Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cincinnati Neighborhoods

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Cincinnati Neighborhoods

Thanks, everybody, this is really helpful.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    With that being said is this a permanent move or something short term? Are you looking to rent or buy? What is your budget?
    We would be looking to rent—we just bought a house here that we'll be renting out. If we end up really liking it up there, we'll sell it in a couple years and look to buy.

As far as budget goes, a lot of it depends on where she finds work. That's one of the main reasons for wanting to be in/near Cincinnati, that she has a better chance to find a job there. If we end up in Oxford, she would have to go with traffic in and out of town.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Just came across your thread. I'll chime in as a resident of the city for nearly 40 years.

I'll counter Doug's comment about Northside. No question, any urban neighborhood will have issues, safety and others. Actually, I think that's true in any large metropolitan area, to some degree or another. Northside is a great neighborhood, very walkable with lots of nearby businesses (great record store at Shake It Records - rated 2nd best in the country on Yelp!). But it's becoming very pricey. My son and his wife live there and got in at a high price and prices have gone up since. Not sure what your price range is.

The neighborhood that folks who are being priced out of Northside is my own, Spring Grove Village (formerly Winton Place), just north of Northside. We don't have a business district like Northside does, but we're any easy jaunt over there (I've been going to Northside since 1979 when I first opened my business and got a P.O. box at the post office that was there and where I still do my banking there). And I know it's quick, because it's an easy jaunt for us to go see our granddaughter!

We have a very active neighborhood community. We're a racially diverse neighborhood and a good economic mix of folks. Lots of folks your age are moving into the neighborhood following on the footsteps of many of us who moved here 40-45 years ago in our 20's. As for access to US 27, it's a quick drive up Winton Road to Cross County (Reagan) Highway and heading west over to Colerain Avenue (US 27) - keep in mind Colerain Avenue ends in Northside too (although a small portion of it picks back up elsewhere in Camp Washington). There is a Kroger store right in the neighborhood and we're conveniently located close to I-75, I-74 and when traffic is bogged down on the interstate, it's super simple to just take Spring Grove Avenue all the way downtown. Likewise, it's a quick trip up to Clifton, by the University of Cincinnati.

Another affordable possibility is the next neighborhood east of us, although not actually part of the city of Cincinnati - that's St. Bernard. It's its own municipality, but is essentially surrounded by Cincinnati. It's a bit of a throwback neighborhood. Families have lived there for generations. My brother and some friends live and have been there for 30+ years. They're still sort of newcomers. But again, it's an affordable neighborhood, just on the other side of I-75 from Spring Grove Village.

Message me if you have any questions.

Spring Grove Cemetery is in the neighborhood (it also borders Northside) where my wife and I often go for walks and where we see joggers regularly. It's a stunningly beautiful gem right in the heart of the city.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

5. Likes:

'69 (08-11-2018),*BaseClogger* (05-22-2018),BillDoran (05-22-2018),TRF (05-22-2018),WildcatFan (05-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Just came across your thread. I'll chime in as a resident of the city for nearly 40 years.

I'll counter Doug's comment about Northside. No question, any urban neighborhood will have issues, safety and others. Actually, I think that's true in any large metropolitan area, to some degree or another. Northside is a great neighborhood, very walkable with lots of nearby businesses (great record store at Shake It Records - rated 2nd best in the country on Yelp!). But it's becoming very pricey. My son and his wife live there and got in at a high price and prices have gone up since. Not sure what your price range is.

The neighborhood that folks who are being priced out of Northside is my own, Spring Grove Village (formerly Winton Place), just north of Northside. We don't have a business district like Northside does, but we're any easy jaunt over there (I've been going to Northside since 1979 when I first opened my business and got a P.O. box at the post office that was there and where I still do my banking there). And I know it's quick, because it's an easy jaunt for us to go see our granddaughter!

We have a very active neighborhood community. We're a racially diverse neighborhood and a good economic mix of folks. Lots of folks your age are moving into the neighborhood following on the footsteps of many of us who moved here 40-45 years ago in our 20's. As for access to US 27, it's a quick drive up Winton Road to Cross County (Reagan) Highway and heading west over to Colerain Avenue (US 27) - keep in mind Colerain Avenue ends in Northside too (although a small portion of it picks back up elsewhere in Camp Washington). There is a Kroger store right in the neighborhood and we're conveniently located close to I-75, I-74 and when traffic is bogged down on the interstate, it's super simple to just take Spring Grove Avenue all the way downtown. Likewise, it's a quick trip up to Clifton, by the University of Cincinnati.

