Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (2018 edition)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (2018 edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why did they hire Pete Carroll? What's there to second guess? He was a successful hire
    My point was, what was so impressive with his resume at the time?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    My point was, what was so impressive with his resume at the time?
    The first three turned them down.

Dennis Erickson, Mike Belotti, and Mike Riley.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-04-2018)

Are you serious? Michigan might go out of the family but that is way outside of it.
    UM might wake up and realize “Michigan man” is not the answer and look towards the hottest young-ish name out there.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    UM might wake up and realize “Michigan man” is not the answer and look towards the hottest young-ish name out there.
    You might be right......that would intensify the rivalry!!!!!!!!!!!

They very well might but Stoops is going to need a lot more on his resume than a 9-3 season to become that

I think Ryan Day could be a good coach one day, but he is largely unproven outside of three games in the absence of Urban Meyer. Georgia being the outlier hiring Kirby Smart (a UGA alum), coordinators usually don’t get hired for a major coaching position.

Day would likely be the type of coach Kentucky pursued if they lost Stoops to Michigan, and then would likely leave for a blue blood job.

They very well might but Stoops is going to need a lot more on his resume than a 9-3 season to become that
    I think you are underselling Stoops. Considering what he inherited from Joker Phillips, turning Kentucky into a team in the thick of SEC Championship discussion is likely going to catch some interest.

Considering the job upheaval last year, I don’t know what jobs could possibly come open though.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think Ryan Day could be a good coach one day, but he is largely unproven outside of three games in the absence of Urban Meyer. Georgia being the outlier hiring Kirby Smart (a UGA alum), coordinators usually don’t get hired for a major coaching position.

Day would likely be the type of coach Kentucky pursued if they lost Stoops to Michigan, and then would likely leave for a blue blood job.

I think you are underselling Stoops. Considering what he inherited from Joker Phillips, turning Kentucky into a team in the thick of SEC Championship discussion is likely going to catch some interest.

Considering the job upheaval last year, I don’t know what jobs could possibly come open though.
    It remains to be seen if they end up in the thick of the SEC East race but even if they are, does one year of that earn him a job at Mich? I don't think so

It remains to be seen if they end up in the thick of the SEC East race but even if they are, does one year of that earn him a job at Mich? I don't think so
    More likely than Ryan Day....

13. Likes:

What earned Pruitt a job at UT?

That anybody and everybody they pursued turned them down and ultimately led to the AD being replaced when the hire made caused the fanbase and administration to revolt.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-05-2018)

I don't think there is even a small chance Day takes the UK job. It has been rumored that he turned down the Miss St. job last season. I don't think he will take a step down and take the UK job. I would argue that UK Football may be one of the most challenging jobs in teh country. It is in the SEC, but its recruiting area is rather small and it faces a lot of blue blood competition for everyone coming out of UK. Its a lot like IU in that they just have such a difficult task just to become bowl eligible each and every season, that its a huge risk taking that job.

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-05-2018)

He has a long resume of moving up the ranks but in particular he was an outstanding coordinator at the #1 program in the country. He also has been on other very successful coaching staffs. I only wish Tennessee was a blue blood

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think there is even a small chance Day takes the UK job. It has been rumored that he turned down the Miss St. job last season. I don't think he will take a step down and take the UK job. I would argue that UK Football may be one of the most challenging jobs in teh country. It is in the SEC, but its recruiting area is rather small and it faces a lot of blue blood competition for everyone coming out of UK. Its a lot like IU in that they just have such a difficult task just to become bowl eligible each and every season, that its a huge risk taking that job.
    I wasn’t saying UK per se, but that it’s unlikely that Michigan, USC, or any other major potential college opening would pursue Day. If they did, it would only be because everyone else turned them down.

As for UK recruiting, Stoops and Vince Marrow have made inroads into Ohio and recently into Michigan. They aren’t going to take someone Ohio State wants, but they have been beating other teams for recruits.

One thing is for sure, if/when Stoops does leave Kentucky, the program is in a lot better shape now than what he inherited. I’d imagine Kentucky would have the attention of any young coordinator or coach outside of the power 5 if the job came open.

22. Likes:

I was talking about Ryan Day
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I wasn’t saying UK per se, but that it’s unlikely that Michigan, USC, or any other major potential college opening would pursue Day. If they did, it would only be because everyone else turned them down.

As for UK recruiting, Stoops and Vince Marrow have made inroads into Ohio and recently into Michigan. They aren’t going to take someone Ohio State wants, but they have been beating other teams for recruits.

One thing is for sure, if/when Stoops does leave Kentucky, the program is in a lot better shape now than what he inherited. I’d imagine Kentucky would have the attention of any young coordinator or coach outside of the power 5 if the job came open.
    You can build a quality football team with Ohio and Michigan kids that don't go to OSU, UM, MSU. But that kinda is the problem as well for UK, they need those top tier kids in order to compete in their division. They are competing with UL, UC, IU, Purdue, etc. to get those types of players.

I don't argue that UK is in much better shape now than it has been in the past. Its just such a difficult job and one IMO you are better served as a top tier coordinator than as head coach.

I can see Day going to USC but I just don't know about Michigan. Would he pull a Bo and coach the enemy?

Turn Off Ads?