Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Charles Krauthammer, R.I.P.

Charles Krauthammer, R.I.P.

Charles Krauthammer, Pulitzer Prize winning columnist and commentator, died yesterday at age 68. Any debate regarding his political commentary belongs in the politics forum, so I won't start that discussion here. What is beyond debate is his courage [although he didn't like compliments in that regard]; his career accomplishments despite being paralyzed at age 22 were remarkable. Oh, he was also an ardent baseball fan. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Charles Krauthammer, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Charles Krauthammer, Pulitzer Prize winning columnist and commentator, died yesterday at age 68. Any debate regarding his political commentary belongs in the politics forum, so I won't start that discussion here. What is beyond debate is his courage [although he didn't like compliments in that regard]; his career accomplishments despite being paralyzed at age 22 were remarkable. Oh, he was also an ardent baseball fan. R.I.P.
    Krauthammer is closest thing I've ever seen to a (Star Trek) Vulcan in real life. He was pure logic. He saw that his life was irreversibly changed in 1972 due to his diving accident so he accepted that and moved on. He had that same logic at the end of his life, basically saying yeah, I had planned to live longer but that's not going to happen when you get an aggressive cancer so "I'm out of here''. He never allowed for any ounce of pity. He made a living by using logic to analyze geopolitics too and he did that amazingly well. To say I'll miss him is an understatement. I've missed him since he left the air last August. I knew when watching him that he was not destined to live a long life but this is still hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Krauthammer is closest thing I've ever seen to a (Star Trek) Vulcan in real life. He was pure logic. He saw that his life was irreversibly changed in 1972 due to his diving accident so he accepted that and moved on. He had that same logic at the end of his life, basically saying yeah, I had planned to live longer but that's not going to happen when you get an aggressive cancer so "I'm out of here''. He never allowed for any ounce of pity. He made a living by using logic to analyze geopolitics too and he did that amazingly well. To say I'll miss him is an understatement. I've missed him since he left the air last August. I knew when watching him that he was not destined to live a long life but this is still hard.
    in his obituary in the WSJ they commented on his consistent use of facts. very rare these days. RIP Charles.

5. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    in his obituary in the WSJ they commented on his consistent use of facts. very rare these days. RIP Charles.
    Pity about his predictions. That "three week" Iraq war ended up lasting a tad longer.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

7. Likes:

RBA (06-26-2018),Rojo (07-09-2018),Wonderful Monds (06-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Pity about his predictions. That "three week" Iraq war ended up lasting a tad longer.
    I don't know to what you're referring and you were correct to not include it in this thread but overall he made a lot of sense

Lets stick to the topic of his death. Any of his political views should be discussed in the political forum.

Thank you,

RZ Management
    Reds Fan Since 1971

you were correct to not include it in this thread
    There wasn't much to his life that wasn't political. He was a thoroughly horrible human being who aided and abetted the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. He lowered American discourse tremendously and debased us as a country.

If you talk realistically about his life, you're "being political" but if you laud him you're not - makes sense.

Kudos to RedsBaron, the initial post was not political, and I left it alone for that reason.
    Last edited by Redsfaithful; 06-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.

11. Likes:

Rojo (07-09-2018),Wonderful Monds (06-27-2018)

There wasn't much to his life that wasn't political. He was a thoroughly horrible human being who aided and abetted the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. He lowered American discourse tremendously and debased us as a country.

If you talk realistically about his life, you're "being political" but if you laud him you're not - makes sense.

Kudos to RedsBaron, the initial post was not political, and I left it alone for that reason.
    I disagree with you and so do many others. His praises have come from both sides of the aisle. It's a shame you can't see past politics. He was "an enormous" human being. I'm envious of his intellect and all that he accomplished.

He was a thoroughly horrible human being
    Well, that's one of the best endorsements I've ever seen. I'll have to check out some of his stuff. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Well, that's one of the best endorsements I've ever seen. I'll have to check out some of his stuff. Thanks!
    I literally couldn't imagine a bigger waste of time, for numerous reasons, only some of which involve how terrible of a person he was, so you are super welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

His praises have come from both sides of the aisle.
    Well, as a society we don't generally like to speak ill of the dead.

When it's a person who made the world poorer for their presence I find it fair.

15. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-27-2018)

I literally couldn't imagine a bigger waste of time
    We all have thousands of posts on RedsZone!

17. Likes:

RedEye (06-26-2018),Redsfaithful (06-26-2018)

I didn't read many of his columns because he wasn't really syndicated in the papers I read. My experience with him was on The McLaughlin Group. I used to watch the show with my dad and never knew he was disabled until my dad pointed out he was sitting in a wheelchair and not a regular chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I didn't read many of his columns because he wasn't really syndicated in the papers I read. My experience with him was on The McLaughlin Group. I used to watch the show with my dad and never knew he was disabled until my dad pointed out he was sitting in a wheelchair and not a regular chair.
    I haven't watched Fox News in years so I didn't follow much of what he had to say. I never knew he was in a wheel chair either, I just know he looked terrible. When I found out he was paralyzed things started to make sense.

Turn Off Ads?