Another affordable possibility is the next neighborhood east of us, although not actually part of the city of Cincinnati - that's St. Bernard. It's its own municipality, but is essentially surrounded by Cincinnati. It's a bit of a throwback neighborhood. Families have lived there for generations. My brother and some friends live and have been there for 30+ years. They're still sort of newcomers. But again, it's an affordable neighborhood, just on the other side of I-75 from Spring Grove Village.

Message me if you have any questions.

Spring Grove Cemetery is in the neighborhood (it also borders Northside) where my wife and I often go for walks and where we see joggers regularly. It's a stunningly beautiful gem right in the heart of the city.
    I grew up in Winton Place. Or just on the edge of it, Winton Ridge Lane. I love St. Bernard too as we often shopped and ate there. To me it was the center of my world, As Winton Rd has pretty much all the shooping you need as you go up the hill.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Couldn't pay me to live in those areas, but to each his own.

I want wide open spaces, where my neighbor can't see me looking out his dining room window.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

I want wide open spaces, where my neighbor can't see me looking out his dining room window.
    Our house on Winton Ridge Lane, was second to last. neighbor on the right was about 20 feet away, on the left more like 200. quiet street that dead ends to stairs that lead to Winton Road.

I miss it alot.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I will say this about my neighborhood, I've had two neighbors just recently sell their homes. Both sold immediately, I mean on the first day of viewings.

Why were they moving? The first was a couple a little bit older than me who were making their downsizing move, from a three story house to a single level. The other is a couple who both are finishing rabbinical school and were hired to serve at a synagogue in Reno.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I will say this about my neighborhood, I've had two neighbors just recently sell their homes. Both sold immediately, I mean on the first day of viewings.

Why were they moving? The first was a couple a little bit older than me who were making their downsizing move, from a three story house to a single level. The other is a couple who both are finishing rabbinical school and were hired to serve at a synagogue in Reno.
    Synagogue in Reno eh?

There's a sitcom in there for sure

11. Likes:

'69 (08-11-2018),*BaseClogger* (05-24-2018),cincinnati chili (05-26-2018)

Thanks for sharing.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-24-2018),BillDoran (05-25-2018),dabvu2498 (05-26-2018),westofyou (05-26-2018)

If I worked in Oxford, no way I would commute from Cincinnati. Up and down 27 every day is no way to live your life.

Find an awesome house close to work, and drive into Cincinnati when you want to enjoy city life. Maybe stay the weekend there. And when that drive into town starts to get on your nerves, you can remind yourself how bad it would stink if you had to make that drive for work every day.

15. Likes:

Chip R (05-25-2018),cincinnati chili (05-26-2018),Kinsm (05-26-2018),nmculbreth (05-26-2018),paintmered (05-26-2018),WildcatFan (05-26-2018)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

We've never met. Maybe you love commuting. But I think about 99% of population would be worn down by all that driving.. I'd recommend that you live in Oxford and go hang out in Cincinnati every weekend or too. Heck. All that money you save on gas and car wear/tear, you could probably go stay at a luxury hotel every weekend. If you insist on living in the city, I love Clifton. Northside is less expensive though and borders Clifton to the North.
    Stick to your guns.

17. Likes:

Kinsm (05-26-2018),SunDeck (05-27-2018),WildcatFan (05-26-2018)

But then how will you know when to break in and steal their meth?

19. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-27-2018),dabvu2498 (05-26-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    But then how will you know when to break in and steal their meth?
    You don't. You make your own. Everyone knows that.

21. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-27-2018),Hoosier Red (06-05-2018),SunDeck (05-27-2018),TRF (05-29-2018),westofyou (05-27-2018)

Sun Deck, any updates?

I live in Northern Westwood, right at the edge of Cincinnati bordering Cheviot and Green Twp. very walkable, lots of joggers walking dogs, and an influx of 30-somethings starting families. As was already said there are sketchy areas south and east of Westwood Town Hall..stay to the north and west of the Werk Rd and Harrison intersection.

The commute to Oxford is around 45-50 minutes taking backroads to Colerain and a straight shot north. At one time, US-27 between Ross and Oxford was ranked the deadliest in the state..

Turn Off Ads?