Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josiah "Bartlett" Gray - Reds 2018 Competitive Balance pick

Josiah "Bartlett" Gray - Reds 2018 Competitive Balance pick

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...siah-gray-2018

Le Moyne led all of DII baseball last season with a dazzling 2.61 ERA. This year, Gray is stealing the spotlight with a 1.33 ERA, which actually jumped 0.50 points after his “worst” start of the year last Friday when he allowed a mere three runs. Pretty impressive considering he was the Dolphins’ best shortstop a year ago.

“I was recruiting him as a shortstop,” head coach Scott Cassidy told NCAA.com. “I went to watch him, he played short and only played four innings. The coach took him out and he started the next game of a doubleheader on the mound. He threw a couple innings. He wasn’t throwing overly hard at that time. He was pretty thin and wiry, but he had a really loose arm and was athletic. He looked like he could gain some weight and add some [velocity]. We ended up recruiting him as a two-way guy, and we thought he would be a shortstop first.”

Gray, or Jo Jo as his teammates endearingly call him, had a breakout summer in Cape Cod, touching 97 on the radar gun. Now on scouts’ radars and climbing the 2018 MLB Draft prospect board, Cassidy knew his days as a shortstop were fading away.

“His [velocity] really jumped from his freshman and sophomore year,” Cassidy said. “So, we had to put him on the mound. But he was our best shortstop at the time, too, so we had to start him at short. That’s why he was closing last year.

“Then he blows up in the Cape. His bread-and-butter is on the mound. He’s got a ton of power but strikes out a little too much, and he’s not a pro shortstop. We had a conversation in the fall and I told him his shortstop days are over.”

Gray has seemingly made the adjustment with relative ease. The righty — listed at 6-1 — is now 6-0 with that 1.33 ERA, a 0.99 WHIP, and 54 strikeouts in 47.1 innings. He picked up his first complete game shutout two outings ago on just 88 pitches.

So, what can you expect to see when Gray is on the bump?

On his pitch arsenal:
    “Everyone knows about his velocity,” Cassidy said. “What people don’t realize is that he has such great command. He throws a ton of strikes. He doesn’t walk hitters, he attacks the strike zone. When he came here he didn’t really have too great of offspeed pitches, but he’s really worked hard. Now he’s got a really good slider. His changeup, which is his worst pitch, is really improved from last year. It is a serviceable pitch. Is it going to be a lights-out, strikeout pitch for him? It’s not right now, but very well could be.”

“Last spring, I threw a knuckle curve,” Gray told NCAA.com. “I couldn’t really find a grip for a slider. I honestly didn’t throw it that much because not too many people were in on the fastball. Going into the summer with Chatham I knew I needed an off-speed pitch because I knew these guys would be able to hit the fastball. I started to develop a slider. From there on out, I tinkered with the grip a little bit to get more movement each way and I think it’s paid off for me.

”It’s a feel kind of thing. From where I went from the knuckle curve to where I am with the slider was such a small fix, but it’s made a big impact. Same with the changeup. I didn’t throw many last year or over the summer, but coach told me having that changeup to throw to lefties and down and in to a righty will make me that much more effective. It’s a development that hasn’t been succeeded yet, but it’s something I’ve definitely progressed with.”

On his mindset:
    “When I was closing, it was like go in, get your three outs and close it out to win the game,” Gray said. “This year it’s like we’ll establish this the first time around. It’s like I’m pitching one set to nine batters and then a second set to nine batters and so on. You have to establish yourself throughout the game but maintain your velocity and command because guys will pick up on things the third and fourth times around. I’m going from 12 pitches to 100-plus, everything can’t be a fastball.

“I always pride myself on not walking batters. No matter how many hits I give up, I dislike walking batters. My first thing is always attacking the batter and getting that first strike. There is a greater percentage of getting an out if you get that strike one. That’s for every batter you face, whether it’s the No. 5 batter or the No. 27 batter. You always have to establish that strike one. It’s always been attacking batters and making them prove they can hit.”

On his summer on the Cape:
    “It was unbelievable,” Gray said. “Our team actually had four or five Division II guys. That made me more comfortable from the get-go. But getting out there and playing against guys that went to Louisville and UNC was an eye-opening experience. They have seen it all. It was beyond a great experience.

