Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I like Germany, but the world cup needs a new winner..... or at least one that doesn't have multiple cups already. I'm pulling for Spain. I think the 2008 - 2012 Spain national team is the best national team ever and I loved watching that team. I think they're going to be tough to beat.
    Didn’t Spain win in 2010?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Didn’t Spain win in 2010?
    Yes, but it was their first time. I just don't want Germany or Brazil or Italy (thank goodness they're not in it). I just want someone to win their first or second.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yes, but it was their first time. I just don't want Germany or Brazil or Italy (thank goodness they're not in it). I just want someone to win their first or second.
    There's room on the Belgium bandwagon for their run to the quarterfinals.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I will be in for Germany, considering I will be watching many of the matches from at my local German Club. I will also watch the England games because my wife has family over there. And of course I enjoy a good Underdog story.

This World Cup is interesting in that I usually have a few teams I want to root against. As of late, the two teams I've had the strongest distaste for, Italy and the Netherlands, primarily for negative play, are out. Portugal, maybe? Pepe is still on the team, right? The Russians maybe? Normally I kind of pull for the host, but man they are a tough team to like, what with their racist and hooligan fans, the fact that FIFA was given the option of siding with their own ethics and doping committees, which recommended bans for a number of players and officials, and the Russian officials who wanted allegations of doping and corruption to disappear, and Infantino sided with the Russians, gives me scant hope that this World Cup will be on the level. I will hope that the matches will be fair, but with how the Russians have been doing things, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some funny business going on with how the games are reffed and somehow Russia goes deep into the tournament following some sketchy calls. At the very least, I expect FIFA to turn a blind eye to violent or racist behavior from the host nation's fans.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

6. Likes:

Chip R (06-14-2018),IslandRed (06-14-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well, the hosts seemed to do alright this morning.....

9. Likes:

Chip R (06-14-2018),dabvu2498 (06-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, the hosts seemed to do alright this morning.....
    Playing Saudi Arabia will do that for you.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Playing Saudi Arabia will do that for you.
    Saudi Arabia versus me in soccer would be the worst thing you've ever seen. I'd probably win 1-0, but it would be real painful to watch.

Classic Ronaldo. Should not have been a penalty.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Wow. Very rare gaffe by De Gea.

Holy crap what a strike by Nacho!!!

Good gracious.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Unreal free kick by Ronaldo. But it wasn’t really a foul. Anyone but Ronaldo and it wouldn’t have been. 2 Ronaldo specials in one game.

17. Likes:

westofyou (06-15-2018)

This Portugal-Spain match is insane. I miss the US being here, but watching the game played at this level (not counting De Gea's gaffe on a stop I could have made) is just so much fun.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

schmidty622 (06-15-2018),westofyou (06-15-2018)

Unreal free kick by Ronaldo. But it wasn’t really a foul. Anyone but Ronaldo and it wouldn’t have been. 2 Ronaldo specials in one game.
    He's sick today eh?

Jeeeze

Turn Off Ads?