Rookie Greenville - Heatherly starting
    Rookie Billings - Marinan starting
    Az - Some young guy starting
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Games of 7/21/2018

Canelon starting in Daytona. I'm sure that means Romero is being traded.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Canelon starting in Daytona. I'm sure that means Romero is being traded.
    #hugwatch
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Siri goes deep once again, HR #8 in just about 100 ABs as a Wahoo.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Siri goes deep once again, HR #8 in just about 100 ABs as a Wahoo.
    As much as I hate to say it, I really think the Reds need to be packaging Siri in a deal for a SP real soon - before we realize he's more 2012/2016 Melvin Upton Jr. than Mike Cameron.

Tools are so hard to quit, man.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

Packy Naughton just keeps hanging up goose eggs. 4 more so far tonight. 2 earned runs in his last 31 innings of play.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-22-2018),Eric in IL (07-21-2018),Tuff Nut (07-22-2018)

Alfredo Rodriguez sighting, becoming as rare as Bigfoot ones. Playing for the AZL Reds tonight.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Packy Naughton just keeps hanging up goose eggs. 4 more so far tonight. 2 earned runs in his last 31 innings of play.
    Wait a minute........they make him pitch AND run the scoreboard?

12. Likes:

klw (07-22-2018),OC_Red (07-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CRDB40 View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, I really think the Reds need to be packaging Siri in a deal for a SP real soon - before we realize he's more 2012/2016 Melvin Upton Jr. than Mike Cameron.

Tools are so hard to quit, man.
    Tools + Performance = Sell ?

Not computing.

Look I get it. You don’t want an MLB flameout...but why do you forsee that?

Love seeing the 2BB/10K in 5.2IP from Jose Lopez. He needs to come up with games like this 50% of the time for the rest of the season. Then build on that confidence and come up with a consistently good AAA season next year.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Recap because I'm bored on a Reds depressing night...

AAA - Lopez continues to be "just a guy". ERA at 4.72. Exactly one month ago it was 4.76. Could be possible 40 man roster casualty this winter.

Appearances by Good Wandy, Goof Tanner and Good Quack. 3 inning total, 0 runs, 1 hit 0 walks.

In Pensacola, Siri homered his recent hot streak that has seen his average go from .197 to .235

In Daytona - Canelon got the start in place of Romero (?) and pitched 4 scoreless innings in his longest (tied) outing of the year. Byrne has now had 6 appearances and given up 1 run (in first appearance). ERA is now down to 1.69, and he has yet to walk a batter. Trammel notched a couple hits.

In Dayton Naughton was cruising till the 6th when the first 4 go, double, double, homer walk. The guy we got from Boston for International cap room Cedrola continues to hit for high average. Zero power however.

In Billings -Marinan got hit hard. Demarrius is doing a good job out of the bullpen.

Greenville rained out.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Tools + Performance = Sell ?

Not computing.

Look I get it. You don’t want an MLB flameout...but why do you forsee that?
    Mainly bc I don’t see the performance lasting at the major league level based on the walk/strikeout area. I think he will hit for power and steal bases, and play good defense, but I worry about the hit tool and plate discipline areas.

I didn’t mean to imply that’s not valuable, but I’d rather have him in a package to grab a SP than hope on the hit tool. Feel like as a second piece in a package, he’s the type of high upside/high risk prospect that could swing a deal.

And that’s it. Computes for me, but it’s just my opinion.
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (07-22-2018),Tuff Nut (07-22-2018)

What we know is Siri projects to play an above average cf at the next level. Hit for some power and steal some bases. Strikeout a lot. Sounds an awful lot like Drew Stubbs career in Cincy. If you want to gamble the tools improve and keep him while ending up with drew Stubbs type of player in center is that worth the “gamble.” Drew wasn’t great but solid. With an OBP focused line up Siri may fit in well and see a few more pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by statmanwvu View Post
    What we know is Siri projects to play an above average cf at the next level. Hit for some power and steal some bases. Strikeout a lot. Sounds an awful lot like Drew Stubbs career in Cincy. If you want to gamble the tools improve and keep him while ending up with drew Stubbs type of player in center is that worth the “gamble.” Drew wasn’t great but solid. With an OBP focused line up Siri may fit in well and see a few more pitches.
    Stubbs could take a walk. His minor league K:BB ratio was less than 2 while Siri’s is more than 5.

Again. We see the same things and interpret them differently in many ways. Lopez pitched very well last night. Who cares about ERA? It's the minor leagues. He's pitched extremely well at every level. He didn't begin the year in AA as he should have, but was instead thrown into the fire at another level. Continued growth is all that matters. His goal was "not to bomb out and get sent to AA, but to hold his own with mixed results for the entire year". He's done exactly that. He's done nothing to make Ownership even have a passing thought about removing him from the "40". Ain't going to happen over the next 14 months guaranteed.

With yesterday's solid performance, it's his first in five starts and 5th on the year to mix in with his othe starts, most of which were OK. He's proving this year he can compete at this level. To continue the path he's on as a Starter for the REDS as early as August of next year, most likely May-June of 2020, he needs to be putting together a string of good pitching that lasts for months. That's next year's goal. It was never this year's goal.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?