Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Cristiano Ronaldo officially moving to Juve for £105M - http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...o-ronaldo-deal

That seems like it might be a big deal.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Re: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Cristiano Ronaldo officially moving to Juve for £105M - http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...o-ronaldo-deal

That seems like it might be a big deal.
    What will it do to the competitive balance in La Liga? Are Barcelona the clear cut favorites now? Him going to Juvy pretty cements their hold on the Seria A.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What will it do to the competitive balance in La Liga? Are Barcelona the clear cut favorites now? Him going to Juvy pretty cements their hold on the Seria A.
    Madrid has a vault full of money (and might be selling Benzema and Bale as well). Kind of depends on who gets added. There's rumors about Neymar (do not want), Lewandowski (probably coming off his peak), Hazard (who runs a little hot/cold, but he's due for hot) and Mbappe (yes please). The post-WC player movement is going to be something to behold for most major clubs in the top leagues. I assume Barca will be the favorites regardless, though they are going to miss Iniesta.

Juve seems like a safe bet for Serie A.

Madrid has a vault full of money (and might be selling Benzema and Bale as well). Kind of depends on who gets added. There's rumors about Neymar (do not want), Lewandowski (probably coming off his peak), Hazard (who runs a little hot/cold, but he's due for hot) and Mbappe (yes please). The post-WC player movement is going to be something to behold for most major clubs in the top leagues. I assume Barca will be the favorites regardless, though they are going to miss Iniesta.

Juve seems like a safe bet for Serie A.
    I don't follow it as closely as you do, but of the list of players, Mbappe is really the only one that I think you would see your money's worth. Neymar is as good as anyone, but his history of flopping like a fish out of water has shown to be a detriment. Hazard is young enough to get your money's worth, but he does run hot and cold. Lewandowski is a little old in the tooth for a big time deal. I see Kane mentioned, would he move from the EPL?

What I find kinda ironic, is you normally see some unheralded names rise to the top in WC play, but it seems like this year, it has mostly been the usual suspects. In years past you saw guys like James, Alexi Sanchez, Yedlin have good WC's and get transfer offers from big time teams, I don't know if any "under the radar" types really stood out this WC.

I am interested to see what happens to Pulisic.

5. Likes:

M2 (07-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What I find kinda ironic, is you normally see some unheralded names rise to the top in WC play, but it seems like this year, it has mostly been the usual suspects. In years past you saw guys like James, Alexi Sanchez, Yedlin have good WC's and get transfer offers from big time teams, I don't know if any "under the radar" types really stood out this WC.
    We should see a run on those sorts of guys. Arsenal just scooped up Uruguay DM Lucas Torreira (arguably the kind of #6 the club has needed for the past decade-plus). Numerous teams are stalking Serbia's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. Mexico's Hirving Lozano probably gets a big money offer soon. I'll be kind of shocked if Croatia's Domagoj Vida doesn't have multiple EPL suitors. There's no James, but that shop window is wide open.

Borussia Dortmund beat Liverpool 3-1 last night in a stateside preseason game. Some kid named Pulisic scored twice.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Borussia Dortmund beat Liverpool 3-1 last night in a stateside preseason game. Some kid named Pulisic scored twice.
    Name rings a bell. He's supposed to be pretty good, right?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

9. Likes:

M2 (07-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Name rings a bell. He's supposed to be pretty good, right?
    He's got a lot of potential. He's still too small to impose his skills on the game consistently. I'm not sure he would even make Croatia's national team midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    He's got a lot of potential. He's still too small to impose his skills on the game consistently. I'm not sure he would even make Croatia's national team midfield.
    I understand he's not an elite player, and I'm not sure he ever will be. However, I'm confused about the size thing. I gotta believe he's bigger than Modric, and he's definitely bigger than Messi. Andrea Pirlo, one of my all-time favorites, can't be bigger than Pulisic either. Why is his size an issue?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The big rumor today is Real Madrid for Pulisic. I can't see that happening, but I'm curious if this would be exciting for you to have an up and coming American on your team; or are you less excited because he's not likely to upgrade the team as it is now?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The big rumor today is Real Madrid for Pulisic. I can't see that happening, but I'm curious if this would be exciting for you to have an up and coming American on your team; or are you less excited because he's not likely to upgrade the team as it is now?
    It would be cool from a novelty standpoint. Madrid could use a winger and I'm in favor of buying players before they cost a mint (though Pulisic still will cost around 60M Euro). Most of Madrid's midfielders and forwards operate best in central roles. Isco, Bale, Asensio and Vazquez can operate in wide positions, but the first three currently need to carry a lot of the scoring load. They've relied on Marcelo and Carvajal to provide width, but there's rumors that Marcelo might be headed out (which breaks my heart).

It's always hard to know which young players are going to click with Madrid. It's a daily war for playing time. Some disappear while others raise their games. It's the big boss level of club soccer. For his part, Pulisic seems to revel in a challenge. It would be interesting. Can't really make me more excited for the season because that's always pinned at max.

14. Likes:

MWM (07-29-2018)

Please oh please don’t let it be Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Please oh please don’t let it be Chelsea.
    I kind of like non-Mourinho Chelsea. Plus, maybe if they bring in Pulisic, Miazga gets a chance too and they become the yanks abroad team.

I kind of like non-Mourinho Chelsea. Plus, maybe if they bring in Pulisic, Miazga gets a chance too and they become the yanks abroad team.
    Yeah, it's probably a good situation for him, but rooting for Chelsea is like rooting for the Steelers for me. I really like Pulisic and I've been looking for a European team to go all-in as a fan. There are some teams I like, but not one that has captured me enough to make me a life-long fan regardless. I thought it Pulisic wound up with one of the teams I've had my eye on, that could become the team. But that won't be Chelsea.

I would avoid Chelsea at all costs if Pulisic wants to control his destiny. They just seem to buy up talent just to loan them out. I believe they have 38 players out on loan. I get the impression that, with them, it's more about controlling young talent and where it goes rather than developing players for the first team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?