Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Does anybody know if the futures game is free tomorrow? Or am I going to have to subscribe?
    It's on MLB network or you can watch it on MLB.com
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

2. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (07-15-2018),Old school 1983 (07-15-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Good lord his stuff is crazy.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Good lord his stuff is crazy.
    He was touching 103 like it was easy. Granted, it was a short outing, but still. Hot damn...

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-15-2018),Spanky (07-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    He was touching 103 like it was easy. Granted, it was a short outing, but still. Hot damn...
    We need to trade him for a 2-3 starter with a 4 to 4.5 era. Duh.

9. Likes:

Spanky (07-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Easy to imagine that slider being an absolute wipeout offering in a few years too.

Anyone have an update on how he did? I can’t find anything online and not able to watch the eve until tomorrow. He get racked or acquit himself quite well?

Gave up a 2-run tater, but his stuff is filthy. 'Bout what I expected - raw, but amazing potential. If the Reds get this right it's scary how good he can be with another couple of years of development. Very mature for his age. Got as much (or more) adulation as anyone else.

A year ago, Greene was playing high school ball in California. Then he became the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 Draft, and now he's showing why. Greene threw 19 fastballs on Sunday, and every single one touched triple digits. He averaged 101.3 mph, topping out at 103.1. Six pitches were measured at 102 mph or more.

The pitch tracking era goes all the way back to 2008, and only 10 pitchers since then have touched 102 mph six times or more. Remember, we're talking about entire careers in some cases, over more than decade. Greene just did it in two innings, like it was nothing.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/alonso-gree...?tid=151437456

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-16-2018),Redeyecat (07-16-2018),reds44 (07-16-2018),Spanky (07-16-2018)

Man he will make a great closer!
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

16. Likes:

ScotlandRed (07-15-2018),Spanky (07-16-2018)

Six pitches were measured at 102 mph or more.

The pitch tracking era goes all the way back to 2008, and only 10 pitchers since then have touched 102 mph six times or more. Remember, we're talking about entire careers in some cases, over more than decade. Greene just did it in two innings, like it was nothing.
    I think Reds fans may have gotten spoiled by watching Aroldis ring that bell so many times when he closed here. The main differences are Greene is 18, he's not fully developed yet & he does it effortlessly deeper into games (I believe when he started games Chapman's heater dropped to a 97/98 mph average.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-16-2018 at 06:20 AM.

He looks like a grown man and why trade your future?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Gave up a 2-run tater, but his stuff is filthy. 'Bout what I expected - raw, but amazing potential. If the Reds get this right it's scary how good he can be with another couple of years of development. Very mature for his age. Got as much (or more) adulation as anyone else.
    Harold Reynolds stated his fastball was "too far down in the zone" on the broadcast. Hunter is learning how to pitch now because velocity doesn't work vs. capable hitters. The stuff is there, patience folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Daren Willman

@darenw
    .@Reds prospect Hunter Greene threw 19 pitches 100 MPH+ today in the Futures Game.

Since 2008 there's been 4 teams that haven't thrown that many pitches 100 MPH+
    Twins 1
    Dbacks 3
    Brewers 9
    Indians 13
    5:38 PM - Jul 15, 2018

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I think Reds fans may have gotten spoiled by watching Aroldis ring that bell so many times when he closed here. The main differences are Greene is 18, he's not fully developed yet & he does it effortlessly deeper into games (I believe when he started games Chapman's heater dropped to a 97/98 mph average.
    Chapman was 93-96 as a starter, for that half-season in which he started in the minors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    He looks like a grown man and why trade your future?
    Have you seen my future? It's not looking great. I'm trading and hoping for better. I hope the Reds don't trade Hunter Greene, though.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Players are not told about any intentions to move them up until it is time to pack their bags. They don’t want them thinking about that stuff. Assume you are staying put. Dragons front office would not be told anything either. The team he is going to might be told slightly in advance, like a day, to get things in order with a host family or a hotel reservation, and to make arrangements to pick him up at the airport.

Doubt he goes anywhere this season. He is a long, long way away from anyone having any idea about a timetable for ETA in the bigs. He is a generational talent, yes, no doubt about it. He is not a generational player at this time. They hope he becomes that. His ability to learn and improve will dictate that, not any timetable someone might have. If he ends up spending two full years in Daytona, it would not necessarily mean he couldn’t become just as good a major leaguer as he could be if he only spent two months there. It would just mean it took a little longer than expected to get through that stage of the development process.

He has a lot to learn. Who knows how long it will take? We just know he has tools that are basically off the charts.
    Thanks for the feedback. When I said plan, I was thinking big picture, like start of the year, would they (potentially) tell Hunter that their plan was for him to pitch in Dayton all year, get X amount of innings, X amount of pitches per game, how they wanted to ramp him up/down thru the season, etc...?

Not really Hunter specifically, would they do that for any player, or more specifically the higher level prospects, let them know of a plan for a mid-season promotion if they hit their developmental targets give them goals to obtain and rewards to be had if they reached or exceeded those goals? I guess I assumed that with a dude like Hunter, they had the season (in a perfect world) mostly mapped out before spring training, and would share that map with Hunter. Obviously there may be detours along the way, but would they not share their general, current season big picture plan with a Hunter Greene or Taylor Trammel, Senzel, India, etc.?
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Turn Off Ads?