Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marijuana and the NFL

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Marijuana and the NFL

This is just my opinion, but I feel that alcohol is much worse than marijuana as being a gateway drug, and just worse as a whole for society. As a guy that struggled with alcohol and drugs when I was younger, alcohol was my gateway. I can't remember a time that weed made me want to do other drugs, it was while I was drinking that I had no control. Luckily I no longer have those struggles. Having a kid and manning up will help straighten a guy out!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-07-2018),Bob Sheed (10-08-2018),GAC (10-12-2018),RedTeamGo! (10-08-2018),Revering4Blue (10-08-2018),WrongVerb (10-07-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It's not just your opinion.

How many marijuana overdoses have there been in the history of mankind?

Zero.

And the fact that many here are pontificating about addiction without specifying the difference between physical and psychological addiction, speaks volumes about their lack of understanding.

Alcohol, nicotine, even caffeine... all of these are far more physically addictive than marijuana, on all fronts. It's debatable whether or not marijuana is even physically addictive at all.

I will say this... those of you here that misunderstand, and continue to spread misinformation about marijuana...you are making the big pharmaceutical companies VERY happy. Same with textile and oil companies. They LOVE your ignorance here.

I don't smoke pot, by the way. I don't do anything shady behind closed doors either, yet I am still an advocate for privacy and net neutrality. Imagine that.

I just can't believe that we are in 2018 and there are still people spouting this "marijuana is a gateway drug" nonsense with such conviction. Seriously...ranks right up there with the truthers and anti-vaxxors. Facts be darned they will just keep doubling down. Truly baffling.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-08-2018),WrongVerb (10-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's not just your opinion.

How many marijuana overdoses have there been in the history of mankind?

Zero.

And the fact that many here are pontificating about addiction without specifying the difference between physical and psychological addiction, speaks volumes about their lack of understanding.

Alcohol, nicotine, even caffeine... all of these are far more physically addictive than marijuana, on all fronts. It's debatable whether or not marijuana is even physically addictive at all.

I will say this... those of you here that misunderstand, and continue to spread misinformation about marijuana...you are making the big pharmaceutical companies VERY happy. Same with textile and oil companies. They LOVE your ignorance here.

I don't smoke pot, by the way. I don't do anything shady behind closed doors either, yet I am still an advocate for privacy and net neutrality. Imagine that.

I just can't believe that we are in 2018 and there are still people spouting this "marijuana is a gateway drug" nonsense with such conviction. Seriously...ranks right up there with the truthers and anti-vaxxors. Facts be darned they will just keep doubling down. Truly baffling.
    I don’t even engage with “pot is a gateway drug” folks anymore. Just have to wait for them to die out. That nonsense will mostly die out with the baby boomer generation.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

As someone who works in the Criminal Justice field, I will say in my experience and the experience of many who I work with that deal with drug users on a daily basis, I haven't seen anything that bears out the theory that marijuana is a gateway drug to other drugs. On the other hand, I would say that there are quite a few drugs that are legal with a prescription that are most certainly gateway drugs that lead people into harder street drugs.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I will say that there are definitely tests to determine whether someone has active THC (the stuff that gets you high) in their system vs. whether someone has marijuana metabolites, which are the substances that can stay in your system for up to 45 days.

Back to the original topic, I'm not so concerned about NFL players using marijuana as much as I am about the effects of playing football has on players' brains. In fact, I would be more concerned about the long term effects that the legal drugs that players get prescribed for pain management than I would about marijuana.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-10-2018),Bob Sheed (10-10-2018),Chip R (10-10-2018),dubc47834 (10-10-2018),RedTeamGo! (10-13-2018),Revering4Blue (10-11-2018),WrongVerb (10-10-2018)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    As someone who works in the Criminal Justice field, I will say in my experience and the experience of many who I work with that deal with drug users on a daily basis, I haven't seen anything that bears out the theory that marijuana is a gateway drug to other drugs. On the other hand, I would say that there are quite a few drugs that are legal with a prescription that are most certainly gateway drugs that lead people into harder street drugs.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I will say that there are definitely tests to determine whether someone has active THC (the stuff that gets you high) in their system vs. whether someone has marijuana metabolites, which are the substances that can stay in your system for up to 45 days.

Back to the original topic, I'm not so concerned about NFL players using marijuana as much as I am about the effects of playing football has on players' brains. In fact, I would be more concerned about the long term effects that the legal drugs that players get prescribed for pain management than I would about marijuana.
    Great post.......I will smoke a "fatty" to it!!!!!!!!

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I feel that alcohol is much worse than marijuana as being a gateway drug, and just worse as a whole for society. As a guy that struggled with alcohol and drugs when I was younger, alcohol was my gateway. I can't remember a time that weed made me want to do other drugs, it was while I was drinking that I had no control. Luckily I no longer have those struggles. Having a kid and manning up will help straighten a guy out!!!
    I always like hearing a positive testimony of a survivor, someone who owned up and beat it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-12-2018),Revering4Blue (10-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I always like hearing a positive testimony of a survivor, someone who owned up and beat it.
    Thank you!

Luckily my issues never impacted my career. If it had, it would not have turned out like it has!!!

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-12-2018),Revering4Blue (10-14-2018),Yachtzee (10-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Thank you!

Luckily my issues never impacted my career. If it had, it would not have turned out like it has!!!
    Mine never impacted my career, but it almost impacted my marriage in the first 5 years ((divorce). I didn't want to give up my marijuana and not hanging out with my buddies (drinking). I was still young, immature. I had to sit myself down and have a good heart-to-heart, asking the question "What is the most important thing in my life? I mean, why did I get married? Do I love my wife?"

I made the right choice. I've been married to my wife 38 years, and raised three good kids to adulthood. Proud of all my children. And now my wife and I are about to enter the next phase of our life, which is retirement. We both worked hard for this, didn't know if it would ever get here (LOL). But the more I've dwelt on it these last couple of months, and as that "day" draws near, I'm excited about the quality time, the closeness, I'm going to be able to spend with my wife, and all the things we look forward to doing together. I've told her "This is OUR time".

The bottom-line is .... life is all about making choices good or bad. And IMO, it's only those that really step back and take a good hard look at the ramifications of the choices they made, hate it, and decide to do something about, that survive and have a quality of life. We all have our "demons" (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-13-2018),dubc47834 (10-13-2018),Revering4Blue (10-14-2018),WrongVerb (10-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Mine never impacted my career, but it almost impacted my marriage in the first 5 years ((divorce). I didn't want to give up my marijuana and not hanging out with my buddies (drinking). I was still young, immature. I had to sit myself down and have a good heart-to-heart, asking the question "What is the most important thing in my life? I mean, why did I get married? Do I love my wife?"

I made the right choice. I've been married to my wife 38 years, and raised three good kids to adulthood. Proud of all my children. And now my wife and I are about to enter the next phase of our life, which is retirement. We both worked hard for this, didn't know if it would ever get here (LOL). But the more I've dwelt on it these last couple of months, and as that "day" draws near, I'm excited about the quality time, the closeness, I'm going to be able to spend with my wife, and all the things we look forward to doing together. I've told her "This is OUR time".

The bottom-line is .... life is all about making choices good or bad. And IMO, it's only those that really step back and take a good hard look at the ramifications of the choices they made, hate it, and decide to do something about, that survive and have a quality of life. We all have our "demons" (LOL)
    This was like looking in a mirror! So glad everything worked out for you!

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-14-2018)

Turn Off Ads?