Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football - 2018 (Pre-Season and Urban Meyer controversy)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Ohio State Football - 2018 (Pre-Season and Urban Meyer controversy)

2018 OSU recruiting class wrap-up.

• 247 National Rank: #2
    • # signed: 26
    • Rating Average: .9429
    • Early Signing period: 22
    • 5*: 3
    • 4*: 20
    • 3*: 3
    • Early Enrollment: 9

Strong class on the OF and Def lines. This Meyer guy looks like he might mature into a decent recruiter.

Prior year red-shirts: Martell looks like he will see the field and I would guess that Shuan Wade will get some playing time with the way OSU rotates their corners. Meyer and Davis will likley be in the two deep so they will likely get some snaps as well. Gardiner and Cage are unlikely to see significant playing time.

• Tate Martell - QB
    • Shaun Wade - CB
    • Josh Myers - OL
    • Wyatt Davis -OL
    • Elijah Gardiner - WR
    • Jerron Cage - DT

With the change in red-shirt rules OSU will be more likely to play the incoming freshmen than in years past, which means these guys will have a little less opportunity.

Go Bucks!

GL

Tracking the 2019 recruiting class at 247. - Starting strong on the offensive line, hope we can get Harrison to keep pace on the defensive line.

2018 Depth Chart
    Last edited by gonelong; 07-15-2018 at 09:36 AM.

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-16-2018),RedTeamGo! (07-15-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Football - 2018

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...brett-mcmurphy

Not good for Zach Smith. These are always tough cases, but I don't see how he keeps his job.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...brett-mcmurphy

Not good for Zach Smith. These are always tough cases, but I don't see how he keeps his job.
    Zach Smith is a tough one for OSU. He has been completely underwhelming with the receiving core over the past few seasons. Now granted some of that was Barrett's limitations, but the WR's haven't stood out in a few seasons. He is also the grandson of Earle Bruce, someone who is revered by Urban, and pretty much beloved now by most OSU fans. The last feather in the cap of Smith is that he is a very good recruiter.

I read that story this morning thinking that Smith has to go. I am sure that OSU was aware of what happened, and in this case there are two sides to the story. It appears as if this latest incident was pretty innocent, but someone in Smith's capacity has to abide by the letter of the law. I think what is best for both camps is that he resign his position. Step down so Urban doesn't have to fire him, and also step down to take care of "family" matters. If it lingers much longer I have a feeling it will get uglier.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Zach Smith is a tough one for OSU. He has been completely underwhelming with the receiving core over the past few seasons. Now granted some of that was Barrett's limitations, but the WR's haven't stood out in a few seasons. He is also the grandson of Earle Bruce, someone who is revered by Urban, and pretty much beloved now by most OSU fans. The last feather in the cap of Smith is that he is a very good recruiter.

I read that story this morning thinking that Smith has to go. I am sure that OSU was aware of what happened, and in this case there are two sides to the story. It appears as if this latest incident was pretty innocent, but someone in Smith's capacity has to abide by the letter of the law. I think what is best for both camps is that he resign his position. Step down so Urban doesn't have to fire him, and also step down to take care of "family" matters. If it lingers much longer I have a feeling it will get uglier.
    I don't think the latest incident alone would be enough. But the 2009 and 2015 incidents do sound pretty bad and it is a little troubling that at least the 2015 incident never came out. At best, he has shown an extreme lack of judgement and at worst is someone who beats women and either way I don't think he should be coaching for OSU.

I really hope that 2015 incident isn't far worse than what is in that story and Urban/OSU covered it up for some stupid reason because then this story gets really bad.

He gone.

Radio hacks in Cleveland are talking about Urban potentially being fired. What in the hell are they talking about
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Radio hacks in Cleveland are talking about Urban potentially being fired. What in the hell are they talking about
    I’m honestly concerned about it. He said today he didn’t know about the 15 incident and no report exists. If that’s not true...well let’s hope that’s true.

