Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Everyone knows who the Monkees are too. Doesn't mean they should be in. Yet there seems to be an actual push to get the Monkees nominated, that they've been snubbed. Yeah, I go with snubbed, and for sound reason. As far as I'm concerned, the day they make the HOF is the day it lost all relevancy for me (LOL).

JMO .... and I don't mean to malign any of the nominees, or any others that may have gotten in that some may deem questionable, even laughable, because each has their respective fans and I respect that.

But when it comes to a Hall of Fame (any venue) they seem to have lost their way, and even the luster, as to what it really means to be classified "hall of fame". What does that stand for? It was a badge of honor, something special that separated you from the rest of the class. Just my subjective opinion, but that means you were elite, you stood out and above your peers, the best of the best. To be hall of fame meant you were part of a unique and selective group. And the criteria to be part of the select class was tight. Just doesn't seem that way anymore. It seem more about inclusion.

The Zombies? I'm old enough to remember them (LOL). Had a couple good hits, but that's about it. They get in, yet, as been mentioned, not the Doobie Brothers?

I dated a girl back in the 70s that was really into them. All she talked about was how this band were ground-breakers, innovators, with their unique electronic music. And because this girl was really hot I gave their music a try (LOL). OK. I get it. They had/have their audience. I don't think they're HOF worthy.

But getting back to the Doobie Brothers ....

They were one of my main bands back in the glorious 70s. I still listen to Toulouse Street, The Captain and Me, and What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits. I preferred Johnston's vocals over McDonalds. But still, this was a band of dominant force in the 70s. Their sound was unique. And they sold 40M records too.

When I look at so many of these nominees over the years that get in, I can't understand why the Doobie Brothers aren't in there? Maybe because they didn't overwhelm, weren't 70s flashy (Bowie, Elton, Queen, etc)? LOL
    Well let's also not discount that many bands are still to come. The Monkees will be there, their catalog beats KISS for sure.

Heck, Kraftwerk beats KISS.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    It's a hall of fame, not of influence.

There isnt a person alive who doesnt know who Def Leppard is.

Kraftwerk? I mean that is a small slice of pie right there.

Edit: didnt see M2's response. Sorry to pile on.
    Well, since its inception, the terms "Rock and Roll" and "Hall of Fame" have been pretty nebulous, and the Rock Hall has been inducting "influencers" since the get go. Can you say that some old blues or country guy most people have never heard of but influenced early rock performers is somehow more worthy than a band who has had a presence on the international music scene and influenced countless modern bands? Meanwhile, there are plenty of bands we think of as famous because they got a lot of airplay over the years, but then if you look back on how bands were marketed and promoted in the past by the major labels, it calls into question whether some of these bands were actually good, or we just think they were good because they had the marketing power of a major label behind them. For some of these bands, it almost seems not unlike the steroid era in baseball. Some of these bands sold tons of records for a few years, but then their label drops them and their entire catalog can be found in the cut out bin. Having a major label throw their full weight behind you may well be the best performance enhancing drug in rock and roll.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Well, since its inception, the terms "Rock and Roll" and "Hall of Fame" have been pretty nebulous, and the Rock Hall has been inducting "influencers" since the get go. Can you say that some old blues or country guy most people have never heard of but influenced early rock performers is somehow more worthy than a band who has had a presence on the international music scene and influenced countless modern bands? Meanwhile, there are plenty of bands we think of as famous because they got a lot of airplay over the years, but then if you look back on how bands were marketed and promoted in the past by the major labels, it calls into question whether some of these bands were actually good, or we just think they were good because they had the marketing power of a major label behind them. For some of these bands, it almost seems not unlike the steroid era in baseball. Some of these bands sold tons of records for a few years, but then their label drops them and their entire catalog can be found in the cut out bin. Having a major label throw their full weight behind you may well be the best performance enhancing drug in rock and roll.
    Yes, I can say that a band that nobody has heard of should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Who was your greatest influence? My dad.

Well let's put him in the hall....

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-21-2018)

First thing is it's not rock and roll. It's really pop music. If it were rock and roll then why is James Taylor in it?

Count me as one of the folks who's never heard of Kraftwerk. My first guess would be that it's a type of cheese...

