Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Maybe they wanted him to face some adversity. He's seemingly dominated high school. Probably every level since little league. Not saying it's right or smart but it could have been a consideration
    I would suggest that this was part of Cingrani’s and R. Stephenson’s problem. They dominated early in their pro career, never faced adversity, so they were shell shocked when they eventually encountered it.

They say kids whose parents let them play in the dirt end up getting sick less as adults.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    No, it's not all bad luck. His fastball has been too straight and he has struggled with control in his past few starts. The same thing happens to a huge percentage of pitchers when they're exposed to Low-A for the first time. But there has also been a great deal of bad luck. If you choose to disregard that, then that's on you.

The Reds have definitely had issues developing pitching. However, I don't see how Greene is being "ruined" by having some bad outings in Dayton.
    Because they are wasting a season where he could actually be developing and making his way toward his future. Now he's flailing around for a few hitters and being lifted from the game. How is that actually helping him progress?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-05-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Because they are wasting a season where he could actually be developing and making his way toward his future. Now he's flailing around for a few hitters and being lifted from the game. How is that actually helping him progress?
    In theory: By showing him he needs to adjust what he's currently doing, because maybe that stuff would eat kids up in Arizona.

6. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-07-2018),Redeyecat (05-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In theory: By showing him he needs to adjust what he's currently doing, because maybe that stuff would eat kids up in Arizona.
    I'm sure that's just how the Reds planned it. Lets over-promote him and let him get blown off the mound. That will show him what he needs to do.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

M2 (05-04-2018),membengal (05-05-2018),REDREAD (05-05-2018),RiverRat13 (05-04-2018),The Operator (05-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. If I recall correctly, the expected BABIP for EVERY PITCHER from Clayton Kershaw to Yovani Gallardo is roughly .300.
    There's a few pitchers who will stay below that (but not by much) some pitchers would be consistently above .300 (again not by much).
    The problem with this assumption is that a MLB pitcher needs to have a basic level of competence in order to accumulate enough innings to make the sample size meaningful.. Gallardo (small sample size of course) had a 583 BABIP when he was with the Reds this year.. Sure, that is likely to go down , if he was given enough innings, but would it go down to 300? I am not sure.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up Danny Darwin.. his career BABIP allowed was 277. IMO, that is significantly better than 300.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The problem with this assumption is that a MLB pitcher needs to have a basic level of competence in order to accumulate enough innings to make the sample size meaningful.. Gallardo (small sample size of course) had a 583 BABIP when he was with the Reds this year.. Sure, that is likely to go down , if he was given enough innings, but would it go down to 300? I am not sure.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up Danny Darwin.. his career BABIP allowed was 277. IMO, that is significantly better than 300.
    In the old days, BABIP's were lower than .300, maybe closer to .290. .277 is a fraction off of .290, it could be simply random variation.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

.270 is to .300 as compared to Greene's current BABIP(I think it was .633?) is to .300

I see your point that the sample is self selected to a point.
    But if we're talking about drawing conclusions, then I think it makes sense to normalize the BABIP somewhat, if not all the way down to .300, then at least within shouting distance.
    Unless you're observing something that says the .633 BABIP is likely to continue. And if you're observing that, then it won't matter because all hope is lost anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Just announced:

Dayton Dragons
    @DragonsBaseball

The Dragons have announced a starting pitcher change for tomorrow (Tues). Hunter Greene will not pitch. This is a skipped start to keep his total number of pitches for the season below a desired number. Greene will pitch on Saturday, May 12. Austin Orewiler will start on Tuesday.
    7:57pm · 7 May 2018 ·
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Not much change for Orewiler. He enters the game after the first inning anyway when Greene starts.

14. Likes:

JaxRed (05-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Just announced:
    Probably a half-truth, but whatever.....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Just something that struck me with Orewiler bailing out Greene in his last start:

Orewiler DOB: 5/14/93

Greene DOB: 8/6/99
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Just something that struck me with Orewiler bailing out Greene in his last start:

Orewiler DOB: 5/14/93

Greene DOB: 8/6/99
    A little surprised Orewiler is at Dayton. He had pretty good numbers in Daytona last year.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Hunter Greene should buy a house in Dayton

because it looks like he will be there a while. I am not giving up on him yet, but his ERA is over 10 after seven starts. 17 IP, 30 hits. Ouch!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Hunter Greene should buy a house in Dayton

This might be better located in one of the Greene threads in the minor league forum.

But yeah, he's not gotten off to a great start in his first full season as a pro.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Re: Hunter Greene should buy a house in Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This might be better located in one of the Greene threads in the minor league forum.

But yeah, he's not gotten off to a great start in his first full season as a pro.
    Moiged......................
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?