Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall named new GM

Re: Nick Krall named new GM

C. Trent is spinning it as kind of just a natural progression given the way baseball titles change and how 'GM' doesn't mean 'GM' anymore, but seeing as it's early May and the Reds are in the cellar I don't see how this could be viewed as anything but at least something of a repudiation of Dick Williams by ownership.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 05-10-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

The Operator (05-10-2018),Todd Gack (05-10-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    C. Trent is spinning it as kind of just a natural progression given the way baseball titles change and how 'GM' doesn't mean 'GM' anymore, but seeing as it's early May and the Reds are in the cellar I don't see how they could be viewed as anything but at least something of a repudiation of Dick Williams by ownership.
    I would normally think moving up from GM to President, based purely on merits would require the GM to have won say, at least 70 games?

Don't think Dick has earned that promotion yet.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2018),Tom Servo (05-10-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Big Klu (05-10-2018),Chip R (05-10-2018),Gandalf the Red (05-10-2018),M2 (05-10-2018)

Will forever be known as Ruxin.

Reds baseball, forever unclean!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

9. Likes:

dlconn (05-11-2018),Edd Roush (05-10-2018),M2 (05-10-2018),nmculbreth (05-10-2018),ochoa30 (05-10-2018),RichRed (05-10-2018),Spanky (05-10-2018),Tom Servo (05-10-2018),Yachtzee (05-11-2018)

C. Trent is spinning it as kind of just a natural progression given the way baseball titles change and how 'GM' doesn't mean 'GM' anymore, but seeing as it's early May and the Reds are in the cellar I don't see how they could be viewed as anything but at least something of a repudiation of Dick Williams by ownership.
    I guess I'm with C. Trent then. I bet you this was 100% a Dick Williams decision. He gets to be more of a big picture guy, while letting more of a true GM handle the GM stuff.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

11. Likes:

lollipopcurve (05-10-2018),Ron Madden (05-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I would think this is a way to illustrate Dick is in over his head as the primary point of contact and chief decision maker. Trend nowadays seems to be kicking the guy upstairs takes that away.
    Or it’s like the Cubs where Theo (Dick) is really the primary decision maker and Hoyer (Krall) is GM in title only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I guess I'm with C. Trent then. I bet you this was 100% a Dick Williams decision. He gets to be more of a big picture guy, while letting more of a true GM handle the GM stuff.
    But then why wasn't this move made over the winter, like when Dick was announced as GM in November 2015? Why early May?

I won't claim to be a corporate expert but ceding power, even if just something like a title, generally doesn't seem like something people in full control generally do. Especially when things are going bad.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

JohnC. (05-10-2018),REDREAD (05-10-2018),Revering4Blue (05-10-2018)

But then why wasn't this move made over the winter, like when Dick was announced as GM in November 2015? Why early May?

I won't claim to be a corporate expert but ceding power, even if just something like a title, generally doesn't seem like something people in full control generally do. Especially when things are going bad.
    I agree. You're out of contention after two weeks of the season. This is an example of the "Peter Principle"

17. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2018)

This is 100% cynical speculation, but the thought has crossed my mind that Williams thought they were closer to competing when he took over as GM and has since decided he’s not a big fan of being the focal point of the blame for a horribly performing team.

19. Likes:

Always Red (05-10-2018),M2 (05-10-2018),REDREAD (05-10-2018),wally post (05-10-2018)

He got promoted, he didn’t cede power.

EDIT: no he didn’t get promoted I’m going to shut up now
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    This is 100% cynical speculation, but the thought has crossed my mind that Williams thought they were closer to competing when he took over as GM and has since decided he’s not a big fan of being the focal point of the blame for a horribly performing team.
    Firing Price to go with the bad start and now the Harvey trade has definitely put more national spotlight on the Reds than there has been since about mid 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    He got promoted, he didn’t cede power.

EDIT: no he didn’t get promoted I’m going to shut up now
    Right, I made that mistake initially about Walt when I had read about Dick becoming the new GM in 2015. Walt didn't get a promotion, and neither is Dick. It's ceding power.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    Don't feel bad. Every thought on the board right now is cynical speculation.

23. Likes:

Donder (05-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn View Post
    Finally, some star power! His show on Comedy Central was hilarious.
    I was about to say that I wasn't too sure about this move.

25. Likes:

757690 (05-10-2018),Chip R (05-10-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ok, I'm not on board at all with this move...

Jim Bowden
    @JimBowdenGM

Congrats to Nick Krall being named GM of #Reds . Dick Williams remains President and leaders of baseball ops.. #Reds set-up chain of command same as: Cubs, A’s, Indians, Blue Jays, Dodgers etc. The GM job is no longer a one person job and #Reds make smart infrastructure change
    9:00pm · 10 May 2018
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This post ought to win some sort Redszone award for understated brilliance.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

28. Likes:

TRF (05-10-2018),WrongVerb (05-10-2018)

Turn Off Ads?