Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

That was a semifinal quality game.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Spain outclassed Portugal the majority of the game. Kind of flukey they didn’t win with how the goals were scored.

While fun to watch, the game probably didn’t make much difference. It’s hard to see both teams not advancing.

Spain put on a clinic most of the game. Tiki taka was back in full effect. They were a little too vulnerable to the quick counter today, but I still think they’re the class of the field. I like their chances to hoist the cup.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeah that was as fun of a game as the one before was terrible. Both of those teams are gonna drill Iran and Morocco.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Spain outclassed Portugal the majority of the game. Kind of flukey they didn’t win with how the goals were scored.

While fun to watch, the game probably didn’t make much difference. It’s hard to see both teams not advancing.

Spain put on a clinic most of the game. Tiki taka was back in full effect. They were a little too vulnerable to the quick counter today, but I still think they’re the class of the field. I like their chances to hoist the cup.
    Yep. Spain bossed the match other than two silly fouls against players looking to take one and the de Gea muff. Portugal has to feel like they stole that match.

It was wildly entertaining for the neutrals. More please.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

6. Likes:

IslandRed (06-15-2018),M2 (06-17-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I know that I'm asking a lot, but man, I hope we get a few more matches like Spain/Portugal in this World Cup.

8. Likes:

Chip R (06-16-2018)

Portugal 3: Espana 3
    A wonderful, dramatic, if not always well played, match. How does Spain allow Portugal the time and space to equalize when they had the game under control?
    Portugal didn't play this open style in Euro 2016. I like their courage, and I think it signals that they and other squads see weaknesses in Spain's style. Spain was ripped open repeatedly on the counterattack. Ramos and Puque looked slow in those situations (no surprise).
    DeGea had a poor game- not only did he fail to deal with Ronaldo's second goal but the wall he set up for the third goal did not effectively block the far post.
    Nacho - who knew he had a goal like that in him!
    Last edited by Betterread; 06-15-2018 at 11:23 PM.

The Peru/Denmark game was easily the most entertaining one so far other than Portugal/Spain. Who knew Peru was this good. It’s a shame they didn’t win. They deserved it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Peru/Denmark game was easily the most entertaining one so far other than Portugal/Spain. Who knew Peru was this good. It’s a shame they didn’t win. They deserved it.
    I missed the Peru/Denkmark game, but I've got the DVR set to record all of the games. Worth watching even while knowing the outcome?

I am watching now and oh my gosh. They've come so close a few times to reaching the net but have missed by that much (holding my fingers about two inches apart). Hope the next 20 minutes of game time are this good.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am watching now and oh my gosh. They've come so close a few times to reaching the net but have missed by that much (holding my fingers about two inches apart). Hope the next 20 minutes of game time are this good.
    It was crazy just how and just how close they came. They’re a good team.

14. Likes:

dougdirt (06-17-2018)

Is it just me, or are these American tv announcers dreadful. They’re tough to listen to.

Chicharito has been the worst player on the pitch today by far. He’s done nothing with several prime opportunities. A couple of them should have been goals. He looks old and slow and lacking any ball skills.
    Last edited by MWM; 06-17-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Someone forgot to tell Germany that the World Cup started. They played that game like it was a run of the mill friendly.

Is it just me, or are these American tv announcers dreadful. They’re tough to listen to.
    They're rough to listen to while they're pandering for the USMNT. To hear them pandering for Mexico instead is that much worse.

Fox generally has the worst announcers across all sports - see their coverage of the U.S. Open, for instance. For soccer, NBC sets the standard for studio and game commentary for their Premier League coverage. And even before they lost the U.S. license, ESPN figured out how to do a great job with the World Cup - it just took them a few years to realize they didn't have treat the average U.S. viewer as completely new to the game.

It's a shame we'll be stuck with Fox for the World Cup for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-17-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

19. Likes:

Big Klu (06-27-2018)

They didn’t even know how to pronounce the names of well known players. He mispronounced Ozil the entire game. It’s not like he’s an unknown. There’s no excuse for that for an announcer.

Turn Off Ads?