Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Chicharito has been the worst player on the pitch today by far. He’s done nothing with several prime opportunities. A couple of them should have been goals. He looks old and slow and lacking any ball skills.
    In their promos, Fox is featuring four players: Ronado, Messi, Neymar... and Chicharito.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

They didn’t even know how to pronounce the names of well known players. He mispronounced Ozil the entire game. It’s not like he’s an unknown. There’s no excuse for that for an announcer.
    This should be one of the first things an announcer does: Look at the roster and if there is a name they are absolutely not certain about how to pronounce, to find the correct way.

I'm not an announcer. But I do go on public airways at times to talk about players. I can not tell you how embarrassing it is when I find out that I've been pronouncing a guys name incorrectly. What makes it even worse is when I'm doing so while believing it's correct because I have asked someone who should know and been told incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    In their promos, Fox is featuring four players: Ronado, Messi, Neymar... and Chicharito.
    I mean, I get it though, Mexico is the most popular national team in the USA.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Switzerland totally over-matched. Brazil looking to be a force this WC.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Switzerland totally over-matched. Brazil looking to be a force this WC.
    I disagree with this take. Switzerland is hanging in there.

Swiss tie it up. This is not a bad Swiss team. The majority of their players play in top flight European leagues. These are rock solid players.

8. Likes:

paintmered (06-17-2018)

Is it me or is Neymar way more hyped than he should be?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm no expert but the Swiss getting a draw against Brazil is good, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm no expert but the Swiss getting a draw against Brazil is good, no?
    Yes, however, I want to point out Switzerland is currently ranked the 6th best team in the world. They are no USMNT or Australia.

Well, he's a fantastic diver.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Spain outclassed Portugal the majority of the game. Kind of flukey they didn’t win with how the goals were scored.

While fun to watch, the game probably didn’t make much difference. It’s hard to see both teams not advancing.

Spain put on a clinic most of the game. Tiki taka was back in full effect. They were a little too vulnerable to the quick counter today, but I still think they’re the class of the field. I like their chances to hoist the cup.
    I watched the game with some folks rooting for Portugal and they got exasperated about Spain owning the ball. Why don't they just take it from them? Because they can't. The skill and movement on that team is outrageous.

Oh, and fun with statistics: guess which player connected the most passes in that game?

I think Spain's biggest problem is De Gea. Never have trusted him in big games. The team will give up a few counters along the way because it's unavoidable when everyone gets forward. I'm not confident will snuff out those chances. He's also liable to give up another soft goal in a tight game. Reminds me of Zubizarreta, and that is not a compliment.
    Last edited by M2; 06-17-2018 at 05:27 PM.

They didn’t even know how to pronounce the names of well known players. He mispronounced Ozil the entire game. It’s not like he’s an unknown. There’s no excuse for that for an announcer.
    Technically he wasn’t, that’s how you are supposed to say it. Everyone just pronounces it the other way and it’s become accepted.

Who is Germany's star with Philip Lahm gone? Klose got the all the accolades in 2014, but Lahm was the special weltmesitershaft.
    To my eyes, Muller, and Ozil THINK they are it, but to me, Reus is better than Muller (why didn't he start vrs. Mexico?) and Real ascended to another level when they replaced Ozil with Modric.
    In my perception, this is Kloos' Cup, he is a magnificent creator and passer and underrated midefield destroyer. He and Neuer are unique but they have to grab the moment. Kloos has to take over. If he doesn't, Germany will let lesser talent get the chances and they will be vulnerable.
    Last edited by Betterread; 06-18-2018 at 02:47 AM.

What or who is the standard you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Who is Germany's star with Philip Lahm gone? Klose got the all the accolades in 2014, but Lahm was the special weltmesitershaft.
    To my eyes, Muller, and Ozick THINK they are it, but to me, Reus is better than Muller (why wasn't he subbed in vrs. Mexico?) and Real ascended to another level when they replaced Ozil with Modric.
    In my perception, this is Kloos' Cup, he is a magnificent creator and passer and underrated midefield destroyer. He and Neuer are unique but they have to grab the moment. Kloos has to take over. If he doesn't, Germany will let lesser talent get the chances and they will be vulnerable.
    I'd argue Schweinsteiger was their star four years ago, along with Neuer. Fair to question who it is now. Kroos and Ozil are the two most talented players (though Hummels and Boateng form an imposing central defense). Yet neither one takes over games. Ozil sometimes, but Kroos is often invisible in his best games. He's just setting a ball tempo that's destroying the other team.

I think it set Germany back when Schurrle and Goetze didn't materialize as full-blown stars. Now they're trying to win with depth, and they still might, but they aren't as fearsome as they were four years when most of this team was at its peak.

A lot might depend on Timo Werner becoming the designated goal scorer.

Turn Off Ads?