Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone notice what Vlad Gutierrez has been doing?

Re: Anyone notice what Vlad Gutierrez has been doing?

I love what Varner is doing. Looking forward to what Ross does next season at Pensacola.

There are 2-3 good Starter prospects at every level right now. Makes it so there's no rush and they can be challenged exactly when and where they need to be.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I love what Varner is doing. Looking forward to what Ross does next season at Pensacola.

There are 2-3 good Starter prospects at every level right now. Makes it so there's no rush and they can be challenged exactly when and where they need to be.
    Serious question - what makes you think Varner will be a big league starter?

I see a 26-year old lefty who has fringe-average stuff. I'm just hoping he's a possible bullpen lefty.

Just wondered what you saw to make you think he's a future starter.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

Quote Originally Posted by CRDB40 View Post
    Serious question - what makes you think Varner will be a big league starter?

I see a 26-year old lefty who has fringe-average stuff. I'm just hoping he's a possible bullpen lefty.

Just wondered what you saw to make you think he's a future starter.
    I don't know more or less than when Homer was in AAA. Homer has proven to be much more on the bad side than on the good side of his major league career, and he doesn't get any excuses for "injuries" later in his career. He sucked far too long the first several years he tried to pitch in the Majors.

So, to answer your question, "nobody knows one way or another about any potential Starting Pitcher."

But, what leads me to say, "I love what Varner is doing", is based on many things, but mostly his success this year. I don't project him to be in the rotation any of the next five seasons, but there's also a possibility that he earns as many as 40 starts from 2019-2021. That is all up to him. The success he has shown this year needs to be duplicated next year, continued this year, and if that happens, he should receive some starts beginning in 2019. He's already proven he's capable of Starting because he can keep his walks down and get out of an inning with a strikeout, while avoiding the meltdown inning. But, it's only at a level where his age is greater than his competition, and this will always be the case for him in the Minor leagues, so there's a huge red flag. The only test that will matter is pitching in the Majors. Unfortunately for him, because of his age, he won't receive any leeway or extra rope that Moss, Lopez, Mella, Gutierrez, and, of course, Greene and Santillan will all receive, just as Homer did for so long, and continues to receive. So, Varner has to show he belongs in the Majors within his first two stints, or he will, as you say, have to become a Reliever, and try to earn his way onto various clubs for the rest of his career.

But, right now, I love what he's doing, and he projects to earn an opportunity as early as next season if he continues to do what he's doing. He's showing wisdom and intelligence and confidence as a Starter. That's more than 50% of the battle, but it's only a true battle when measured against opponents of like or greater experience. The success he's having is still success, though, even if it's against lesser competition. That can be built on. There are other factors that makes what he's doing a greater accomplishment than just his age advantage. But, first things first. Continue to dominate at this level, and when promoted this season and/or next, begin dominating before 10 starts have passed to prove that it wasn't just an age advantage this season.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I don't project him to be in the rotation any of the next five seasons, but there's also a possibility that he earns as many as 40 starts from 2019-2021.
    You've done a nice job covering all your bases.

Problem with Varner is he reminds me of the Matt Maloney type....guy good enough to get minor leaguers out but whose stuff doesn't pass the major league hitter test.

He is lefty though which may help his stuff play up a bit...maybe a successful spot stsrter-long relief guy?
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

7. Likes:

IndianaRed (07-25-2018),Kingspoint (07-24-2018),Old school 1983 (07-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Blotto View Post
    You've done a nice job covering all your bases.
    That's the only way to see a prospect in AA, who has had marginal success prior to this season with an age advantage this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Problem with Varner is he reminds me of the Matt Maloney type....guy good enough to get minor leaguers out but whose stuff doesn't pass the major league hitter test.

He is lefty though which may help his stuff play up a bit...maybe a successful spot stsrter-long relief guy?
    Pretty good comparison.

