Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

While what Man City has done is impressive, they need to stop calling it a treble. Without Europe, it’s just a double. No one really cares all that much about Carabao. It’s redundant in the “treble” conversation.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

M2 (05-18-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone see Sunderland’s first goal in the L1 playoff final? Hilarious.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Heartbreaking for Sunderland, but you’ve got to play to the last whistle. They controlled their own destiny down the stretch of the season and kinda fell apart.

6. Likes:

M2 (05-26-2019)

Atalanta finished third in serie A, above both Milans.Inter was fourth. (Juve and Napoli are 1 and 2) 1-4 in Italy make champions league. So AC Milan finished 5th, and go to Euros. This is a real underdog team that played wonderful football all year and completely derserved their position. Congrats to Atalanta - led by Zapata, Illicic, Pasalic and most of all Papu Gomez.

8. Likes:

M2 (05-26-2019)

Aston Villa wins their playoff vrs Derby County to regain a place in the premier league. It is good to see them back in the top league. Grealish and Abraham are legitimate premier league attackers. They were in the premier league until 2016. It was also a coaching contest between two Chelsea legends - John Terry is an asst manager at Villa and Frank Lampard is the Derby County manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Aston Villa wins their playoff vrs Derby County to regain a place in the premier league. It is good to see them back in the top league. Grealish and Abraham are legitimate premier league attackers. They were in the premier league until 2016. It was also a coaching contest between two Chelsea legends - John Terry is an asst manager at Villa and Frank Lampard is the Derby County manager.
    Easy to forget that Villa's a very big club. Randy Lerner made the world forget that, but hopefully they can get back to having some swagger.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If there was any question on who was the best pickup in Europe this year, Virgil Van Dijk answered it today.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    If there was any question on who was the best pickup in Europe this year, Virgil Van Dijk answered it today.
    Well, they got him last year, but he's a rock.

Meanwhile, that game was unwatchable.

Agreed. The game itself was awful. Felt like a run of the mill EPL games. Getting a goal a minute in didn’t help.

I had forgotten they got him the middle of last year. Either way, he played a brilliant game today.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Agreed. The game itself was awful. Felt like a run of the mill EPL games. Getting a goal a minute in didn’t help.
    Thirded. A three-week layoff can't help but make teams match-rusty, and on top of that some players e.g. Kane and Firmino came back into the lineups who'd been out even longer than that. And an early goal always changes the dynamics. With that goal in hand, Liverpool played more reserved than usual IMO.

I admit to being the more casual variety of Liverpool fan, so the result wasn't going to affect my life either way, but I do like Klopp and I'm happy he got his CL trophy. The real MVP from the date of his hiring until now, though, is the combined club effort of deciding who to pursue in the transfer market. It's not just that they've spent money. They have, but they've sold off quite a bit, too. I saw an analysis where, from October 2015 (Klopp's hiring) until June 2018, they were actually net-minus on transfer spending. A lot of that was the Coutinho sale, and once they finished spending that money they bought Alisson and Fabinho after that, but the point is, their net spend has not been outrageous. What they've done, though, is have a near-perfect hit rate on incoming transfers. When they've paid for quality, they've gotten quality. (I suppose the jury is still out on Naby Keita but he was starting to turn it on before he got nicked up again.) And in a couple of cases, much more than they paid for. Everyone talks about Mo Salah, but Andy Robertson was a heist of the highest order.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

15. Likes:

dabvu2498 (06-02-2019),membengal (06-03-2019),OldRightHander (06-03-2019),schmidty622 (06-02-2019)

BTW, Sergio Ramos set a new record with his 122nd win in international competition, passing Iker Casillas. He could make it 123 in the next 40 minutes if Spain beats Sweden. Closest active player to him is Cristiano Ronaldo at 92.

... and Sergio just hit the penalty to put Spain ahead for potential win #123.
    Last edited by M2; 06-10-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Is Atlético primed for a big year or is Real dreadful?

Felix looks the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Is Atlético primed for a big year or is Real dreadful?

Felix looks the real deal.
    Four goals and now a red card for Diego Costa today.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

19. Likes:

schmidty622 (07-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Four goals and now a red card for Diego Costa today.
    Classic! Would love to see a Benzema v Costa fight in the octagon.

- - - Updated - - -

Preseason yeah but this is an embarrasment for Los Blancos

Happy Premier League Eve everyone!

Turn Off Ads?