Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 7/14/18 - Reds @ Cardinals

Re: 7/14/18 - Reds @ Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The Cards didn’t act swiftly with Matheny. The ballclub under performed the past few years.

Sure the Reds drug their feet on Price but the Cards took their sweet time getting rid of Matheny as well.
    4 consecutive playoff appearances, including a World Series appearance, including a 100 win season just two years ago, followed by 2nd and 3rd place seasons.

In now way does that compare to Price's tenure as Reds manager. Reds were coming off of a 90 win, post season birth season, and Price gave them four straight losing records of three of which were in the 60 win territory.

Most of my Cardinal fans friends think the Cardinals didn't give Matheny enough time to right the ship. They gave LaRussa, Torre and Herzog more time with bad clubs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    4 consecutive playoff appearances, including a World Series appearance, including a 100 win season just two years ago, followed by 2nd and 3rd place seasons.

In now way does that compare to Price's tenure as Reds manager. Reds were coming off of a 90 win, post season birth season, and Price gave them four straight losing records of three of which were in the 60 win territory.

Most of my Cardinal fans friends think the Cardinals didn't give Matheny enough time to right the ship. They gave LaRussa, Torre and Herzog more time with bad clubs.
    The Cards fans I know can’t stand Matheny.

I know Reds/Cards aren’t comparable but from my conversations the Cards didn’t act “swiftly” on Matheny, that’s all. He was loathed by my acquaintances...granted small sample size but that’s where I’m coming from.

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The Cards fans I know can’t stand Matheny.

I know Reds/Cards aren’t comparable but from my conversations the Cards didn’t act “swiftly” on Matheny, that’s all. He was loathed by my acquaintances...granted small sample size but that’s where I’m coming from.
    My Cardinal fan friends didn’t like him either. But they still were shocked that he was let go right now. The first thing they pointed out was that The Cardinal managers in their lifetime all go longer leashes than Matheny.

I think any manager that takes his team to the playoffs his first four consecutive seasons, will get a few seasons to right the ship when it falters.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My Cardinal fan friends didn’t like him either. But they still were shocked that he was let go right now. The first thing they pointed out was that The Cardinal managers in their lifetime all go longer leashes than Matheny.

I think any manager that takes his team to the playoffs his first four consecutive seasons, will get a few seasons to right the ship when it falters.
    I take no exception to any of that. But letting a manager stumble through 2.5 seasons of not meeting expectations before firing him just isn’t “swift” in my book.

Par for the course you might say, but it doesn’t warrant a “look at the Cardinals and how swift they acted” post.

Nothing towards you but I’m kinda surprised your Cards friends didn’t see this coming.

I said "swift" because we waited so long to fire Price. Matheney had a winning record even this year, and Reds fans never saw that with Price. In fact, it got worse or at least a way worse record, and yet they kept bringing him back. He cussed out the media and he came back. He lost game after game and claimed he was in "lockstep" with front office and continued losing. I only have one friend, a Cardinal season ticket owner, and she was shocked, but happy. Price's firing after a 3-15 start was a surprise only because it was two years too late.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?