Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 Draft Day 1 Thread

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Official 2018 Draft Day 1 Thread

I've seen a few tweets like this today and it's really neat to see players doing this:

Jameson Taillon
    @JTaillon19

Best of luck to all kids with draft aspirations! Along the way there will be really high highs, really low lows, but that little kid dream inside will keep you going. You’ll meet some amazing teammates, best friends, and coaches along the way. The real work starts now!
    8:03pm · 4 Jun 2018
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

cincyinco (06-04-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    India has a slash line of .364/.504/.733. Incredible season in a league as tough as the SEC.

I would prefer Madrigal and Singer, but that is not a slight on India.
    The 1:1 rate on strikeouts to walk and stuff about "no standout tools" gives me pause. I'd love to convince myself he's Senzel 2.0 but Senzel seemed to have a much better eye and you could dream on his doubles power. I don't know how much more projection is left with India. Two months ago Kiley McDaniel said he saw him as sandwich round pick.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    While I don't really want India, what's the difference between draft day India and draft day Senzel?

Sustained production, k-bb%, slugging till this year(especially in Cape Cod)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Except at this point (less than 3 hours before the draft begins) the ones from the top sources -like Callis and BA- are often well informed. My sense as I said above is that India is the favorite at this point. Hopefully someone unexpected (Mize or Singer) drops.
    I don't know. I've been watching mocks for a few years now and the final draft is almost never like any of the mocks I see.

That said, I'm not against drafting India. Overall this looks to be a high floor-low ceiling draft for the most part, so if the Reds come out of it with a more powerful Kevin Seitzer, I'm fine with that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I just drank an INDIA Pale Ale. It is calming my nerves a bit.

8. Likes:

M2 (06-04-2018)

I wouldn't hate the India pick, I'd just be nonplussed by it. I know you can't expect the world at #5 like we got with Senzel and Greene at #2, but it seemed they had a real chance to potentially land the best pure hitter of the draft in Madrigal only to (seemingly) fall just short.

Part of me might prefer the "high school pitcher first and then Kyler Murray second" plan, because I think Murray may have a higher ceiling than India. He had a better season as a 20-year-old than India did, anyway.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

cincyinco (06-04-2018),Mitri (06-04-2018)

Ok, I change my mind:

India Plate Appearance = IPA
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The 1:1 rate on strikeouts to walk and stuff about "no standout tools" gives me pause. I'd love to convince myself he's Senzel 2.0 but Senzel seemed to have a much better eye and you could dream on his doubles power. I don't know how much more projection is left with India. Two months ago Kiley McDaniel said he saw him as sandwich round pick.
    I don't consider India a slam dunk either. I was 100% sold on Senzel from March of his junior year.

Having said that, India's improvement from his Sophomore year has been remarkable and I have no reason to doubt there could be more there.

I'm with you, Tom. These guys are going to take a few years no matter how "advanced" they might be. If the board goes Mize/Bart/Mad/Singer, may as well take your pick of the prep pitchers, or hell, even Kelenic, and save the rest for the 2nd, where a ton of big talent seems jumbled and could be enticed by an extra Million.

I had this in the other thread but will put it here for posterity sake but my gut says I would rather have Kumar Rocker as a stretch signable pick at 5 and then a high cost pick at the 2nd round than any of the guys being discussed at 5.

These college bats are not far off from the majors but are blocked at their positions and I am not hearing that they could merit/ have the physical abilities to move position. If college, be it an arm, SS, or OFs. IF HS be it a high floor, high ceiling guy of any position.
    Last edited by klw; 06-04-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Can I get a recap on what Seth Beer’s issue is? A couple vintages ago this was the “Seth Beer” draft.

Too many libation terms flying around here I can’t help it.

I'm thinking offer a dude like Kowar or Gilbert a below slot offer and go big in the second.

17. Likes:

cincyinco (06-04-2018),klw (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Can I get a recap on what Seth Beer’s issue is? A couple vintages ago this was the “Seth Beer” draft.

Too many libation terms flying around here I can’t help it.
    Beer's biggest issue is that he may be bottled in as a 1st base guy but otherwise is tapped to be a DH. Defense is lacking upside, hops, and craft. Plus his bat has skunked a bit. His draft status is not yeasty.

ex. Mayo
    http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/?list=draft

Beer graduated a semester early from high school and bypassed the Draft to enroll at Clemson, where he was the consensus freshman of the year and won the Dick Howser Award as the college player of the year in 2016. He almost immediately thrust himself into the discussion for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 Draft, but as that event approaches he's the most polarizing prospect in the class. Some teams believe in his lofty offensive ceiling and see him as a sure first-rounder, while other clubs question his ability to hit with wood and play a position.

His proponents point to Beer's production with the Tigers: .333/.506/.651 with 34 homers and more than twice as many walks (126) as strikeouts (62) in his first two years, with similar numbers in his third. Few college players can match his combination of strength and patience at the plate. For those sold that his left-handed power will play at the next level, it can be a carrying tool.

Beer's detractors don't like his less-than-smooth stroke and his wood-bat history, which includes some struggles on the high school showcase circuit and a .208/.344/.287 line in two years with Team USA. All of his value lies in his bat because he's a bottom-of-the-scale runner whose position options are first base and DH. He played mostly outfield in his first two college seasons but his lack of range and fringy arm made him a liability there.
    Last edited by klw; 06-04-2018 at 04:56 PM.

19. Likes:

kaldaniels (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I'm thinking offer a dude like Kowar or Gilbert a below slot offer and go big in the second.
    If we don't go college player then I can get behind this idea. I don't really understand who is willing to sign under slot but if Libatore was one of them I would jump all over that and go big in the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainz20 View Post
    If we don't go college player then I can get behind this idea. I don't really understand who is willing to sign under slot but if Libatore was one of them I would jump all over that and go big in the second.
    The college guys give you the leverage though. They go higher than projected, so they still make more money even underslot. They're less likely to come back for a senior year with a #5 draft pick.

You save more.

I don't understand why a HS would cut a deal.

Turn Off Ads?