Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonathan India, 3B, Reds pick at #5

Re: Jonathan India, 3B, Reds pick at #5

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’m assuming he was their BPA, just kinda feels like he might be worth more to another team than to the Reds given that the infield is pretty stacked through the whole organization except SS (which this dude won’t play)

I guess he could be a corner OF, but the Reds also can’t develop pitching and this guy is blocked already. Feels like Yonder Alonso to me.
    That’s assuming Senzel doesn’t keep getting vertigo. There’s a non-zero chance India leapfrogs Senzel at 2B and prospect status. That interview where Senzel talked about his condition scared me. The reds and Senzel seem worried.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s assuming Senzel doesn’t keep getting vertigo. There’s a non-zero chance India leapfrogs Senzel at 2B and prospect status. That interview where Senzel talked about his condition scared me. The reds and Senzel seem worried.
    yeah i'm super concerned he's going to be the second baseball player in history to have his career derailed by vertigo

seems likely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    fair point, I did kinda forget that was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    yeah i'm super concerned he's going to be the second baseball player in history to have his career derailed by vertigo

seems likely!
    I felt the same way before the 2nd bout with vertigo in 9 months and that interview after he came back. I think most likely he will be fine, but I don’t think it’s 100%.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I mean Todd Frazier is a career 245/322/457 guy at this point, I’m not exactly seeing what’s to love about that if that’s who he becomes, especially as an OF which is pretty much the only spot he’s gonna have on this team.
    If every Reds first round pick ends up having a career 111 OPS+ while playing well above average defense, they'll be doing just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

7. Likes:

membengal (06-06-2018)

I was hoping for India a couple weeks ago. Power college bat. Numbers vs Senzel

Jonathan India’s junior year in the SEC: 1.237 OPS
    Nick Senzel’s junior year in the SEC: 1.051 OPS
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-05-2018),RedTeamGo! (06-05-2018),Rojo Rijo (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer's Ghost View Post
    If every Reds first round pick ends up having a career 111 OPS+ while playing well above average defense, they'll be doing just fine.
    I guess in the sense that most draftees don’t ever make the majors and in this hypothetical said player would have, but I dunno I feel like the top 5 picks are the spots are where you have to draft a real difference maker. At some point you gotta get the star at the top of the draft, and they probably have one in Senzel to be fair, in my eyes if this guy only ends up being Todd Frazier then it’ll be a disappointing pick.

Sort of anyway, this isn’t a great draft either way and he probably was the best pick left at 5 for the Reds.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I guess in the sense that most draftees don’t ever make the majors and in this hypothetical said player would have, but I dunno I feel like the top 5 picks are the spots are where you have to draft a real difference maker. At some point you gotta get the star at the top of the draft, and they probably have one in Senzel to be fair, in my eyes if this guy only ends up being Todd Frazier then it’ll be a disappointing pick.

Sort of anyway, this isn’t a great draft either way and he probably was the best pick left at 5 for the Reds.
    You can't draft what wasn't there. And overall this draft is pretty tepid. Few of any difference makers to be found.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    You can't draft what wasn't there. And overall this draft is pretty tepid. Few of any difference makers to be found.
    yeah I’m not faulting them for picking him, seems like the right move, but this draft is kind of a bummer.

I like the strategy of taking the best player available, regardless of position, level of play, or depth at the.MLB level. Too many variables over too much time to draft based upon the current roster. Most pundits put India in the top 5. This pick might be a Larson five years from now, but today, the Reds drafted the best player available at 5. Way to not be cheap, Reds, and draft a lesser and more "signable" player. I hope he turns into an organizational cornerstone.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2018),Revering4Blue (06-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    My answers:

1. Singer - clearly something chased off a lot of teams though so I'm probably going to end up wrong here
    2. Kelenic - kid has the tools to be a star, especially if he sticks in CF

I'm ultimately fine with the India pick, though.
    I feel similarly. Part of my lack of enthusiasm was I really liked Madrigal much more than India. But with Madrigal gone, I was really hoping for Singer or even Kelenic if we went position player. Given Singer's still unexplained slide, put me down for Kelenic with regard to the kaldaniels challenge.

I really feel like people are underestimating this kid. Not sure why. I think his power is legit. Good plate discipline as well. Cant complain.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-05-2018),REDREAD (06-06-2018),Rojo Rijo (06-05-2018),Z-Fly (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I was hoping for India a couple weeks ago. Power college bat. Numbers vs Senzel

Jonathan India’s junior year in the SEC: 1.237 OPS
    Nick Senzel’s junior year in the SEC: 1.051 OPS
    My concern about India (and the reason why I liked others better) is his 2018 season reflects a hot streak rather than compelling talent. I'm going to need to see more before I get enthusiastic about him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

cincyinco (06-07-2018),REDREAD (06-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My concern about India (and the reason why I liked others better) is his 2018 season reflects a hot streak rather than compelling talent. I'm going to need to see more before I get enthusiastic about him.
    Valid point and that’s my biggest concern too. Think of how many minor leaguers have a huge year then fizzle out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    So let me be the first to ask - where does India rank in the Reds prospect list.

My take - 3rd behind Senzel and Greene.
    He'll be a borderline top 100 prospect.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2018)

Turn Off Ads?