Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What is your favorite RPG(s)? MMORPG, Turn Based, Tabletop, Action-RPG, etc

What is your favorite RPG(s)? MMORPG, Turn Based, Tabletop, Action-RPG, etc

I have recently been listening to a podcast called Retro RPG Podcast and they do a series called “Is it worth it?” Where they take a retro RPG, replay it, and talk about if they think it’s worth the going rate via e-bay or used game stores. If you aren’t aware, some of these retro games are going for quite a bit of money. For example, pretty much any Square RPG for the PS1 goes for $40-$50. The most rare it seems is a sealed-in box copy of Chrono Trigger, which I found on e-bay for $600 (not a typo).

Anyways, what’s your favorite RPG(s)?

My favorite game ever is Chrono Cross for the PS1.

Followed closely, in no particular order:

Secret of Mana (SNES)
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
    World of Warcraft (PC) - I stopped playing at level 70, so I know nothing about the current version.
    Zelda: The Ocarina of Time

I also really enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 and X, but they are a step below the above.

Also, I played some Advanced Dungeons and Dragons in high school. It’s a lot of fun.

I’ve never actually played Chrono Trigger or Earthbound, which I would like to change, but they are hard to find, and I don’t like buying games off of eBay.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 05-22-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is your favorite RPG(s)? MMORPG, Turn Based, Tabletop, Action-RPG, etc

I started to say that I enjoyed watching an RPG where a bunch of guys put on Reds uniforms and pretended to be major league ballplayers, but that's too close to the truth to be funny.

I've never really got into RPGs. I always felt as if I should, though.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I started to say that I enjoyed watching an RPG where a bunch of guys put on Reds uniforms and pretended to be major league ballplayers, but that's too close to the truth to be funny.

I've never really got into RPGs. I always felt as if I should, though.
    You should pick up the SNES mini which comes with 21 games including 4 of the best RPGs ever made and are easy for beginners to pick up:

Secret of Mana
    Legend of Zelda A Link To the Past
    Final Fantasy 3
    Earthbound

There's a PC version of Chrono Trigger now.

I think my favorites as a kid were Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy II and III. I also liked Secret of Mana, Ogre Battle, and Super Mario RPG (surprisingly good.)

I did spend a year playing Everquest, which was a terrible waste of time. The main things I took away from that:

- I can type like 80wpm now
    - I knew to stay away from WoW, Eve Online, etc.

Does Stardew Valley count? I've enjoyed messing around with that with my kids.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    There's a PC version of Chrono Trigger now.

I think my favorites as a kid were Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy II and III. I also liked Secret of Mana, Ogre Battle, and Super Mario RPG (surprisingly good.)

I did spend a year playing Everquest, which was a terrible waste of time. The main things I took away from that:

- I can type like 80wpm now
    - I knew to stay away from WoW, Eve Online, etc.

Does Stardew Valley count? I've enjoyed messing around with that with my kids.
    I don’t know what Stardew Valley is, but probably.

Ha, I actually clocked myself at 95 WPM, which I attribute to Starcraft, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, and WoW.

I pretended to be naughty school boy.

Is RPG the reason why you guys are the way you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I pretended to be naughty school boy.

Is RPG the reason why you guys are the way you are?
    ?

When I was a teenager I only played FF7 and loved it. Come to find out later that makes me somewhat of a geek to the geeks. Apparently the world is full of people who have only ever played FF7 and think it’s the best RPG ever so real RPG fans get sick of us showering praise on it. Over and over, they kept telling me that FF6 was the best in the series anyway and FF7 was just overrated. So recently I bought FF6 on my IPad and played it through, and I gotta say, it’s not even in the same ballpark as FF7. My conclusion? I can say with confidence that FF7 is the best RPG, even though I’ve only played (now) two RPGs in my life, and anybody who tells you different has an axe to grind.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-23-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So, I'm going to complain. A lot. Right now.

The Final Fantasy series of games drive me crazy. They have since I was about 10. HOW CAN YOU HAVE MULTIPLE FINAL FANTASY GAMES?! IT'S THE FINAL FANTASY.

I feel a little better now. But that has always driven me absolutely bonkers.

I never played much of that stuff. But, I really enjoyed Shining Force and Shining Force 2 for Sega Genesis in the mid-90's (that's why I played them - I think they came out a few years before that, though). That's about it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So, I'm going to complain. A lot. Right now.

The Final Fantasy series of games drive me crazy. They have since I was about 10. HOW CAN YOU HAVE MULTIPLE FINAL FANTASY GAMES?! IT'S THE FINAL FANTASY.

I feel a little better now. But that has always driven me absolutely bonkers.

I never played much of that stuff. But, I really enjoyed Shining Force and Shining Force 2 for Sega Genesis in the mid-90's (that's why I played them - I think they came out a few years before that, though). That's about it, though.
    With regard to Final Fantasy, I think it’s becauase every game is a stand-alone. They all take place in different worlds/universes. So, it’s the “final fantasy” for that particular world.

Also, I think it just sounds cool.

14. Likes:

dougdirt (05-23-2018)

Only one I've ever played is WoW off and on over the years. Been with the same guild since Vanilla wow and we all come and go, but show up for xpac launches and fun raids to clear. Been together long enough that we do annual get togethers and we're all friends irl. The game itself has kinda gotten stale tho, hopefully the next expansion is better.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-24-2018)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I was massively into the old-school Square JRPGS on the SNES/PS1/PS2 era.

ChronoTrigger, which has been mentioned before, is an all-timer and probably one of the 3-4 greatest video games ever made. Literally no wasted motion, beautifully done old-school sprite graphics, and one of the best video-game "soundtracks" of all time. Final Fantasy VI was a close second on the SNES as well; super-memorable cast and some really cool story moments that stay with you after the game is over. It was the first video game I remember playing growing up where it felt like the developers were trying to be cinematic.

On the PS1, I've awlays contended Final Fantasy 7 was overrated. I won't deny it's cultural impact of bringing RPGS into the mainstream, but the story and gameplay is thoroughly average. I'll go down on the hot take that Xenogears was the best RPG from that generation -- even if you can clearly tell they ran out of money with the story only about 60% complete.

Also, because it was name-checked in the OP, I'll drop the similar hot-take that Chrono Cross is massively overrated. It's probably one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. It was billed originally as an actual sequel to ChronoTrigger, but not only did it only reference ChronoTrigger tangentially, it also abandoned the things that made CT great (memorable cast, tight pacing/plot, creative story). Instead you ended up with a game that had a horrendously bloated cast of characters where absolutely no one stood out, a dull plot, and a throughly average combat system.

More recently, I think the Mass Effect trilogy is amazing -- amazing as a collective whole and individually amazing for different reasons. The world-building is incredible, the gameplay (especially 2&3) is rock-solid and fun, and the characters all feel alive in their own ways. I legitimately didn't want the series to end.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Also, because it was name-checked in the OP, I'll drop the similar hot-take that Chrono Cross is massively overrated. It's probably one of the most disappointing games I've ever played.
    Hold your tongue!

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if I would feel the same way if I played Chrono Trigger before Chrono Cross.

I think part of what makes RPG’s good is when you play them. I played through Chrono Cross at a perfect time for me and I didn’t expect anything from it when I picked it up. Not going to try and defend it, I just really enjoyed playing it, and still do. I downloaded it to my PS3.

Turn Off Ads?