Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor League Games of 8/2/2018

Re: Minor League Games of 8/2/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Ridiculous Jose Siri stat of the day:

Siri hit his 6th triple for Pensacola today.

Those half a dozen three baggers in 143 ABs work out to 24 over a full 600 AB season.

Kiki Cuyler had 26 3B in 1925. That's the most of the modern era.
    I was noticing the volume of Triples, too, and also noticing how fangraphs lowered his rating in the top-131. I think Siri has held his own at Pensacola. Not overly concerned about his lower average as he's well-rounded in other areas. He and Friedl seem to take turns in a very competitive way producing good results for both players.

- - - Updated - - -

Zeek White doesn't belong in the Pioneer League.

The 21-year-old is 381/ .474/ .577/ 1.051 in just less than 100 ABs overall.
    Yes. Why the wait?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Here’s to hoping Cody Reed is NOT the next Matt Maloney
    Strange comparison, as Matt Maloney was an AAAA guy, soft tossing lefty will little chance of ever making any kind of dent in the majors.

He never profiled as much of a prospect.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Strange comparison, as Matt Maloney was an AAAA guy, soft tossing lefty will little chance of ever making any kind of dent in the majors.

He never profiled as much of a prospect.
    Uh, not really. Maloney was a 6’4 210lb LHP former 3rd round pick who was 22 in AA when he was traded to the Reds in a deadline deal for their best pitcher at the time. He had a 3.64 ERA and 9.3 K/9 across AA and AAA the year he was traded, and continued those numbers the next year through AAA before bombing in multiple stints in Cincinnati.

Reed is a 6’4 230lb LHP former 2nd round pick who was 22 in AA when he was traded to the Reds in a deadline deal for their best pitcher at the time. He had a 3.45 ERA and 6.2 K/9, and we know the rest of the history.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Uh, not really. Maloney was a 6’4 210lb LHP former 3rd round pick who was 22 in AA when he was traded to the Reds in a deadline deal for their best pitcher at the time. He had a 3.64 ERA and 9.3 K/9 across AA and AAA the year he was traded, and continued those numbers the next year through AAA before bombing in multiple stints in Cincinnati.

Reed is a 6’4 230lb LHP former 2nd round pick who was 22 in AA when he was traded to the Reds in a deadline deal for their best pitcher at the time. He had a 3.45 ERA and 6.2 K/9, and we know the rest of the history.
    Lohse was never the Reds best pitcher lol. But that aside you ignored the crux of what PP said, which is that Maloney was a soft tosser and never came close to sniffing a top prospects list.

I get the basic point, Reed still needs to prove it in the majors, but like PP said it’s kind of strange to go to Matt Maloney.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-03-2018)

I never said their arsenals were the same. Their situations pre-trade were quite similar, and so far they’ve proven out post-trade quite similar as well. Actually, Maloney was quite a bit better in his first two seasons in Cincinnati.

As far as prospect status(ii?) go, Reed was a 2nd round pick, Maloney was a 3rd round pick. John Sickels (who I respect the most in the industry) graded Maloney as a B- prospect in 2007, the 5th best prospect for the Phillies slightly behind JA Happ and just ahead of some guy named Michael Bourn. Sickels graded Cody Reed a B- and the 6th best prospect in the Reds system before the 2017 season. Links below.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/plat...2/18/13314/032
    https://www.minorleagueball.com/plat...pects-for-2017
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-03-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I never said their arsenals were the same. Their situations pre-trade were quite similar, and so far they’ve proven out post-trade quite similar as well. Actually, Maloney was quite a bit better in his first two seasons in Cincinnati.
    Their arsenals are pretty much polar opposites, according to Brooks Baseball.

Reed has Maloney by 5-6 mph across the board.

Maloney's a poster child AAAA starter, in that he's a soft-tossing lefty who relies on location (2.4 BB rate for his minor league career) to be league average-ish.

Reed's a harder thrower with little idea how to throw strikes (3.5 BB rate) but a much, much higher upside.

If Reed can harness what he's done over his past 10 (3.76 ERA in 64.2 IP, 64 H, and a 14: 69 BB:K ratio), he's much more of a Sean Marshall or Mike Stanton among relievers or Kent Mercker or Jim Merritt among starters.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-03-2018)

As far as prospect status(ii?) go, Reed was a 2nd round pick, Maloney was a 3rd round pick. John Sickels (who I respect the most in the industry) graded Maloney as a B- prospect in 2007, the 5th best prospect for the Phillies slightly behind JA Happ and just ahead of some guy named Michael Bourn. Sickels graded Cody Reed a B- and the 6th best prospect in the Reds system before the 2017 season. Links below.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/plat...2/18/13314/032
    https://www.minorleagueball.com/plat...pects-for-2017
    Why do you use Sickels grade of Maloney after his first professional season, but use Reed's grade after his 4th season? I mean Sickels gave Reed a B+ in 2016.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-03-2018)

lol we should probably just drop it, Beni loves to dig in his heels. You can't even get him to admit Senzel was clearly the right pick over Blake Rutherford.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    lol we should probably just drop it, Beni loves to dig in his heels. You can't even get him to admit Senzel was clearly the right pick over Blake Rutherford.
    Hey I like Beni! And his initial remark about not wanting Reed to be Maloney didn't need to be challenged by Puffy. But to bend and stretch to compare the two guys...I don't get it. It's simple like you said...the basic point is Reed needs to prove it in the majors, like Maloney was unable to do.

15. Likes:

Benihana (08-03-2018),Edd Roush (08-03-2018),Tom Servo (08-03-2018)

Kiki Cuyler had 26 3B in 1925. That's the most of the modern era.
    Just a nit but Chief Wilson had 36 in 1912
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Their arsenals are pretty much polar opposites, according to Brooks Baseball.

Reed has Maloney by 5-6 mph across the board.

Maloney's a poster child AAAA starter, in that he's a soft-tossing lefty who relies on location (2.4 BB rate for his minor league career) to be league average-ish.

Reed's a harder thrower with little idea how to throw strikes (3.5 BB rate) but a much, much higher upside.

If Reed can harness what he's done over his past 10 (3.76 ERA in 64.2 IP, 64 H, and a 14: 69 BB:K ratio), he's much more of a Sean Marshall or Mike Stanton among relievers or Kent Mercker or Jim Merritt among starters.
    I hope he's much more of Jim Merritt than the other guys.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (08-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Just a nit but Chief Wilson had 36 in 1912
    I always thought the modern era began in 1920?

I always thought the modern era began in 1920?
    1900/1920 depends on your definition. The ball was changed to a livelier core in 1911 but players didn't really take advantage right away, although HRs spiked a bit the 1st year. 1920 is sometimes picked bc that was when Ruth and Hornsby and a couple others began banging HRs and soon changed the game. Personally I'd consider 1910 a good demarcation....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    1900/1920 depends on your definition. The ball was changed to a livelier core in 1911 but players didn't really take advantage right away, although HRs spiked a bit the 1st year. 1920 is sometimes picked bc that was when Ruth and Hornsby and a couple others began banging HRs and soon changed the game. Personally I'd consider 1910 a good demarcation....
    Didn't 1920 also outlaw the spitball? And weren't there other changes to the ball, like winding it tighter?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?