Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyon "I'm not Lyon, you're Lyon" Richardson- Reds 2018 2nd pick

Lyon "I'm not Lyon, you're Lyon" Richardson- Reds 2018 2nd pick

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports/...aft/662335002/

MLB Pipeline ranks Lyon Richardson as the 67th best prospect in the draft and anticipates he could get picked in the second or third round. Bennett Richardson said several teams have expressed interest in his son, but declined to get into specifics.
    While the draft is a complete unknown, what’s easier to pinpoint is why scouts like him so much. Jensen Beach typically had 15 to 20 scouts at each of Lyon Richardson’s starts this season.

At a preseason classic in Merritt Island, which included Lyon Richardson and Merritt Island right-hander Mason Denaburg, a likely first-round pick, more than 100 scouts were in attendance.

Lyon Richardson, who signed with the University of Florida, is a 6-foot-2, 185-pounder with an athletic build and a plus-fastball that sits in the mid-90s. He’s touched 98 on the radar gun. He also has an impressive breaking ball and changeup.

“His first pitch against us was 97,” South Fork coach Tony Malizia said. “It’s just like, ‘My gosh!’ It’s hard to do a lot with 97. He was tough. It’s hard to simulate that. You can set the pitching machine up and move the plate up in the batting cages, but it’s different when you go out there and see it. He’s one of those special kids.”

Lyon Richardson was TCPalm’s All-Area Player of the Year this past season when he posted a 7-0 record with a 0.58 ERA and 90 strikeouts in 48 innings. He allowed only 16 hits this past season.
    Lets make him roar!
    Last edited by klw; 06-05-2018 at 08:36 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lyon Richardson- Reds 2018 2nd pick

Last edited by Redeyecat; 06-05-2018 at 07:48 AM.

4. Likes:

SoTxRedsFan (06-05-2018)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Lyon "I'm not Lyon, you're Lyon" Richardson- Reds 2018 2nd pick

Bobby Nightengale

@nightengalejr
    Follow Follow @nightengalejr
    More
    #Reds second-round pick Lyon Richardson said he’s agreed to terms with the team. Could report as soon as Friday.

6. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-05-2018),lollipopcurve (06-05-2018),Newport Red (06-05-2018),WrongVerb (06-05-2018)

I prefer to say his first name like the French city.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

nmculbreth (06-05-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Maybe we can call him The Professional.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-05-2018),M2 (06-06-2018),Old school 1983 (06-05-2018)

I was once mugged in Lyon and lost my confidence. I'm a triggered and want this thread closed.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

A Nice thing to do....

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I was once mugged in Lyon and lost my confidence. I'm a triggered and want this thread closed.
    Let me guess, they beat you with baguettes and the humiliation was delicious.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

mace (06-06-2018)

From the Kiley McDaniel chat over at Fangraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kile...at-6-6-18/1:32

"Mountie Votto: Can you tell me a little more about Josiah Gray and Lyon Richardson, the two low-mileage arms the Reds nabbed? From what I understand, both are pretty new to pitching and there could be some upside there

1:33
    Kiley McDaniel: Josiah was a D2 conversion guy that’s loose and has arm speed but is pretty rough and looks like a reliever to us. Lyon was a two way guy, good ath, but kinda maxed out, some don’t love the arm action, but up to 96, 55 SL, starter look. assuming Josiah was below slot to make room for Siani."

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Another guy who has rebounded after a pretty rough start to his season. After struggling his first 10 starts he's come around in the month of June.

4 starts, 20 innings, 17ks, 7 walks, and a 1.74 ERA.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (06-21-2019),Edd Roush (06-21-2019),klw (06-21-2019),Tom Servo (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    Another guy who has rebounded after a pretty rough start to his season. After struggling his first 10 starts he's come around in the month of June.

4 starts, 20 innings, 17ks, 7 walks, and a 1.74 ERA.
    K/9 up to 8.0 on the season. Lyon making his opponents feel his roar of late.

I do wonder where the extra velocity he had in high school has gone to though (he's more low 90s at the moment), hopefully it reemerges over time.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    K/9 up to 8.0 on the season. Lyon making his opponents feel his roar of late.

I do wonder where the extra velocity he had in high school has gone to though (he's more low 90s at the moment), hopefully it reemerges over time.
    I'll throw this out for discussion. Is it possible that the Reds are holding back on the high 90's FB in favor of movement and development of other pitches that lead to being a successful starter? After all, he is still very young and the Greene experience might be on their minds.

2018 2nd Round pick, Lyon Richardson

Maybe I missed it, but I could not find a single thread dedicated to this 19-year old going back all the way since before the 2018 draft.

Dozens of worse prospects have their own threads, and as desperate as the REDS are to find Starting Pitchers among their Minor League teams, this young man needs to be spoken about more often than he has been around here.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

22. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (08-26-2019)

Looked again after I posted and found this buried before Summer began.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Re: 2018 2nd Round pick, Lyon Richardson

Guess this thread can be deleted mods since I found the other one.

Turn Off Ads?