Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall named new GM

Re: Nick Krall named new GM

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-p...er/c-276146016

Williams also noted there unspecified "internal projects" that will be happening this summer.

"Given the amount of time that's going to take, I think it's important to have two people empowered with the title of GM and president to be able to cover all the bases," Williams said. "I do see an increase in workload this year with what we're trying to accomplish and the speed with which we want to accomplish it."

Wonder what this could mean.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I would guess that one of these “internal projects” would be a manager search and perhaps a scouting overhaul.

The former I’d bet on because I doubt Riggleman is here next season, the latter is pure speculation on my part, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I think (hope) a lot of changes are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am shocked people are saying this move was for Dick to have a fall guy and it has nothing to do with Krall’s experience.

Shocked.
    We'll have to see how much actual authority Krall gets. Yet shifting the blame is day that ends in y stuff in the business world. Seen it more times than I can count. Dilbert milked an entire comic strip out of it. Impossible to say exactly what it is, though.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2018)

A new bar for millennials at GABP?

7. Likes:

Big Klu (05-10-2018),Bob Sheed (05-10-2018),mth123 (05-10-2018),REDREAD (05-10-2018),Redsfaithful (05-11-2018)

Williams' today: "He (Krall) may be thanking me now, but he probably won't be later." (para-phrasing)

I took that as "it's a tough job" and Williams' just isn't up for it....or, there's just a lot of work to be done in a short period of time and it will require a lot of time and effort (leaning towards the latter, but also a little of both).

9. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2018),Tom Servo (05-10-2018),Tony Cloninger (05-10-2018)

May have already been answered but does this guy have any decision making authority with all his predecessors still in bigger offices just down the hall?

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    A new bar for millennials at GABP?
    I hope so. There aren't enough bars there.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

Donder (05-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    We'll have to see how much actual authority Krall gets. Yet shifting the blame is day that ends in y stuff in the business world. Seen it more times than I can count. Dilbert milked an entire comic strip out of it. Impossible to say exactly what it is, though.
    You’re right. It does happen all the time. In this case though? I doubt it. I think that maybe ownership or maybe Williams himself realized that he wasn’t up to the job alone and he needed help. More speculation on my part, but I think it’s a more likely scenario than putting in a fall guy in order for Williams to save face.

14. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-11-2018),Tom Servo (05-10-2018)

The order is in for the Sebring convertible.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    1. Legitimately surprised they made this move. At the very least it means DW is feeling enough heat to put a firewall guy in place.

2. Given that Krall's internal, I don't think it means much of a change. Maybe Krall becomes more of the public face and does more of the haggling. I'm guessing Dick still sets the agenda and makes the decisions. At least that's my guess.

3. There is the possibilty they're setting up for a clean sweep in which a new head of baseball ops comes in, hires a new manager and DW gets a comfy do-nothing gig as VP of Nepotistic Operations. I'm not saying that will happen, but the Reds are now in a position of offering someone the whole shebang. We're a mess, fix us.

4. Could be wrong, but I suspect the mockery and derision coming from the national media has the ownership a bit shook. "Hey, they know we suck."
    The secret is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

18. Likes:

M2 (05-10-2018)

Fortnite tournament fundraiser for David Price's rehab care expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    You’re right. It does happen all the time. In this case though? I doubt it. I think that maybe ownership or maybe Williams himself realized that he wasn’t up to the job alone and he needed help. More speculation on my part, but I think it’s a more likely scenario than putting in a fall guy in order for Williams to save face.
    One guess is as good as another on this. I can see the case for and against CYA.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Williams and Krall are building a treehouse?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

22. Likes:

Gandalf the Red (05-11-2018),Old school 1983 (05-10-2018),Tom Servo (05-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He fired himself for trading for Harvey.

Really, this was just a matter of time. DW has noted several times that the constant demands of being a GM, along with having 4 young kids, were a challenge for him.
    My guess is that DW thought being a GM would be fun, kind of like playing fantasy baseball.
    The guy has probably never had a job where he actually had to work hard and have stress in his life, born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I guess that's why there was no trades over the winter, DW had to help direct the kids' holiday play...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I would normally think moving up from GM to President, based purely on merits would require the GM to have won say, at least 70 games?

Don't think Dick has earned that promotion yet.
    The Reds firmly agree with using the Peter Principle.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think the FSO ticker has it spelled "Kroll," so I guess they're the first to be Nick Krolled.

Turn Off Ads?