I’m honestly concerned about it. He said today he didn’t know about the 15 incident and no report exists. If that’s not true...well let’s hope that’s true.
    "In 2009, Zach was an intern," Meyer said. "As I do any time, and I imagine most coaches or people in leadership positions, when you receive a phone call, first thing you do is tell your boss. Let the experts do their jobs. We’re certainly not going to investigate. It came back to me that what was reported wasn’t what actually happened. So Shelley and I actually both got involved with the relationship with that family, and provided counseling, and wanted to help them moving forward."
    Meyer said he was unaware, however, of an allegation made against Zach in 2015. According to a police report obtained by Eleven Warriors, Powell Police were dispatched to Zach and Courtney’s home after Courtney reported "that a domestic incident happened last night at her home and that she has been a victim of sustained physical abuse by the suspect." Meyer, however, said he was unable to find any information about that incident after receiving a text message about it on Monday evening.
    https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...015-allegation

In hearing Urban discuss this, I am not worried about this. It may get legs but in a few weeks I think it will be old news.

Its a weird story, in 2009 something happened, although no charges were filed. I could see Urban getting involved with Zach because of his relationship with Earle (who he speaks of often and very highly.)

Something worse happens in 2015 but no one knows about it, which I find strange. You are talking about an assistant on one of the highest profile programs in the country. I just don't see how that is all controlled and kept quite for 3 years, but apparently it was.

Just an FYI, Carlos Hyde was suspended at the beginning of the 2013 (?) season for going back at a girl in an altercation at a bar. I have a hard time believing that had Urban known about Smith's 2015 incident that he would have kept it buried.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 07-24-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...015-allegation

In hearing Urban discuss this, I am not worried about this. It may get legs but in a few weeks I think it will be old news.

Its a weird story, in 2009 something happened, although no charges were filed. I could see Urban getting involved with Zach because of his relationship with Earle (who he speaks of often and very highly.)

Something worse happens in 2015 but no one knows about it, which I find strange. You are talking about an assistant on one of the highest profile programs in the country. I just don't see how that is all controlled and kept quite for 3 years, but apparently it was.

Just an FYI, Carlos Hyde was suspended at the beginning of the 2013 (?) season for going back at a girl in an altercation at a bar. I have a hard time believing that had Urban known about Smith's 2015 incident that he would have kept it buried.
    I think it is more likely that the Powell PD gave this the "Tallahassee treatment" and that Smith never said anything to Urban about it.

I also don't think that Urban would have covered it up, but the relationship to Earle makes it a little more likely than if it were basically anyone else.

12. Likes:

BillDoran (07-26-2018)

I think it is more likely that the Powell PD gave this the "Tallahassee treatment" and that Smith never said anything to Urban about it.

I also don't think that Urban would have covered it up, but the relationship to Earle makes it a little more likely than if it were basically anyone else.
    From all of the beat writers and their reports, it appears as if the 2015 event was pretty much off everybody's radar. Zach Smith's X was listed as the complainant, however, Zach's name was redacted. There were reports that Zach was arrested late one night, but evidence shows that he was in Florida (?) recruiting early that next morning, which pretty much debunks those reports.

From everything I have heard, no one knew about the 2015 reports until very recently. I agree, Smith may have gotten preferable treatment by the Powell PD. I just don't see how he is still working at OSU past 2015 if Urban knew what happened. Especially with what happened in the past. At the end of the day the only reason Smith was still employed by OSU was because he was Earle's grandson. His pay was significantly lower than every other assistant. He was a great recruiter, but #ZONE6 had been pretty lacking in the past few seasons.

I am of the opinion that at OSU, it shouldn't be too hard to find quality assistants. Especially with the track record that Urban has in placing assistant in better jobs after serving on his staff, the loss of Smith shouldn't be too drastic.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Shocked this wasn't posted here yet but apparently Brian Hartline has been named the Interim coach for the WR corps and I'm actually pretty excited to see what he can do with this group. Less than a week until camp!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Shocked this wasn't posted here yet but apparently Brian Hartline has been named the Interim coach for the WR corps and I'm actually pretty excited to see what he can do with this group. Less than a week until camp!
    I like that he’s already been on staff and hope he is good at recruiting. That WR corp needs to have a breakout so hopefully he can be a catalyst.

I was starting to plan out my next few weeks and spending time watching Buckeye football is in there!

Does Urban Meyer survive the week?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Not looking great... I'm sure there will be a statement later today, but it looks awful. I can't believe he would risk everything for the most expendable coach on his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Nope.

If the 2015 allegations were true, he should have gotten rid of that coach. If he knew about it, he should have told the truth about it. It's not really complicated.

You tell a blatant lie about this kind of issue, then you don't deserve to be leading one of the top college football programs in the country, or being the state's highest paid employee.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?