I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Landon Donovan: "My other team is Mexico."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-...supporting-ads
    It’s pretty hilarious listening to him defend it. Just say that Wells Fargo gave you a check and move on.

4. Likes:

Chip R (06-18-2018),Hoosier Red (06-18-2018),paintmered (06-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, he's a fantastic diver.
    Yeah, he's as bad as Robben. Yesterday's game was a clinic in it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I watched the game with some folks rooting for Portugal and they got exasperated about Spain owning the ball. Why don't they just take it from them? Because they can't. The skill and movement on that team is outrageous.

Oh, and fun with statistics: guess which player connected the most passes in that game?

I think Spain's biggest problem is De Gea. Never have trusted him in big games. The team will give up a few counters along the way because it's unavoidable when everyone gets forward. I'm not confident will snuff out those chances. He's also liable to give up another soft goal in a tight game. Reminds me of Zubizarreta, and that is not a compliment.
    My 15 year old son has really gotten into watching soccer with me the past couple of years. I was trying to describe the Spanish style of play to him. He didn't get it. Then we watched the game, and even a 15 year old who has never played the game could realize he was watching something different than the other teams. For me, it's the most impressive thing going right now in international football. It's fun to watch.

I thought De Gea was widely considered the best goalkeeper in the world. I didn't realize he had a bad big game reputation.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    My 15 year old son has really gotten into watching soccer with me the past couple of years. I was trying to describe the Spanish style of play to him. He didn't get it. Then we watched the game, and even a 15 year old who has never played the game could realize he was watching something different than the other teams. For me, it's the most impressive thing going right now in international football. It's fun to watch.
    With Spain you have to watch the guys off the ball more than the guy on the ball. It's like trying to stop a swarm of bees. Ramos connected 118 passes in that game. They have a CD initiating the offense. Pique can do it too. The skill level is through the roof.

I thought De Gea was widely considered the best goalkeeper in the world. I didn't realize he had a bad big game reputation.
    He doesn't have that reputation, but he should. He gagged during Euro 2016 and he's had shaky moments in qualifiers. A big part of that job is you're not protected. Playing at ManU behind defensive-minded schemes is a lot different from handling the long stretches of inactivity punctuated by code red moments for Spain. De Gea's going to worry me this whole tournament.

Then again, we learned 20 years ago you can win a World Cup with Fabian Barthez in the net.
    Last edited by M2; 06-18-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Then again, we learned 20 years ago you can win a World Cup with Fabian Barthez in the net.
    It helps to have the the best player in the world at the time.

9. Likes:

M2 (06-18-2018)

Tunisia deserves some credit for not wilting under England's initial flurry. Tied 1-1 at the half, when it looked like it was going to be a romp.

Can England mimic Belgium's 2nd half goal explosion?

Tunisia deserves some credit for not wilting under England's initial flurry. Tied 1-1 at the half, when it looked like it was going to be a romp.

Can England mimic Belgium's 2nd half goal explosion?
    Doubt it. Every World Cup and Euro I have the same reaction of "why isn't England better than they are?". Doesn't make sense that they can't produce more world class players.

Why is Sterling in the starting lineup? He's not very good.

Doubt it. Every World Cup and Euro I have the same reaction of "why isn't England better than they are?". Doesn't make sense that they can't produce more world class players.
    Midfielders, they don't have 'em. I was watching Betancur, Uruguay's #6, last week (because he might be jumping clubs after the WC) and I can't remember England having a guy like him, someone capable of directing the flow.

I'm watching right now and they're owning the ball, but can't work through the middle. Henderson might as well not be there.

Midfielders, they don't have 'em. I was watching Betancur, Uruguay's #6, last week (because he might be jumping clubs after the WC) and I can't remember England having a guy like him, someone capable of directing the flow.

I'm watching right now and they're owning the ball, but can't work through the middle. Henderson might as well not be there.
    They don't seem to be especially strong at any position. They're average across the board, with the exception of Harry Kane.

What I don't get is why. Why can't they produce better players in that country? All of the other of the big 5 consistently produce a handful of elite players. England doesn't any more.

They don't seem to be especially strong at any position. They're average across the board, with the exception of Harry Kane.

What I don't get is why. Why can't they produce better players in that country? All of the other of the big 5 consistently produce a handful of elite players. England doesn't any more.
    I like their back line. Good speed, going to be hard to get behind them. Both of Kane's goals also were vulture efforts off an initial header won by a defender.

Wow, what a start to the Colombia-Japan game.

Colombia is clearly trying as hard as they can to get Japan down to 10 as well. I hope the ref doesn't buy what they're trying to sell. The Colombians are very skilled, but they may be the most cynical overall team in the tournament.

Terrible call on the foul to give the free kick. It was a no call or a foul on Colombia.

Turn Off Ads?