Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The day he was put on the cover of sports illustrated.
    FIFY
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

2. Likes:

WrongVerb (07-03-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Nice

Edited to add: Damnit Homer, beat me to it.
    Asleep at the Switch? I wasn't asleep. I was drunk.
    There’s never too many “nice” comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-03-2018)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

I was gonna point out that Whitely made 4 starts in AA in his 2nd pro season, but then realized that Whitley was a full year older than Hunter at this same point last year. Hunter really is doing some special things at such a young age for the level he's in.

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm there, but I understand why others might want more proof. If he keeps this up and has similar success at A+ next year, THAT will start to get super exciting.
    It's not that I want proof, I just think sustained dominance is needed to consider anyone a generational prospect.

9. Likes:

Spanky (07-03-2018)

For those that forget, which is probably few on this thread, Hunter barely pitched last year, professional, high school or otherwise. I think it would be a fools errand to have him pitch anywhere outside of the midwest league (and futures game) the rest of this season. If/when they shut him down on his innings limit, if they'd like to send him to greenville to continue on his throwing program while he acts as the DH a handful of times a week, fine, but no need to push his pitching arm this season. Let him have a full off-season after a full regular season to develop his arm, get him to spring training ready fully rested and ready to run, then re-evaluate after half a season in High A next year.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

11. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (07-04-2018)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Now that Greene's numbers essentially mirror MacKenzie Gore's at the same level, I imagine that Hunter is also a top 20 prospect now.

But I thought he was a spoiled brat for wanting to get paid what he did?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Now that Greene's numbers essentially mirror MacKenzie Gore's at the same level, I imagine that Hunter is also a top 20 prospect now.
    According the MLB Greene is ranked 18 right now and I would say his numbers are better than Gore’s and trending much better. He keeps it up and I think he is looking at 10-12 by seasons end.

Dragons' Greene hits new career heights

"That was the best I've ever felt," Greene said. "I just kept it simple. Whenever I got back to the dugout, I just tried to stay warm, kept moving around and thought about who was coming up next and how to get them out based on what I know about their weaknesses and strengths. And my command was great tonight."

Baseball's No. 18 prospect allowed his first hit with two outs in the third inning. Jesse Berardi knocked a ground ball into right field for a single, but was stranded there after fourth-ranked Indians prospect Nolan Jones was punched out on five pitches.

"He did a great job mixing pitches tonight. He knew they were aggressive and he just went after them," said Dragons pitching coach Seth Etherton. "He was able to throw his breaking ball for a strike and his changeup was the best I've seen all year. Then as he got more confident, I think his fastball jumped out of his hand a little more.

"He really pitched tonight, and I think this may be a breakthrough for him in terms of trusting his stuff more and getting ahead more often. He was very efficient."
    "He's such a great competitor," Etherton added. "And these are the types of games you need to have to see what you've got mentally. We know about his physical tools, but he showed mental toughness. He really didn't take a pitch off, there was strength and commitment to every pitch, and that might be the most important thing he's learning right now."
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

BillDoran (07-04-2018),mace (07-03-2018),Tuff Nut (07-04-2018)

TennesseeRed

Definitely happy to see. All you hope for is to see the flashes early on and then for them to build on it.

Anyone else find it weird that we throw fits about young pitcher’s innings and pitch counts,, but we let Greene go full throttle at 100+ every time out? Can’t he learn just as much pitching at 95?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Anyone else find it weird that we throw fits about young pitcher’s innings and pitch counts,, but we let Greene go full throttle at 100+ every time out? Can’t he learn just as much pitching at 95?
    I'm not so sure it matters when he only throws 69 pitches and allowed two baserunners. Sounds like a pretty low-stress outing. Let it fly

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

20. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-05-2018),Edd Roush (07-03-2018),Old school 1983 (07-04-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

When you go out and pitch at 95, 100 isn't going to be there soon enough.

22. Likes:

Rolando (07-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by butsch16 View Post
    I'm not so sure it matters when he only throws 69 pitches and allowed two baserunners. Sounds like a pretty low-stress outing. Let it fly

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

24. Likes:

butsch16 (07-04-2018),Tom Servo (07-04-2018)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

When you have an arm like Greene's, throwing 100 isn't any more stressful than throwing 95. He doesn't load up to throw 100, it's his cruising speed.

Turn Off Ads?