Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I sold my electric car .....and bought another!!

Re: I sold my electric car .....and bought another!!

I didn't even realize they were still making it. I thought they'd transitioned entirely to the Bolt.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I didn't even realize they were still making it. I thought they'd transitioned entirely to the Bolt.
    No, although the current generation stepped away from the original Volt design concept where the electric motor made the car go while the gas motor charged the battery once it drained. The current generation is a plug-in hybrid.

Has GM begun to offer the Bolt nationwide yet?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The Bolt is nationwide. The Bolt was a little too small for me, The tastes of the US motoring world are moving away from sedans. Which is why Ford is shutting down all car production except the Mustang, in favor of SUV's and trucks. And the Chevy announcement goes along way towards them doing the same.

Chevy supposedly has a slew of electric and hybrid SUV's in the plans, although none has been shown yet. If I was them, I'd have an Equinox style vehicle that has 2 variants. A Voltlike hybrid, that gets 50 miles or so electric before the gas engine starts, and a pure electric with 250 miles or so of range.

I don't believe either generation of the Volt charged the battery, there are 2 cars which do that as far as I know. The REX (Range Extender) version of the BMW I3, and the Nissan E-Note which is not sold in the US. I believe that would be a better/simpler way to go than the motor running the car.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-27-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Was super disappointed to read about this.

My wife purchased a newer-used Volt about a year ago, and we both absolutely love the car. It’s an incredible machine — she gets ~45 miles of entirely electric driving, which is more than enough to get her to-from work and to errands / gym trips after work as well. During the year she has owned the car (and not counting the one long trip she took the car on to Florida for work), she has purchased exactly 3 tanks of gas, and she’s only about 50% through that third fill up. She also has yet to need an oil change for the ICE engine in the car due to low use of that motor.

It sucks that GM couldn’t figure out how to market this car, because I can’t imagine ever buying a car that didn’t include this electric motor capacity going forward. It’s so incredibly convenient for daily commuting and has saved us a decent bit of coin in gas + oil changes.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

My wife purchased a newer-used Volt about a year ago, and we both absolutely love the car. It’s an incredible machine — she gets ~45 miles of entirely electric driving, which is more than enough to get her to-from work and to errands / gym trips after work as well. During the year she has owned the car (and not counting the one long trip she took the car on to Florida for work), she has purchased exactly 3 tanks of gas, and she’s only about 50% through that third fill up. She also has yet to need an oil change for the ICE engine in the car due to low use of that motor.

It sucks that GM couldn’t figure out how to market this car, because I can’t imagine ever buying a car that didn’t include this electric motor capacity going forward. It’s so incredibly convenient for daily commuting and has saved us a decent bit of coin in gas + oil changes.
    The conspiracy theorist in me notices that the Fed Tax Credit will soon expire for GM. But I agree about the value of a Plug in Hybrid. As a 2 car family, the perfect end game would be a plug in hybrid that got 50-75 miles of range, and a pure electric that got 250-300.

How did charging the car affect your electric bills? I assume it's cheaper than buying gas (and certainly more convenient than having to go to the gas station), but how much cheaper?

She also has yet to need an oil change for the ICE engine in the car due to low use of that motor.
    Fwiw, there are other reasons to change oil besides miles driven. Temperature changes can cause condensation in the engine, and it is even worse if the oil isn't being churned around regularly. Take a look at the manual and make sure they don't have a minimum time interval as well as miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How did charging the car affect your electric bills? I assume it's cheaper than buying gas (and certainly more convenient than having to go to the gas station), but how much cheaper?
    I read the specs, and it claims that it uses 31 kwh per 100 miles. Depending on where someone is from, this can be between $2 and $5. Of course, this is less for the end user if they can take advantage of free charging ports you can see around.

According to the Department of Energy, charging an electric car costs about half as much as fueling a gasoline-powered car. The U.S. average per gallon of gasoline is $2.50 while it would cost $1.10 per eGallon to charge an electric car, according to a tool developed by the Department of Energy which compares the cost of driving with electricity by state.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/constan.../#29161c5f10b6

11. Likes:

Boston Red (11-28-2018)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Fwiw, there are other reasons to change oil besides miles driven. Temperature changes can cause condensation in the engine, and it is even worse if the oil isn't being churned around regularly. Take a look at the manual and make sure they don't have a minimum time interval as well as miles.
    It's recommended to change the oil yearly, so we'll be due for a change here in the next few weeks.

The engine also has a system to prevent the gas from getting "stale" in the tank as well.

Like I said, this car is mind-bogglingly intelligent in the way it's designed.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

It's recommended to change the oil yearly, so we'll be due for a change here in the next few weeks.

The engine also has a system to prevent the gas from getting "stale" in the tank as well.

Like I said, this car is mind-bogglingly intelligent in the way it's designed.
    That’s cool, just making sure. Russ can develop in an engine when it is just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    That’s cool, just making sure. Russ can develop in an engine when it is just sitting there.
    "Russ....Is that you? Are you in there Russ?"

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    "Russ....Is that you? Are you in there Russ?"
    I wish Steve Jobs was still around so I could tell him how much his voice to text sucks. ��

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

So, I'm looking to upgrade. I've owned one car my entire life - a 98 Honda Civic EX (had it since HS). I've been thinking about a 2017 Volkswagen e-Golf. Actually fairly affordable (although it is towards the max I'm willing to pay), with a range of 125 miles. Plus, it keeps everything that makes the regular Golf a great car, and doesn't try to look weird on purpose like some of these other EV's. I'm generally a pretty frugal guy, though, and am tempted to just buy something between 10-20k. I'm already driving a 20+ year old car - I'm not looking to impress anyone. The new Hyndai Kona's are like 20k new, and I recently found out they have an electric version that has a ridiculous 258 mile range...but it's $37k. I'd like to upgrade from my Civic sooner rather than later, but I'm having a hard time settling on one particular car. Any suggestions?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?