Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    BUMP

Hunter Greene is back and throwing a baseball.

https://www.milb.com/ (Scroll down a little to see the tweet/Instagram/whatever it is)

A couple of nice easy tosses.
    Right arm still attached. Better than expected.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Hunter Greene update from milb.com:
    Cincinnati Reds: Hunter Greene is on the mend -- Greene, who regularly touches triple digits and has an above-average slider, was one of the most promising talents to ever enter the Cincinnati system when the Reds took him second overall in 2017. After missing all of 2019 following Tommy John surgery in April, the phenom is ready to return. The 20-year-old right-hander tweeted in September that he was throwing again and provided another update on Nov. 15 that he was done rehabbing in Arizona until January. All of that is promising news for a return to a Minor League mound in 2020.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-28-2019),757690 (11-28-2019),Edd Roush (11-28-2019),kaldaniels (11-28-2019),North (11-28-2019),RED VAN HOT (11-28-2019),Revering4Blue (11-29-2019),RiverRat13 (11-28-2019),Tuff Nut (11-29-2019)

Really looking forward to Hunter's return. Cautiously optamistic, but excited.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-29-2019),Stingray (12-02-2019)

Hopefully they dont rush him. He had TJ in April so it should reasonably be July or so before he takes the mound. No more rushing a guy back (a mistake the Reds have made) too soon.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

9. Likes:

HokieRed (12-03-2019),marcshoe (12-02-2019),REDREAD (12-02-2019),RiverRat13 (11-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hopefully they dont rush him. He had TJ in April so it should reasonably be July or so before he takes the mound. No more rushing a guy back (a mistake the Reds have made) too soon.
    Yes, this is my biggest fear.
    Absolutely no reason at all to rush him.
    I am not claiming they are rushing him now, looks like he is just throwing, I am not a doctor, etc.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

His entire timetable to return was likely set before they even performed the surgery. The only changes would be due to setbacks. That is typically the way it works in the minor leagues. Once the injury is diagnosed, they set a schedule. In some cases, the plan might be to rest for a pre-determined length of time, then rehab. Once the player resumes baseball activities, sometimes it becomes clear pretty quickly that the injury did not heal as they had hoped and surgery is necessary. In this case, he has already had the surgery. I would bet good money that the Reds know right now, almost to the day, the first day that Hunter will throw off a mound, the first day he will throw live BP, and the first day he will pitch in a game. More than the expected level of soreness after any of those activities would push the timetable back a little. For minor league players, throwing programs for returns from injuries are very carefully thought out and not rushed. If the injured area does not respond to the rehab as desired, changes to the schedule are made.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-02-2019),ochoa30 (12-02-2019),Old school 1983 (12-02-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-02-2019),RedlegJake (12-03-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019),Revering4Blue (12-02-2019),RiverRat13 (12-02-2019),Tommyjohn25 (12-06-2019),Tuff Nut (12-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    His entire timetable to return was likely set before they even performed the surgery.
    Absolutely true, though the longstanding concern with the Reds is they set aggressive timetables for coming back from TJ surgery.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

RedlegJake (12-03-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019),Revering4Blue (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Absolutely true, though the longstanding concern with the Reds is they set aggressive timetables for coming back from TJ surgery.
    While that is certainly been true in recent years, some of the changes in the Reds minor league player development, as well as the newer updated emphasis on sports medicine and nutrition, could bring about positive changes in the Reds aggressive schedules. But you are definitely correct. The team has not been very patient in allowing these TJ pitchers to properly heal.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

16. Likes:

M2 (12-03-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    While that is certainly been true in recent years, some of the changes in the Reds minor league player development, as well as the newer updated emphasis on sports medicine and nutrition, could bring about positive changes in the Reds aggressive schedules. But you are definitely correct. The team has not been very patient in allowing these TJ pitchers to properly heal.
    I'm hoping it changes. However, the news on Greene is making me less than optimistic about that.

