Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 Draft Day 1 Thread

Official 2018 Draft Day 1 Thread

Hoping for Brady Singer in the 1st.

Would be thrilled with Kumar Rocker or Cole Wilcox in the 2nd.

Let’s Gooooooo!
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official 2018 Draft Day 1 Thread

At this point I am hoping for either Singer/Madrigal. That would take a wild card pick by one of the top-4, likely by Chicago or Philly.

Still not sure how I feel about India or Liberatore. Grayson Rodriguez/Kyler Murray is a nightmare scenario.

4. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-05-2018)

I'm good with Singer, India, or Madrigal

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (06-05-2018)

Still on the Kelenic train, even though I know it won’t happen.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I’m happy if it’s Singer, but I’m partial to Madrigal.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-05-2018)

I like Singer then Madrigal. I'm ok with India. But.. Where do Madrigal and India play if they can't play SS? I know its best available but with college hitters only about 2 years out it is something to think about.

11. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-05-2018)

India could always be an OF. So got no problem there. Madrigal is probably limited to SS/2b. Me personally, I have no problem there. Obviously SS would probably be better. But at 2b we have Scooter who will probably be gone in 2 years, Senzel, who could be an OF, and Hererra and Shed Long in the minors.

Both Long and Herrera are doing well, but not so well that you pencil them in. Herrera is at a .742 OPS in AAA and Long is at AA with .802 OPS.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

If either Madrigal or India can shift to SS or CF, then I'm happy with either of them. I liken Bohm to Pat Burrell and teams could do a lot worse than selecting another Burrell. Not totally sold that Singer sees sustained success in the majors, as it sounds like some of his delivery needs to be reworked. Given the Reds difficulty in developing starting pitching, I don't think that's a good pick. Not a fan of taking Bart because the Reds seem pretty stacked at the catcher position for now (Stephenson, Clementina, Okey, Tromp, Kolosvary, Ruiz, and probably one or two more I'm missing.)

But first and foremost I would like to see the Reds go for ceiling here, which means going high schooler. Kelenic is my main choice, but if the Reds feel confident that they've gotten better about developing HS pitchers, I wouldn't be upset with Stewart or Liberatore.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Singer is my first choice by a fair margin.

Bart unlikely but would potentially bring great catching depth and trade value.

I view Madrigal as a risk because lacks power and Reds already deep at second base. But still a high end prospect, would take him if things fall that way.

Like India but raises all kinds of positional questions. Seems like all around hitter which you always can use.

High school pitchers would be unexpected here but might be best move if the picks don’t fall as hoped.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-04-2018 at 10:43 AM.

15. Likes:

Mitri (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If either Madrigal or India can shift to SS or CF, then I'm happy with either of them. I liken Bohm to Pat Burrell and teams could do a lot worse than selecting another Burrell. Not totally sold that Singer sees sustained success in the majors, as it sounds like some of his delivery needs to be reworked. Given the Reds difficulty in developing starting pitching, I don't think that's a good pick. Not a fan of taking Bart because the Reds seem pretty stacked at the catcher position for now (Stephenson, Clementina, Okey, Tromp, Kolosvary, Ruiz, and probably one or two more I'm missing.)

But first and foremost I would like to see the Reds go for ceiling here, which means going high schooler. Kelenic is my main choice, but if the Reds feel confident that they've gotten better about developing HS pitchers, I wouldn't be upset with Stewart or Liberatore.
    I'm usually for ceiling picks, but I think I'd prefer a floor pick this year. And that's why I hope it is Singer. I think he has a great floor.

17. Likes:

Benihana (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Singer is my first choice by a fair margin.

Bart unlikely but would potentially bring great catching depth and trade value.

I view Madrigal as a risk because lacks power and Reds already deep at second base. But still a high end prospect, would take him if things fall that way.

Like India but raises all kinds of positional questions. But seems like all around hitter which you always can use.

High school pitchers would be unexpected here but might be best move if the picks don’t fall as hoped.
    Aside from Bart I would agree with all points here. He'd be about 5/6 on my board, I think his bat may struggle with advanced pitchers.

Madrigal is a risk but damn he'll be fun to follow. India reminds me of Senzel with a little more power and less athleticism. Sort or a late-riser, hits like crazy in a power conference. Could be a guy you shift to RF and hope he rakes.

Reds will have to make a splashy trade if they pick Madrigal or India, but it's time for a splashy trade anyhow.

Draft Buzz: 2-sport star Murray could be lured

Kyler Murray was the best athlete in the 2015 Draft, and he would have landed first-round money had he not opted out due to his desire play two sports at Texas A&M because he was the nation's top-rated dual-threat quarterback prospect. Draft-eligible again but poised to succeed Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma, Murray remains a tantalizing talent -- but one whom teams thought it would be nearly impossible to get him to commit to baseball.

Think again.

On the night before the Draft, word began to circulate within the industry that for the right price, Murray would agree to focus on baseball after playing football this fall for the Sooners. If true, he could command a bonus of $3 million or more.

Other teams believe that the Reds (whose first two picks are at Nos. 5 and 48) and the Padres (whose top two selections are at Nos. 7 and 38) are the leading contenders to cut a discount deal in the first round so they can splurge on Murray with their second choice. Officials with both Cincinnati and San Diego denied that's the case.

Seems like Murray's people trying to drum something up, but I suppose we'll see.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Wants:

Mize
    Madrigal
    Bart

Plenty Fine With:
    Bohm
    Kelenic
    India
    Underslot at 5 to grab another high end talent later for extra $$$.

Don't Want:
    Singer
    High School Pitching

To me Singer seems like a high floor, mid-rotation ceiling, with the risk of being a pitcher. I'd prefer to shoot for a higher ceiling bat that comes without the pitching risk. Use that bat to acquire pitching later if need be.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 06-04-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

21. Likes:

TommyJ (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm usually for ceiling picks, but I think I'd prefer a floor pick this year. And that's why I hope it is Singer. I think he has a great floor.
    Agreed. This is the very rare occurrence where I would advocate floor over ceiling, because I think everyone has significant warts and it’s hard for me to see any of the top picks from this draft becoming a superstar. I think this is the first time I’ve wanted the Reds to draft a college pitcher in the first round since Andrew Miller in 2006, which also happens to have been Buckley’s first draft. Maybe Drew Pomeranz in 2010. Singer seems to me like he could become a better version of Mike Leake, which would fit in well with the 2021-2025 Reds at this point. Greene-Castillo-Singer-Mahle-Santillan seems like a great rotation for the early 2020s.

It’s also the reason why I’d be all ceiling after the first round.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

23. Likes:

fearofpopvol1 (06-04-2018)

I dunno. After Mize, the entire draft seems to be pretty much a crapshoot. I really cannot find one other player in the whole draft that doesn’t have a lot of question marks. Perhaps they could draft two or three high school players and convince them to forego college?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

25. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-04-2018)

Turn Off Ads?