Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Weird Window/Wall Unit A/C Install question

Weird Window/Wall Unit A/C Install question

We have a sun room with vinyl walls on the bottom and large glass windows on top. We have an AC unit sticking through a hole in the vinyl, installed by the builders. Doesn't cool as well as it used to so am getting ready to replace it.

Doing some research (since I knew nothing), it appeared I would need a "through the wall" a/c. I actually ordered one today. Just for giggles I looked up my old one, and it's a "window" a/c. The install instructions specifically say not to install it through the wall. But they did.

So now I'm wondering the best course of action.

1) Buy the "through the wall" (which I've already done, delivered in 10 days or so), and a sleeve (because I don't think I have one).

or

2) Buy a "window" a/c that fits my hole.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weird Window/Wall Unit A/C Install question

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    We have a sun room with vinyl walls on the bottom and large glass windows on top. We have an AC unit sticking through a hole in the vinyl, installed by the builders. Doesn't cool as well as it used to so am getting ready to replace it.

Doing some research (since I knew nothing), it appeared I would need a "through the wall" a/c. I actually ordered one today. Just for giggles I looked up my old one, and it's a "window" a/c. The install instructions specifically say not to install it through the wall. But they did.

So now I'm wondering the best course of action.

1) Buy the "through the wall" (which I've already done, delivered in 10 days or so), and a sleeve (because I don't think I have one).

or

2) Buy a "window" a/c that fits my hole.
    depending on cost, maybe a ductless minisplit system?
    https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewca...categoryID=319

I may put one in my old house, which i will be renting initially to my son then as a means for extra income after he eventually moves out.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    depending on cost, maybe a ductless minisplit system?
    https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewca...categoryID=319

I may put one in my old house, which i will be renting initially to my son then as a means for extra income after he eventually moves out.
    While those seem really cool, and might be an option if I was starting from scratch, I don't think it helps me and my "ac stuck in a hole in the wall" situation. We're proceeding with the "through the wall" option and hoping the sunroom builder framed up the hole well....

I'm circling back to this issue.... here's where we stand: Bought the "through the wall" unit. It's a couple inches wider than the window a/c, so once we got it out, we were going to have to widen the hole. Had a brother in law who's handy and he had all kinds of tools.

But no matter what we tried, we couldn't get the window a/c unit out of the wall.

So, now I'm weighing options, and it almost seems like I am down to 2 options. 1) Have a sunroom company basically cut the window unit out, and in the process create the bigger hole needed for the through the wall.... I'm figuring this is going to be expensive. ($500?). I already have $600 in an a/c and sleeve. (that I can return).

So, now I'm starting to think that maybe TRF isn't so crazy after all. I can probably get one of these mini-splits in for $1,000 and all they have to do is cut a 3" hole for cables to go thru. (and I'd have to have electrician put an outside junction box on the outside of the wall. There is already a dedicated 20 amp line inside the wall at the same spot.

I'm definitely looking into it.

- - - Updated - - -

And...... I have two rental properties in Phoenix, Az. They oldest was built in 2001. Still on the first a/c. I'm going to have to replace them at some point.... If home experiment works, I may go for split for them also.

6. Likes:

TRF (07-16-2018)

Jax, If you go this route, I'd love to see some pics of installation and hear how well it cools, cost of use etc.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?