Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Madrid's 1,011 days as reigning European champions is coming to an end. Ajax is putting a pasting on them. Been a sweet run. I expect Madrid will do some shopping this summer (make mine Mbappe). Best of luck to Ajax moving forward.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

schmidty622 (03-14-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Ajax pretty much played a perfect game today. That was about as well as they're capable of playing. They could have beaten anyone today.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

5. Likes:

schmidty622 (03-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Ajax pretty much played a perfect game today. That was about as well as they're capable of playing. They could have beaten anyone today.
    Great job by Ajax. It makes me a little nostalgic over living in Europe in the 1990s, when Ajax was one of the top teams in Europe. I still remember their Champions League victory in 1995. I was living in Salzburg at the time, and during the group stage, there was an incident between Austria Salzburg and AC Milan in Milan, where someone from the stands threw a water bottle that hit the Salzburg keeper Otto Konrad in the head right as Milan scored their first goal. As a result, Konrad had to be removed from the game due to a concussion. Milan scored two more against the backup keeper, winning 3-0. UEFA issued a ruling that Milan would be docked the points from the win for fan interference, but allowed the goal count to stand. So when Milan and Salzburg ended the group stage tied on points, Milan went through on the goal differential, whereas if they had been docked the goals as well, Salzburg would have gone through. So when the final was held in Vienna between Milan and Ajax, the entire country of Austria was behind Ajax. So when Ajax won, it was almost as if Austria had won. People went crazy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

7. Likes:

IslandRed (03-07-2019),M2 (03-06-2019)

Can someone explain to me how that may not have been a handball at the end of the Manu-PSG game? That announcer seemed really surprised by the call, but it seemed like an easy one to me. the guy jumped, turned his back, and extended his arm away from his body. Maybe I don't understand the handball rules.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Can someone explain to me how that may not have been a handball at the end of the Manu-PSG game? That announcer seemed really surprised by the call, but it seemed like an easy one to me. the guy jumped, turned his back, and extended his arm away from his body. Maybe I don't understand the handball rules.
    Thought the same thing. I don’t know why this was controversial. I mean it’s a tough way to lose, but his hand wasn’t right by his body and it absolutely impacted the play.

That was a stone cold handball.

M2, the rumors of Mourinho taking over Real can’t possibly be true, can they?

M2, the rumors of Mourinho taking over Real can’t possibly be true, can they?
    I can't even bring myself to contemplate it. He's a disaster of a human and they went on a streak unrivaled in the 21st century as soon as he left. Look at what's happening at ManU right now. Horrible idea. Fortunately it's a rumor coming from the British press, which almost never gets it right when it comes to Spanish clubs.
    Last edited by M2; 03-07-2019 at 01:02 AM.

13. Likes:

paintmered (03-07-2019),puca (03-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I can't even bring myself to contemplate it. He's a disaster of a human and they went on a streak unrivaled in the 21st century as soon as he left. Look at what's happening at ManU right now. Horrible idea. Fortunately it's a rumor coming from the British press, which almost never gets it right when it comes to Spanish clubs.
    The British press almost never gets it right with British clubs as well.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

15. Likes:

M2 (03-07-2019)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Raise your hand if you didn't see Zidane coming back to Real Madrid before they even finished a season without him.

If this was some secret plan on his part to not be sacked for the downturn he knew was coming, it worked perfectly. So far, anyway.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 03-11-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

17. Likes:

M2 (03-11-2019)

Yep, Madrid onto its 3rd manager of the year - some guy named Zidane. Lots of side stories on this. Supposedly he's got more control over signings now. Repots are the club president tried to float Mourinho to the players and was informed there would be a mass exodus.

Most immediate player ramifications would seem to be Bale heading away this summer and Isco out of the doghouse. Also seems highly likely Madrid will be after Mbappe this summer.

I could have seen Zidane taking over from Sarri at Chelsea at the end of the season but it looks like sarri will get another year.

Oh, that Cristiano Ronaldo guy scored a hat trick to overcome a 2-0 deficit to Atletico. Spain's down to its last team in the CL. It's Barca, so it's still got a solid chance to win the thing (again). Yet this is the worst year Spain has had in the competition this decade.

I'm not thrilled to see Ronaldo advance, but I'm not sad to see Atletico get punished for playing that style trying to protect the lead. Not sure if it would qualify as parking the bus, but it was clear they weren't really interested in playing football. It was like watching NFL teams try to play with a lead against the Patriots.

Another big game and another poor performance by De Gea. The second one he obviously booted, but he really should have saved that first one. It was a well placed strike, but you’d expect any top goalkeeper to save that one.

Turn Off Ads?