Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    And continued to drink. Not to blame Anthony Bourdain because obviously it’s a hell of an illness to be consumed by, but I imagine that will likely serve as an eye opener to many who are in recovery that still need to go all the way with it the way Anthony was unable to or thought he didn’t need to, for whatever reason.
    this will not open any eyes, people struggling with dependencies know full well how hard it is to kick

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    this will not open any eyes, people struggling with dependencies know full well how hard it is to kick
    I mean, sometimes people think “if I cut back I’ll be fine” or “in moderation” in denial of their full problem when what they need is to completely cut those substances out of their lives. I doubt entirely that this hasn’t already caused some people to re-examine their drinking habits today.

4. Likes:

Boston Red (06-09-2018)

Suicide is about pain and hopelessness, when those 2 outweigh your coping skills and buffers any moment of weakness can be deadly...especially if you have access to means.

I feel very sad for his daughter who he said meant the world to him...must have been in a very bad place.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

This article may come in handy some day for many of us on here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/h...e-helping.html

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (06-10-2018)

There's a ton of mental illness out there and I'm not really sure how much medical science can treat it. These recent suicides are by people who had the resources to treat it but obviously didn't. If you include depression, dementia, addictions, eating disorders, violence both physical and verbal,etc, etc to the mix, the number of mentally ill people would add up to a tremendous number. It's a very unstable world out there.

I worry about the state of the world and what it's doing to people.

I think back to Hunter Thompson, and the timing when he died. Of course there were other factors. There always are. It's a complicated thing. But still.

Bourdain had a daughter. I hope she'll be ok someday.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Suicides were prevelant at the beginning of the 1900s and into that decade. Drinking arsenic was one method used.
    Several baseball players took their own lives but the common man who felt if they did not become rich were useless and failures. The world was moving fast at the turn of that century. And obviously during the 30s it peaked to the highest rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Suicides were prevelant at the beginning of the 1900s and into that decade. Drinking arsenic was one method used.
    Several baseball players took their own lives but the common man who felt if they did not become rich were useless and failures. The world was moving fast at the turn of that century. And obviously during the 30s it peaked to the highest rate.
    What's particularly disturbing here is that rich and successful people are taking their own lives.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What's particularly disturbing here is that rich and successful people are taking their own lives.
    Way to put your finger on the real tragedy of suicide.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

Larkin Fan (06-09-2018),Redsfaithful (06-09-2018),westofyou (06-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Way to put your finger on the real tragedy of suicide.
    Like I said, mental illness is very prevalent today

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Anthony looked like he was living life and doing great work in sharing other peoples culture. I have no idea how bad his issues were. The designer seemed very depressed about an ending marriage which can lead you to even bigger depression.
    Perhaps what makes them great also is what makes them unstable no matter what the fame or money.

Seemed to be the case with Bourdain from what I have read...enjoyed the travel however 250 days per year seemed to take a toll on him and away from his protective factors which were his daughter and girlfriend. Toxicology results should be out soon, which may shed more light on where he was at that night.

He could mingle with cultures and ideas that were totally alien to him and still keep a non-judgemental open mind. It didn't matter if it were a remote village in Africa or rural America, he could have his convictions and still relate to the rest. His empathy is something I wish more would strive for.

That's not a common skill. World lost a real talent...I'll miss his shows. Beyond the intro to different cultures, I don't know that I'd have been as brave to try all kinds of crazy foods growing up if it weren't for him.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (06-10-2018)

Obviously I feel for his family and friends but anyone who commits suicide is a coward

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Gummer View Post
    Obviously I feel for his family and friends but anyone who commits suicide is a coward
    Cool ignorant hot take you got there
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (06-10-2018),Fil3232 (06-10-2018),Larry Schuler (06-10-2018),nmculbreth (06-10-2018),ochoa30 (06-10-2018),paintmered (06-10-2018),Redsfaithful (06-10-2018),Roy Tucker (06-10-2018),westofyou (06-10-2018)

Turn Off Ads?