longer, but he once was). he debuted with the rays as a rookie as a reliever, the first year they went to the world series. now, i don't think price had gone almost 3 years without pitching in a real game prior to that season (in fact I know he hadn't) but there are other examples as well. i think greene would be a good fit in the pen if the starters stay healthy. i like our starting rotation, especially now that vlad has replaced jeff hoffman who has no business on being on a MLB roster.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    If he dominates in AAA after three starts, I'd call him up to the big leagues. A thrown pitch in AAA is the same as a thrown pitch in MLB when it comes to a player recovering from injury. I do agree with an inning limit, but let it be for meaningful baseball please!
    Its not really the same though, because big league hitters make you throw so many more of them and punish a lot of the ones lesser guys look silly against. Long innings with high stress is where injuries come from. I'd be fine with Greene starting in AAA until around August 1 and then he can come up and help the Reds bullpen. Compete for a rotation spot next year, but he should start spring training on the outside looking in. There should be 6 or 7 guys ahead of him going into Spring Training next year .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-14-2021),Tom Servo (06-13-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-14-2021)

Babying power pitchers is becoming an antiquated philosophy. ItÂ’s pretty much a given most will have multiple injuries throughout their career. If a guy can average 100mph and proves he can locate then you canÂ’t waste those innings between injuries in the minors. Hopefully his first few starts in AAA are very successful and he gives them no choice about a call up.

Next year he will absolutely be in the rotation baring anything horrible happening.

12. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-13-2021),reds44 (06-14-2021)

If he does well in AAA I see no reason why you wouldn’t let him pitch 20 innings of so out of the bullpen at the end of whatever his innings limit is.

14. Likes:

Mitri (06-13-2021),mth123 (06-13-2021),Rojo Rijo (06-14-2021)

Last edited by texasdave; 06-13-2021 at 03:42 PM.

16. Likes:

CrackerJack (06-13-2021)

Congratulations Hunter! This kid has star written all over him. Just stay healthy.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-13-2021),Ron Madden (06-13-2021),Tom Servo (06-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    If he does well in AAA I see no reason why you wouldn’t let him pitch 20 innings of so out of the bullpen at the end of whatever his innings limit is.
    Yep, similar to how Tampa used David Price

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Yeah I would imagine his innings cap is pretty low after not pitching in a game in two years. I don’t see why you wouldn’t bring him up and pitch him out of the pen as he approaches it, assuming you’re in the race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I wonder why Greene and not Lodolo? Both are pitching extremely well, but Lodolo is a little older.

This? This was my 20,000th post?

I may as well have been posting about mayonnaise.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-14-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Lodolo has been battling blister problems

i just read that. He'll get to the Bats soon enough.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Anyone know if Hunter will rock 44 for the Bats, and if that is his (eventual) preferred number for Cincy?

I for one hope so.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?