Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

By Lisa Respers France, CNNUpdated 10:34 AM ET, Tue October 9, 2018

(CNN) — The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on Tuesday announced its nominees for induction into the 2019 class, and it's a mix of new and old candidates.

It's the first time Def Leppard, Devo, John Prine, Roxy Music, Stevie Nicks and Todd Rundgren have made the list.

Rapper LL Cool J and the group Kraftwerk have made the list four times before.

Other nominees this year are Janet Jackson, MC5, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, The Cure and The Zombies.

To be eligible, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.

Fan(s) will once again have the opportunity to vote for their favorites.

They can visit Rockhall.com through December 9 to cast votes for who they believe to be most deserving of induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The top five artists, as selected by the public, will comprise a "fans' ballot" that will be tallied, along with the other ballots to choose the 2019 inductees. Voting is capped at one ballot per day.

Inductees will be announced in December. . . .

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/09/enter...ees/index.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

Rage and The Cure....two more bands I called years ago on here.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rage, Janet, Stevie, Kraftwerk, and of course Def Leppard.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

MC5 so West Virginian Sonic Smith can get in. Rage Against the Machine, Chaka Khan, Kraftwerk, Stevie Nicks. Kind of a light ballot this year. I might even vote for the Zombies in spite of their thin catalog.

Radiohead should get in, but I refuse to be party to this happening.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I voted Stevie Nicks,Def Leppard and Todd Rundgren.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

goreds2 (10-12-2018)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The Cure, Rage, Rundgren, Leppard, and Nicks.

Warren Zevon, J. Geils, Counting Crows, Squeeze and XTC. This should be the 5, but of course somehow the R&R HOF has decided that great rock start Janet Jackson will be nominated. Buffalo Springfield said it best, "something going wrong around here."
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Warren Zevon, J. Geils, Counting Crows, Squeeze and XTC. This should be the 5, but of course somehow the R&R HOF has decided that great rock start Janet Jackson will be nominated. Buffalo Springfield said it best, "something going wrong around here."
    When it is the main hall of fame for music in general, pop will spill in...

Janet Jackson was a force, way more than most of the acts you have listed there.

In the voters' defense, she was on there last year and maybe even before, she didnt get in.

Given the recent trend toward the Hall giving less weight to the critics, I'm surprised the Doobie Brothers haven't been nominated yet.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The Cure represent the hall's biggest blindspot - Brit new wave/goth/electronica. They really need to start inducting those bands.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They call me "chef"

As a fan of indie music who is under the age of 40, many of these HoF choices are more interesting as reminders of a long gone industry than as personal favorites who I'm excited to see get honored. I can appreciate Rage's 2nd record and I am a Radiohead and Cure fan but they never felt like "my" bands, if that makes sense, so it feels a bit like reading Radiohead's new album was nominated for a Grammy. "Oh. Right. They're one of the big rock bands. Makes sense."

I'm fairly confused as to what the Hall's supposed to be. I'm not sure there's more than an arbitrary standard. Personally, I'd love to see bands that were more popular in other countries than here get in. The ones I know are Australian/Kiwi and British (Split Enz, Cold Chisel, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, The Church, Rockpile, Slade) but every country with a strong rock history has them.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Cure represent the hall's biggest blindspot - Brit new wave/goth/electronica. They really need to start inducting those bands.
    Robert Smith is a god.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    As a fan of indie music who is under the age of 40, many of these HoF choices are more interesting as reminders of a long gone industry than as personal favorites who I'm excited to see get honored. I can appreciate Rage's 2nd record and I am a Radiohead and Cure fan but they never felt like "my" bands, if that makes sense, so it feels a bit like reading Radiohead's new album was nominated for a Grammy. "Oh. Right. They're one of the big rock bands. Makes sense."
    That's the way halls of fame work. It's always nostalgia. Weezer isn't eligible until next year (along with Daft Punk, Marilyn Manson, Notorious B.I.G., Oasis and Sleater-Kinney). Some real interesting newly eligible acts that didn't make the final ballot: Beck, Blink-182, Cake, Dave Matthews Band, Everclear, Liz Phair, Outkast, Sheryl Crow and Snoop Dogg (all of whom I expect to see on future ballots and some who will get in).

We're still a decade off from the Arcade Fire, Beyonce and Kanye being eligible. By the time your bands start getting in, you're going to be solidly middle-aged.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Larry Schuler (10-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Robert Smith is a god.
    There is something that really clicked there- voice meets music meets lyrics.

All moody, all perfect, somehow it sounds good still. And it really shouldnt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's the way halls of fame work. It's always nostalgia. Weezer isn't eligible until next year (along with Daft Punk, Marilyn Manson, Notorious B.I.G., Oasis and Sleater-Kinney). Some real interesting newly eligible acts that didn't make the final ballot: Beck, Blink-182, Cake, Dave Matthews Band, Everclear, Liz Phair, Outkast, Sheryl Crow and Snoop Dogg (all of whom I expect to see on future ballots and some who will get in).

We're still a decade off from the Arcade Fire, Beyonce and Kanye being eligible. By the time your bands start getting in, you're going to be solidly middle-aged.
    The Foos eligible next year? First ballot.

Turn Off Ads?