Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS Vue

Re: PS Vue

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I've watched sports through Sling and PS Vue for the last two years. I've never once experienced what you are describing.
    Maybe it's my Blu Ray. Or maybe it's the large screen that blows things up so large but I've experienced exactly what that article described. I've noticed it at friend's houses too. No question the router that your cable co gives you is crap. I definitely did away with that and that helped some. I am picky about my picture

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know how big yours is but I have a 65" and mlb-tv looks great on my Roku (TV)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

TRF (10-08-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Maybe it's my Blu Ray. Or maybe it's the large screen that blows things up so large but I've experienced exactly what that article described. I've noticed it at friend's houses too. No question the router that your cable co gives you is crap. I definitely did away with that and that helped some. I am picky about my picture
    Were you the guy who was getting like 5mbps then got the nighthawk and was getting 100+?

While I suppose it could be a signal issue, if you've upgraded your wireless router I would suspect that the blu-ray player is probably the weakest link. I would occasionally run into buffering and signal issues when I accessed Netflix via my blu-ray player and have never experienced those kind of issues with my roku 3, so I suspect that may be true with mlb.tv as well.

As to the OP's question, I was a PS Vue subscriber for almost two years and even though I'm no longer a subscriber I think it's an excellent service and would highly suggest taking advantage of the 7-day trial to see if it's a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Were you the guy who was getting like 5mbps then got the nighthawk and was getting 100+?
    Nope. Never heard of a nighthawk. I get wired about 200mbps and WiFi never dips below 70.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    While I suppose it could be a signal issue, if you've upgraded your wireless router I would suspect that the blu-ray player is probably the weakest link. I would occasionally run into buffering and signal issues when I accessed Netflix via my blu-ray player and have never experienced those kind of issues with my roku 3, so I suspect that may be true with mlb.tv as well.

As to the OP's question, I was a PS Vue subscriber for almost two years and even though I'm no longer a subscriber I think it's an excellent service and would highly suggest taking advantage of the 7-day trial to see if it's a good fit.
    I think MLB.tv only does 60fps on certain devices and Sony Blu Ray ain't one of them

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Nope. Never heard of a nighthawk. I get wired about 200mbps and WiFi never dips below 70.
    I was lazy. Someone posted in another thread the other day that they got a new wifi router and saw those kinds of differences.

Still, even at 30 FPS, you shouldn't see stuttering.

You need a minimum of 10MB down to stream UHD. I have a 70 inch Sony, and my internet package is 200MB down. I just realized I have been recycling old cat 5 cables for years and have purchased all new cat 6 cables to replace them. Hopefully that ups my connection speeds. My wired connection from my Knighthawk 1900AC according to Netflix is 93MB down, but my wireless connection is about 130 down. I think the new cables will help there.

I really wanted to get Vue because of the DVR capabilities. But at the time the lack of a guide was a serious issue for me. Directv Now has an outstanding guide, but no ability to pause/rewind live tv. I'm hoping that arrives soon.

So, now I am double paying. I have rooms with no cable run to them that have TV's, but the wife insists on being able to pause live tv without losing anything.

BTW, for those of you that have a regular Amazon Prime account, I recommend upgrading and getting Prime Video. It's worth the extra 2 bucks a month or whatever it is. Amazon has some interesting original programming.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I've used it for going 2 years now. So here is my review and answers to some of your questions.

Pros:
    Can stream on up to 4 devices. I have 4 roku streaming sticks plugged into 3 tv's and a projector. I've had 3 running sporting events in the same room before and they all worked great.
    Channels - they have most every channel I could want, with various add on packages that have even more. I can get pretty much any college football game that exists along with the nearly every other normal cable channel for 59.99 a month.
    Guide - they used to have a lack of or unworkable guide, but now you can sift through like a normal cable service. It can be a little slow to respond at times.

Cons:
    Delay - when watching the Reds I will usually hear the fireworks a solid 15 seconds before the TV shows the home run, it is noticeably behind over the air channels or the usual cable feeds.
    Loading - I think i've learned that if it has to buffer while watching live tv, it just delays and doesn't skip ahead. I've noticed I am a solid 60 seconds slow on sporting events at time.

The DVR works well enough, you have to watch shows within 30 days though. As far as pausing a rewinding live TV, that aspect doesn't work very well.

Overall I highly recommend PS Vue.
    Ok, I am almost done with my free trial, and think I am going to give it a go. We hardly every watch live TV anymore other than sports, which I can get pretty much everything I want for $49.99.

I have noticed a few glitches here and there, nothing major while watching live sports. No big deal, if things are bad, I can get an antenna and watch most of the local stations.

One thing that I am not too fond of is using it with the Roku TV remote. I ordered a PS4 Media remote that I think was defective (or user error) and have exchanged it for another one. I can get used to the current guide, but I like the idea of being able to jump in between channels just by hitting last, and also like the idea of getting to the guide by just hitting one button. Hopefully this remote will work, if not I guess its something I can get used to.

I did hard wire my main TV to the router. I figured the cat 5 connection would be better than the wireless. I also probably will drop a wire into the basement prior to finishing it for the faster connection. Its not a "huge" deal, but if available hard wiring is normally better.

As for the picture for sports, I really didn't notice much of a difference. The thing I did notice was when I first turned on baseball it was a little "sloppy" but that soon worked itself out.

I don't know if anyone else is having this same problem as I am, but this past weekend I tried to watch the OSU vs MSU game on Fox. When I tried to select the channel it wouldn't let me access Fox, it promoted FS2 and a basketball game that was on that channel. Then yesterday I tried to watch ESPN and the CFP game and it wouldn't allow me to access the game, it prompted me with some SEC Network channel. I had to download the ESPN app and watch it on that using my PS Vue login info. When I switched channels, it said that I was "partially allowed access" or something to that extent. It was a headache that I really didn't want.

Is anyone else having these problems or does anyone else have suggestions?

It's made by Netgear.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else is having this same problem as I am, but this past weekend I tried to watch the OSU vs MSU game on Fox. When I tried to select the channel it wouldn't let me access Fox, it promoted FS2 and a basketball game that was on that channel. Then yesterday I tried to watch ESPN and the CFP game and it wouldn't allow me to access the game, it prompted me with some SEC Network channel. I had to download the ESPN app and watch it on that using my PS Vue login info. When I switched channels, it said that I was "partially allowed access" or something to that extent. It was a headache that I really didn't want.

Every once in a while I'll have to switch from the Vue app to either the ESPN or Fox Sports Go app because something isn't showing. It's rare, and I can't figure out what the correlation is, but it hasn't been much of an issue.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Yes. It's a bug with the latest version of PS Vue running on Roku platforms. I didn't see the same issue on my PS4. It's annoying, but I've read you can get around it by searching directly for the channel and accessing the content that way until the issue is fixed.

Turn Off Ads?