“I had two bad outings, but after that, I didn’t give up a run. In our playoff game against Orleans, we were down 2-1, and I had [Duke’s] Jimmy Herron leading off an inning. I struck him out on a high fastball, it was in a big spot. That was the one that was most memorable.”

On playing shortstop:
    “Oh yeah, of course I miss it,” Gray said. “During the spring I was still hitting in the cages. As the season progressed, I thought our offense is great enough, there is nothing I can help with. Before games, I still take balls at short. I value that more than missing the BP.”

2. Likes:

Ben Zinger (06-05-2018),BillDoran (06-05-2018),REDREAD (06-06-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    He still bangs

Re: Josiah "Bartlett" Gray - Reds 2018 Competitive Balance pick

Bartlett for America

5. Likes:

757690 (06-05-2018),Ben Zinger (06-05-2018),Edd Roush (06-05-2018),klw (06-05-2018),nmculbreth (06-05-2018),WrongVerb (06-05-2018)

Tanner Rainey part deux
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Tanner Rainey part deux
    Not really. This kid can locate the ball according to reports. Doesnt have quite the stuff of Rainey but is still developing.

LeMoyne College!! Go Dolphins
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Gray, a lightly recruited player out of high school, became one of the top Division II pitchers in the country. The 6-foot right-hander has recorded an 11-0 record with a 1.25 ERA across 14 starts, striking out 105 in 93 1/3 innings.

His college coach, Scott Cassidy, pitched in 111 games in the Majors from 2002-06. Buckley actually drafted Cassidy when he was with the Toronto Blue Jays.
    Yay, Buckley is friends with his coach. Cool.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yay, Buckley is friends with his coach. Cool.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

BillDoran (06-05-2018),Number_Fourteen (06-06-2018),reds44 (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Worked out well last time.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I do not like this pick at all. Way too early.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I do not like this pick at all. Way too early.
    I'm hoping it's a below slot sign that helps open up money for a bigger fish as the draft goes forward.

That would justify the timing of the pick.

15. Likes:

redsmetz (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm hoping it's a below slot sign that helps open up money for a bigger fish as the draft goes forward.

Yeah, that would be great. Otherwise, it's a big reach.

17. Likes:

Kc61 (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

If that was the case, why not draft the bigger fish now and draft Gray later, give them each the slot money that would even out the whole over/under process...

19. Likes:

membengal (06-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by americanoutlaw1 View Post
    If that was the case, why not draft the bigger fish now and draft Gray later, give them each the slot money that would even out the whole over/under process...
    Because if you fail to sign the bigger fish then they lose the slot money from the overall pool. If you take them later and fail to sign them then there is less of a hit on the ten round pool.

21. Likes:

M2 (06-05-2018),REDREAD (06-06-2018)

Here's the thing for me - Gray, and for that matter, Richardson, both have the talent and tools to be successful - command, developing consistent off speed stuff and adjusting to the pro workload while staying healthy - same for just about all guys who throw mid 90s heat coming out of HS. Yet the odds on these guys, on ANY guy picked in this part of the draft (really for anyone not picked in the top ten) is long. I don't have a problem with the picks. The odds are really no worse for these two than for any of the HS pitchers picked in the second and third rounds.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

23. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2018),WrongVerb (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Here's the thing for me - Gray, and for that matter, Richardson, both have the talent and tools to be successful - command, developing consistent off speed stuff and adjusting to the pro workload while staying healthy - same for just about all guys who throw mid 90s heat coming out of HS. Yet the odds on these guys, on ANY guy picked in this part of the draft (really for anyone not picked in the top ten) is long. I don't have a problem with the picks. The odds are really no worse for these two than for any of the HS pitchers picked in the second and third rounds.
    I get it, but it almost seems as though you'd be forgiving of a dart throw in these rounds since the success rates are so low anyway.

And another big piece here is, what does the guy become even if he "hits?" Did we grab a guy who, best case, might profile as a closer at some point?

If you're just gonna blindly toss darts, at least aim for the spots in the middle.

Turn Off Ads?