Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Courtney Hawkins signed, assigned to Daytona

Courtney Hawkins signed, assigned to Daytona

Picked up from Indy ball

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Courtney Hawkins

Not surprised, you can find a lot of old quotes from now Reds exec Buddy Bell from when he was with the White Sox where he was high on Hawkins.

In fact, here we go: Buddy helped him land with the indy team he was with.

“Getting released early in the season, rosters were full,” he said. “I feel like it’s a bad time to be released, having rosters full like that in the minor leagues.”

As soon as it became clear there wasn’t an opportunity for him to play for another major league organization, he started exploring other options.

Former major leaguer Buddy Bell, who once served as the White Sox’s vice president and assistant general manager, reached out to Incaviglia to recommend Hawkins for the Skeeters. Bell and Incaviglia were teammates with the Texas Rangers in 1989.

“Buddy spoke very highly of him,” Incaviglia said. “Said he’s a great kid. He thought that with him coming here, I could help him.”
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...s-13020882.php
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

Gallen5862 (08-11-2018),lollipopcurve (08-11-2018),mace (08-10-2018)

Re: Courtney Hawkins signed, assigned to Daytona

I liked Hawkins in the draft, he just never quite panned out. Good low risk pickup.

I wonder if he repeated his draft day backflip when he found out the Reds wanted to sign him?
    Go BLUE!!!

.209 - .265 - .355 in 1100+ career AA plate appearances

he'll qualify as a minor league free agent at years end

I don't put much stock in those milb numbers...he was a walking injury , torn obliques, strains and sprains, hyperthyroid disease. The talent is there I just have no faith that he'll stay healthy enough to rebound. He's like Bailey or Mes except he was sidelined before he made it.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    .209 - .265 - .355 in 1100+ career AA plate appearances

he'll qualify as a minor league free agent at years end
    I'd be very surprised if HE opted to leave Reds this off-season.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Daytona, huh? He'll be in the same lineup as Isabel. Yikes.

I find it interesting that the Reds have seemed to target power in several of their minor-league acquisitions the last couple of years. Isabel, Clementina, Peterson, Hawkins. And in the draft, Spillane, Thomas, Stallings, and Bellinger. Seems like a normal thing to do, but I don't know that it was such an emphasis in previous years.

10. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (08-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'd be very surprised if HE opted to leave Reds this off-season.
    He's a 6 year minor league free agent. The only way he comes back is if the Reds offer him a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    He's a 6 year minor league free agent. The only way he comes back is if the Reds offer him a new contract.
    Not the point.

If the Reds offer to bring him back (and unless he fails miserably they should), I doubt seriously he would opt for free agency. He just escaped Independent Ball. I assume he would like some organizational security at this point.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Not the point.

If the Reds offer to bring him back (and unless he fails miserably they should), I doubt seriously he would opt for free agency. He just escaped Independent Ball. I assume he would like some organizational security at this point.

Truth. Indy ball is not an ideal situation

Turn Off Ads?