18. Likes:

MikeS21 (12-03-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019)

I'm hoping it changes. However, the news on Greene is making me less than optimistic about that.
    Soft tossing at this juncture doesn’t worry me. But I really REALLY hope that they will put the brakes on those 100 mph fastballs until at least the latter part of the summer.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

20. Likes:

M2 (12-03-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    It works a little differently. When you say changes in player development, I assume you are talking about some of the new coordinators and coaches, like Boddy. Those changes would not impact the timetable for a return from an injury for one simple reason: the people in that sub-group don’t have any input.

I have written this before and it is surprising to some people. In the minor leagues, the days of a manager talking an injured player into staying in a game or accelerating his return from an injury are long gone, past history. The coaches don’t have a vote. For in-game injuries, the trainer makes the decision. The manager may disagree, he doesn’t have input. The trainer tells the manager if the player is available or unavailable. I have had many conversations with trainers about injuries. Often, the trainer will say, “I took (player) out of the game.”

The timetable on a return from Tommy John or any other injury is set by the medical staff. The coaches do what the schedule dictates. If the schedule says on a particular day, a pitcher will make 30 throws off flat ground, the pitching coach accompanies the player, but he would never suggest that the player throw a few extra or whatever.

I don’t really know who you are referring to regarding players being rushed back. Bailey? Wood? It would be really hard for anyone to make that charge without knowing what the timetable was and why it was set that way. Kremchek and some others have a lot of power. If Kremchek has been criticized for anything, it would probably be waiting too long for elbow soreness to heal before resorting to Tommy John, thus losing more time, but he is always going to be looking at surgery as something to avoid unless there is no choice.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-10-2019),Edd Roush (12-07-2019),RedsfaninMT (12-08-2019),texasdave (12-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    It works a little differently. When you say changes in player development, I assume you are talking about some of the new coordinators and coaches, like Boddy. Those changes would not impact the timetable for a return from an injury for one simple reason: the people in that sub-group don’t have any input.

I have written this before and it is surprising to some people. In the minor leagues, the days of a manager talking an injured player into staying in a game or accelerating his return from an injury are long gone, past history. The coaches don’t have a vote. For in-game injuries, the trainer makes the decision. The manager may disagree, he doesn’t have input. The trainer tells the manager if the player is available or unavailable. I have had many conversations with trainers about injuries. Often, the trainer will say, “I took (player) out of the game.”

The timetable on a return from Tommy John or any other injury is set by the medical staff. The coaches do what the schedule dictates. If the schedule says on a particular day, a pitcher will make 30 throws off flat ground, the pitching coach accompanies the player, but he would never suggest that the player throw a few extra or whatever.

I don’t really know who you are referring to regarding players being rushed back. Bailey? Wood? It would be really hard for anyone to make that charge without knowing what the timetable was and why it was set that way. Kremchek and some others have a lot of power. If Kremchek has been criticized for anything, it would probably be waiting too long for elbow soreness to heal before resorting to Tommy John, thus losing more time, but he is always going to be looking at surgery as something to avoid unless there is no choice.
    Bailey and Volquez are two we know of who were back pitching in big league games less than a year after TJ. Neither ever regained their form. Standard timing is 12 to 18 months, but these two biggest name pitchers the Reds have had with TJ in the last 10 years both came back in less than 12 months. Both suffered setbacks and when the y did come back they weren't the same pitchers the were before being injured.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

24. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Bailey and Volquez are two we know of who were back pitching in big league games less than a year after TJ. Neither ever regained their form. Standard timing is 12 to 18 months, but these two biggest name pitchers the Reds have had with TJ in the last 10 years both came back in less than 12 months. Both suffered setbacks and when the y did come back they weren't the same pitchers the were before being injured.
    Bailey started his rehab in the minors just shy of 12 months. I don’t know how outrageous that is.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Bailey started his rehab in the minors just shy of 12 months. I don’t know how outrageous that is.
    We had long threads on it at the time. It was a dopey plan.

27. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2019)

We had long threads on it at the time. It was a dopey plan.
    I don’t know what normal is though. I’d prefer to be safe of course and take it slow. Yet I remember Doug dying on the hill that Bailey would be back in TEN months.

Turn Off Ads?