Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farm W-L records

Farm W-L records

For those who believe minor league systems W-L record is somewhat predictive of how the ML team will do, here 's some disheartening news:

Top 5 winning systems
    Tampa .593
    LAD. .588
    Hou . .571
    Phil . .553
    StL. .543

And now the worse 3
    SF . .429
    Ch C. .438
    Cincy. .440

You draw your own conclusions but the only outlier is the Cubs and their system is depleted by promotions. Winning counts...development must be first but part of that is inculcating a win always mentality. Once again, despite a fairly highly rated farm, the Reds are at the bottom when it comes to winning.

I've heard it said winning doesn't matter that much in the minors but I disagree who!eheartedly.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Likes:

BillDoran (08-27-2018),cumberlandreds (08-27-2018),lollipopcurve (08-27-2018),NC Reds (08-28-2018),OGB (08-28-2018),Rojo Rijo (08-28-2018),texasdave (08-27-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Farm W-L records

I think it does matter most of the time. At the very least if they win in the minors they get that mindset of wanting to win and not just playing for themselves. IMO its very damning for an organization to have really bad organizational records. Just shows things are not going well down on the farm which means things aren't going to be getting better in big leagues.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Maybe this is part of the reason the farm director was re-assigned.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I'd be curious to see those numbers expanded over 3-5 years. I suspect it would deepen whatever conclusions are to be drawn from this. The Reds system has been chronically struggling during the rebuild.

Wonder if this relates in part to Reds pushing prospects up the chain. Reds obviously are anxious to get good prospects to the big leagues.

For example, I recall Daytona had a knock-out team earlier this season. Several key guys were pushed up to Pensacola and Daytona’s record is now only two games over .500.

I don’t know if the Reds’ promotion approach is unusual, but it could result in weaker records as good prospects move into higher levels and must adjust, possible struggle for awhile, etc.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.

The AZL team going 13-42 certainly put a big drag on the winning percentage

9. Likes:

OGB (08-28-2018)

Meh. Not that I think winning isn't important, but I think the value of it is overblown a bit. It says more about the overall depth of a system than its top end, and the top end is really what's most important about a farm system in the end. The value of guys like Senzel, Trammell, Greene, Santillan and India aren't suppressed because the AZL Reds suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Meh. Not that I think winning isn't important, but I think the value of it is overblown a bit. It says more about the overall depth of a system than its top end, and the top end is really what's most important about a farm system in the end. The value of guys like Senzel, Trammell, Greene, Santillan and India aren't suppressed because the AZL Reds suck.
    I agreed with this a month ago but not as much today. After watching a bunch of players that weren't "top end" come from a hugely winning environment in the Cardinals AAA Memphis Redbirds team and perform in the big leagues to a level that doesn't seem to come out of the Reds system near enough, I can't say I agree as much now.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

12. Likes:

RedlegJake (08-28-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The bottom 5-8 players on each team alter the record a lot more than the top 5-8 players do. Go look at the Greeneville Reds roster. It's loaded with actual dudes. Real prospects. They've got a losing record because the bottom of that roster has been very, very bad. That doesn't mean the team has no prospects. It doesn't mean that those guys aren't going to be good in the future. That Michael Bono walked 13 guys and had 10 wild pitches in 4.1 innings doesn't tell us ANYTHING about how Josiah Gray and Miguel Hernandez are going to perform for the Reds in 2026. That Ricky Karcher has an ERA over 8.00 doesn't tell us anything about Rylan Thomas or Jonathan Willems or Mike Siani.

Would you like to have winning all over the place? Sure. But the reality is that any given farm team has 2-3 future big leaguers on it that will be more than a cup-of-coffee guy. Those are the guys that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The AZL team going 13-42 certainly put a big drag on the winning percentage
    While I agree with Redlegs Jake's premise, I think there is some legit reasoning behind this failure that isn't entirely the Reds fault.
    The DSL and AZL teams are a combined 33 games under .500.
    These rosters are made up almost entirely of international signings.
    Until the shortcomings of this current system are addressed, teams like the Dodgers and Yankees will continue to get all the best international talent.
    There needs to be some sort of international draft system.

That and the lack of a salary cap are the two biggest hindrances to more competitive play in baseball.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

How do the Dodgers and Yankees have an advantage in international amateur signings? Isn't there a cap on spending?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    How do the Dodgers and Yankees have an advantage in international amateur signings? Isn't there a cap on spending?
    There has been the last two years. But that means any international guy that's 19 or older was brought in under old rules which gave big advantages to those willing to spend. Guys signed in 2014, for example, are 20 years old today. That's a Low-A prospect.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There has been the last two years. But that means any international guy that's 19 or older was brought in under old rules which gave big advantages to those willing to spend. Guys signed in 2014, for example, are 20 years old today. That's a Low-A prospect.
    How does the posting system in Japan play into this? Don't teams have to put up money just to negotiate?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The bottom 5-8 players on each team alter the record a lot more than the top 5-8 players do. Go look at the Greeneville Reds roster. It's loaded with actual dudes. Real prospects. They've got a losing record because the bottom of that roster has been very, very bad. That doesn't mean the team has no prospects. It doesn't mean that those guys aren't going to be good in the future. That Michael Bono walked 13 guys and had 10 wild pitches in 4.1 innings doesn't tell us ANYTHING about how Josiah Gray and Miguel Hernandez are going to perform for the Reds in 2026. That Ricky Karcher has an ERA over 8.00 doesn't tell us anything about Rylan Thomas or Jonathan Willems or Mike Siani.

Would you like to have winning all over the place? Sure. But the reality is that any given farm team has 2-3 future big leaguers on it that will be more than a cup-of-coffee guy. Those are the guys that matter.
    Adding Greeneville spread the talent out more. Guys in AZ, Billing, Greenville and Dayton are spread over 4 teams when it would have been 3 last year. The bottom of all of those rosters has to be worse as a result and I think the W-L record suffered as a result, The Reds basically added an expansion team effect to their own organization this year. It provides more opportunity, which is good, but a lot of that opportunity is being given to guys who would be stuck in extended Spring Training in prior seasons. Seems the teams should be less likely to win. .

I'm more concerned that guys seem like promising guys in A and A+ and fall flat in AA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

mace (08-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Adding Greeneville spread the talent out more. Guys in AZ, Billing, Greenville and Dayton are spread over 4 teams when it would have been 3 last year. The bottom of all of those rosters has to be worse as a result and I think the W-L record suffered as a result, The Reds basically added an expansion team effect to their own organization this year. It provides more opportunity, which is good, but a lot of that opportunity is being given to guys who would be stuck in extended Spring Training in prior seasons. Seems the teams should be less likely to win. .

I'm more concerned that guys seem like promising guys in A and A+ and fall flat in AA.
    I agree. Many of the AZL players would not have been brought to the states and some of the rookie league players would have been in the AZL. A winning culture is nice, but they certainly can get a pass this year. I would expect the transition to benefit A and A+ next year.

Turn Off Ads?