Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Anyone else find it weird that we throw fits about young pitcher’s innings and pitch counts,, but we let Greene go full throttle at 100+ every time out? Can’t he learn just as much pitching at 95?
    He is also not "full throttle" max effort throwing at 100. Look at his delivery, it is controlled at that speed. He is not Rob Dibbling it to get that velocity.

2. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-05-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Jose Fernandez pitched in the 2012 Futures Game about 2 weeks before he turned 20 years old. Greene is over a full year younger than that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

reds44 (07-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Jose Fernandez pitched in the 2012 Futures Game about 2 weeks before he turned 20 years old. Greene is over a full year younger than that.
    Please keep Greene away from boats and alcohol.

I had forgotten about J. Fernandez this season until you brought it up. I seriously miss watching that guy pitch. He was so good.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CRDB40 View Post

I had forgotten about J. Fernandez this season until you brought it up. I seriously miss watching that guy pitch. He was so good.
    Yea it's really unfortunate that he was as irresponsible as he was.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think he's the closest comp to Greene. Greene seems to have a much better head on his shoulders, too stay away from trouble anyway.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

What’s his earliest realistic ETA in Cincinnati? September 2020?

Cough, Cough, and Coke. Alchohol, Coke and a fast boat at night are recipe for disaster.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

12. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Cough, Cough, and Coke. Alchohol, Coke and a fast boat at night are recipe for disaster.
    I’d say not being in Miami should help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Blotto View Post
    What’s his earliest realistic ETA in Cincinnati? September 2020?
    That’s what I would think. Start next year at High A and finish at Double A. Start 2020 in AAA and get the end of year callup would seem to be some form of the quickest imaginable path.

15. Likes:

Joey Blotto (07-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    That’s what I would think. Start next year at High A and finish at Double A. Start 2020 in AAA and get the end of year callup would seem to be some form of the quickest imaginable path.
    Yes I was thinking similar promotional milestones.

I’m curious to see how aggressive they are with stretching his innings out over the next couple years. What’s the general rule-of-thumb? +20 IPs per year? +30?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    From my standpoint, they ARE going slow with him this year. He's a "generational talent" playing in the Midwest League for God's sake. If he goes to the FSL next year and the Southern League the year after, is that too fast for a generational talent? Not if he's really a generational talent.
    Has there been an announcement one way or another on whether he's going to stay in Dayton all year? Isn't now about the time for mid-season promotions?

I wouldn't be surprised either way but I haven't heard anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Probably not, no need to announce something you are not going to do, just in case you change your mind for one reason or another and have to do something different. I doubt they'd say if there was a plan to get him a few innings in High A if they so deemed because what if they get toward the end of the season and decide its best to keep him down, or even shut him down? I'm sure there are internal conversations about their plan that they share with Hunter and those in the Dragons front office, but nothing they would or even should announce publicly.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Broadcasters’ View: Who Have Been the Top Players in the Midwest League?

2. Hunter Greene: So raw but so much fun to watch. His first 20-some pitches, and 45 of the first 46, were fastballs against us, so he wasn’t working on offspeed stuff that game — but when the fastballs were all 97-101, it was fun to watch the radar gun. He threw strikes — no walks, two hits, five Ks in four innings against us — and seems to have figured things out after a rough start. Will be fun to watch how he grows.
    2/3. Hunter Greene/MacKenzie Gore: Putting these two together because we saw them both pitch brief stints in April. Greene fared poorly while Gore did not make much of an impression. Then we saw them again on the current road trip, Greene for five innings and Gore for two, and it was clear that they’re each special pitchers. Greene’s breaking ball was the best outpitch I’ve seen this year, while Gore overpowered with his fastball.
    2. Hunter Greene: We’ve seen him three times now and I feel like he’s gotten better every time. When we saw him in April, he had the blazing fastball but not great command and was getting hit hard. By July, he was locating his fastball and using his breaking stuff a lot more. He was a guy with more of a full arsenal, rather than just a novelty flame thrower.
    3. Hunter Greene: Best arm to come through the Midwest League in the last 10 years. Has a long way to go, but you can’t teach 101 mph by a starter.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

BillDoran (07-14-2018),Hillsdale87 (07-14-2018),Redeyecat (07-16-2018),REDREAD (07-17-2018),reds44 (07-16-2018),Rolando (07-14-2018)

He still bangs

Does anybody know if the futures game is free tomorrow? Or am I going to have to subscribe?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm sure there are internal conversations about their plan that they share with Hunter and those in the Dragons front office, but nothing they would or even should announce publicly.
    Players are not told about any intentions to move them up until it is time to pack their bags. They don’t want them thinking about that stuff. Assume you are staying put. Dragons front office would not be told anything either. The team he is going to might be told slightly in advance, like a day, to get things in order with a host family or a hotel reservation, and to make arrangements to pick him up at the airport.

Doubt he goes anywhere this season. He is a long, long way away from anyone having any idea about a timetable for ETA in the bigs. He is a generational talent, yes, no doubt about it. He is not a generational player at this time. They hope he becomes that. His ability to learn and improve will dictate that, not any timetable someone might have. If he ends up spending two full years in Daytona, it would not necessarily mean he couldn’t become just as good a major leaguer as he could be if he only spent two months there. It would just mean it took a little longer than expected to get through that stage of the development process.

He has a lot to learn. Who knows how long it will take? We just know he has tools that are basically off the charts.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-15-2018),Edd Roush (07-16-2018),medford (07-16-2018),nmculbreth (07-15-2018),Old school 1983 (07-15-2018),RED VAN HOT (07-15-2018),REDREAD (07-17-2018),reds44 (07-16-2018),RiverRat13 (07-15-2018),Tom Servo (07-15-2018)

Turn Off Ads?