Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonathan India, 3B, Reds pick at #5

Re: Jonathan India, 3B, Reds pick at #5

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just asking, was India the right pick here? If so it’s an A, right?

I’m looking things over in retrospect and I’m not sure there was a better choice on the board.
    That's true, I'm not sure what grade I would have given someone besides the four guys who went ahead of India. I probably would have been fine with Singer, but his drop sure makes me think the Reds and a lot of teams knew more than we did.

I guess I'm just trying to straddle the fence really, because I never really had strong feelings for India outside of having some skepticism about his 2018 emergence. I don't think he's Senzel, but I'm also not so down on him that I think he's a Colin Moran. Benihana said Todd Frazier and I can see that. A version who, with his SEC pedigree, can get to the big leagues sooner than Todd did.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

another way of evaluating the Reds preference is would they have selected him if they were selecting #3 or #4? was he on top of their board or their 5th choice?

Should have taken Barry Bonds. Stupid Reds.

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    another way of evaluating the Reds preference is would they have selected him if they were selecting #3 or #4? was he on top of their board or their 5th choice?
    On that note, I’ve been trying to craft a clever “they should have tanked harder.” remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I hate to be picky but with the number 5 pick you should be getting better than kevin seitzer comps...ugh.

Mike Lowell on MLB Network compared him to Josh Donaldson.

8. Likes:

podgejeff_ (06-04-2018),RED VAN HOT (06-07-2018),redsmetz (06-05-2018),Rojo Rijo (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's true, I'm not sure what grade I would have given someone besides the four guys who went ahead of India. I probably would have been fine with Singer, but his drop sure makes me think the Reds and a lot of teams knew more than we did.

I guess I'm just trying to straddle the fence really, because I never really had strong feelings for India outside of having some skepticism about his 2018 emergence. I don't think he's Senzel, but I'm also not so down on him that I think he's a Colin Moran. Benihana said Todd Frazier and I can see that. A version who, with his SEC pedigree, can get to the big leagues sooner than Todd did.
    I mean I feel you, I feel a bit underwhelmed that that's who they got. But again I keep saying to myself "Well Mr. Smartyparts who should they have picked instead?" I don't see a better answer.

10. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-05-2018),Tom Servo (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    If they were drafting 3 or 4 they would have taken Madrigal but that's moot. How does that change the fact that the 4 best players were selected before the Reds got a chance? If he was their 5th choice and their top 4 were picked ahead of him then he was the best pick available. Personally I like him better than Boehm or Gorman - I think he's a better all round player. Kelenic, I agree, has better upside but alot more risk - much bigger chance of being a bust. And with the risk associated with pitchers? None of the pitchers jump out. No one like Hunter Greene in this year's draft. Like Servo said the teams must know something about Singer for him to drop to the Royals.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    On that note, I’ve been trying to craft a clever “they should have tanked harder.” remark.
    All I know is that I'm sure that picking Casey Mize tonight would have made me happier than all ten of our September wins last season.

I reserve the right to rethink this position when the bourbon wears off.

13. Likes:

redsmetz (06-05-2018)

15. Likes:

BillDoran (06-04-2018)

This draft does not have a load of upside at the top of the draft. Given that, I can't hate this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Mike Lowell on MLB Network compared him to Josh Donaldson.
    He is 32 and starting to run into injury concerns? That doesn't sound like a wise way to use a pick.

18. Likes:

M2 (06-04-2018)

Question: If India uses Zeppelin's Kashmir as his walk up song in the Majors will it cause an international incident?

20. Likes:

757690 (06-04-2018),cincinnati chili (06-05-2018),OGB (06-04-2018),Old school 1983 (06-04-2018),paintmered (06-05-2018),redsmetz (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    He is 32 and starting to run into injury concerns? That doesn't sound like a wise way to use a pick.
    Holy hell you aren’t happy with a Donaldson comp?

/hoping for sarcasm

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-05-2018),Griffey012 (06-05-2018),WrongVerb (06-04-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

How about this comp: Anthony Rendon? Does that make everyone feel better?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    How about this comp: Anthony Rendon? Does that make everyone feel better?
    This is Redszone. Whoever they picked wouldn't made everyone happy, if a pick makes half of RZ happy then it was a pretty slamdunk pick....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-05-2018),redsmetz (06-05-2018),Rojo Rijo (06-05-2018),Ron Madden (06-05-2018),WrongVerb (06-04-2018)

Turn Off Ads?