I don't know more or less than when Homer was in AAA. Homer has proven to be much more on the bad side than on the good side of his major league career, and he doesn't get any excuses for "injuries" later in his career. He sucked far too long the first several years he tried to pitch in the Majors.

So, to answer your question, "nobody knows one way or another about any potential Starting Pitcher."

But, what leads me to say, "I love what Varner is doing", is based on many things, but mostly his success this year. I don't project him to be in the rotation any of the next five seasons, but there's also a possibility that he earns as many as 40 starts from 2019-2021. That is all up to him. The success he has shown this year needs to be duplicated next year, continued this year, and if that happens, he should receive some starts beginning in 2019. He's already proven he's capable of Starting because he can keep his walks down and get out of an inning with a strikeout, while avoiding the meltdown inning. But, it's only at a level where his age is greater than his competition, and this will always be the case for him in the Minor leagues, so there's a huge red flag. The only test that will matter is pitching in the Majors. Unfortunately for him, because of his age, he won't receive any leeway or extra rope that Moss, Lopez, Mella, Gutierrez, and, of course, Greene and Santillan will all receive, just as Homer did for so long, and continues to receive. So, Varner has to show he belongs in the Majors within his first two stints, or he will, as you say, have to become a Reliever, and try to earn his way onto various clubs for the rest of his career.

But, right now, I love what he's doing, and he projects to earn an opportunity as early as next season if he continues to do what he's doing. He's showing wisdom and intelligence and confidence as a Starter. That's more than 50% of the battle, but it's only a true battle when measured against opponents of like or greater experience. The success he's having is still success, though, even if it's against lesser competition. That can be built on. There are other factors that makes what he's doing a greater accomplishment than just his age advantage. But, first things first. Continue to dominate at this level, and when promoted this season and/or next, begin dominating before 10 starts have passed to prove that it wasn't just an age advantage this season.
    Ok, but we could literally say that about every minor league starter in baseball.

He's 26, he has fringe-average stuff, and he's not excelling in any discernible area. Yes, he's pitching darn well, but there's nothing standout in stats or scouting report that would indicate he's actually a legit SP prospect.

He appears to be an org arm, and a reliever at best (again, in my opinion). I like Redleg Jake's comp to Maloney - a long reliever type. A guy who will bounce up and down and get some looks, but doesn't have the stuff to stick permanently.

I was looking for a reason to believe something more than that - maybe something I didn't know about. You've stated your confidence in Varner in multiple threads, and have pointed to your history as a card dealer in making future valuations. I was more looking for specific examples of Varner/his skillset that sparks your gut reaction there.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Seth Varner topped out at 87 MPH last night. I'd like to see if he could get into the low 90's out of the bullpen just going 1-inning at a time and letting it fly. But I don't think there's much chance he starts in the Major Leagues ever.

11. Likes:

CRDB40 (07-24-2018),Edd Roush (07-24-2018),Griffey012 (07-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Seth Varner topped out at 87 MPH last night. I'd like to see if he could get into the low 90's out of the bullpen just going 1-inning at a time and letting it fly. But I don't think there's much chance he starts in the Major Leagues ever.
    I think I asked this awhile back, but is his breaking ball good enough to be a LOOGY?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I like to let a guy advance till he fails. Lot of soft tossers have made. (Lots have not).
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-25-2018),mace (07-25-2018)

9gs, 55ip, 36h, 14bb, 3hbp, 4hr, 11er, 58Ks
    9.5 k/9, 0.96whip, 1.80 era

The wheels came loose but never fell off as Vlad kept working out of jams to keep the Wahoos in it. I'll take it if this is his "clunker" start. Still reallyx impressive numbers for his last 9 starts.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-25-2018),REDREAD (07-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I like to let a guy advance till he fails. Lot of soft tossers have made. (Lots have not).
    Same here. Everyone has a ceiling, but it's up to them to determine it. We provide the tools and opportunity. They provide the effort.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-26-2018)

Turn Off Ads?