Major labels push a lot of bands. Most end up in the "where are they now?" file. Honeymoon Suite never happened. Silverchair disappeared into the ether.

I agree it's nebulous as to who gets in. They graze in a lot of different fields with the inductees. Yet Def Leppard was the lead act of the Monsters of Rock era. "Bringing on the Heartbreak" has been scientifically proven to get a teenage boy to second base if played in a parked car. That's got to count for something.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Yes, I can say that a band that nobody has heard of should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Who was your greatest influence? My dad.

Well let's put him in the hall....
    Did your dad influence an entire generation of popular music bands and create the dominant music genre for a decade? If so, then yeah, your dad should be in.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    First thing is it's not rock and roll. It's really pop music. If it were rock and roll then why is James Taylor in it?

Count me as one of the folks who's never heard of Kraftwerk. My first guess would be that it's a type of cheese...
    Many many moons ago I had a radio show in Richmond, Indiana, and this high school kid would show up every week. And he talked on and on about Kraftwerk. They are truly considered to be influential- I think we are talking 1970ish debut, which is weird because they inspired much of the tech sounding bands of the 80s- Gary Numan, The Human League, Depeche Mode...

I mean they did do that, I dont buy this baloney they are as influential as the Beatles, but people do say that. Ive heard that for 20 years.

But to listen to their 70s stuff, is truly amazing because it doesnt fit, it was 10-15 years ahead of its time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Did your dad influence an entire generation of popular music bands and create the dominant music genre for a decade? If so, then yeah, your dad should be in.
    Let's put the Wipers, Tad, Melvins, any band that inspired grunge in then.

I think the point is that we reward the acts that became famous.

And frankly, giving us Human League and Gary Numan should be punishable by death, but I digress.

They call me "chef"

I'm looking forward to Coldplay and Imagine Dragons returning authenticity and integrity to the RnR HOF.

12. Likes:

M2 (12-19-2018),Wonderful Monds (12-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Everyone knows who the Monkees are too. Doesn't mean they should be in. Yet there seems to be an actual push to get the Monkees nominated, that they've been snubbed. Yeah, I go with snubbed, and for sound reason. As far as I'm concerned, the day they make the HOF is the day it lost all relevancy for me (LOL).

JMO .... and I don't mean to malign any of the nominees, or any others that may have gotten in that some may deem questionable, even laughable, because each has their respective fans and I respect that.

But when it comes to a Hall of Fame (any venue) they seem to have lost their way, and even the luster, as to what it really means to be classified "hall of fame". What does that stand for? It was a badge of honor, something special that separated you from the rest of the class. Just my subjective opinion, but that means you were elite, you stood out and above your peers, the best of the best. To be hall of fame meant you were part of a unique and selective group. And the criteria to be part of the select class was tight. Just doesn't seem that way anymore. It seem more about inclusion.

The Zombies? I'm old enough to remember them (LOL). Had a couple good hits, but that's about it. They get in, yet, as been mentioned, not the Doobie Brothers?

I dated a girl back in the 70s that was really into them. All she talked about was how this band were ground-breakers, innovators, with their unique electronic music. And because this girl was really hot I gave their music a try (LOL). OK. I get it. They had/have their audience. I don't think they're HOF worthy.

But getting back to the Doobie Brothers ....

They were one of my main bands back in the glorious 70s. I still listen to Toulouse Street, The Captain and Me, and What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits. I preferred Johnston's vocals over McDonalds. But still, this was a band of dominant force in the 70s. Their sound was unique. And they sold 40M records too.

When I look at so many of these nominees over the years that get in, I can't understand why the Doobie Brothers aren't in there? Maybe because they didn't overwhelm, weren't 70s flashy (Bowie, Elton, Queen, etc)? LOL
    Don't forget Patrick Simmons singing Black Water (and Depending on You). I don't really get why the Doobies aren't considered cool enough to get in. I've wondered if it might be because the Johnston years and the McDonald years can sound so different. The band's immediately identifiable in both modes, though.

But I don't mind influence bands getting in either. No excuse for leaving the Replacements out.

So should Big Star be in?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Major labels push a lot of bands. Most end up in the "where are they now?" file. Honeymoon Suite never happened. Silverchair disappeared into the ether.

I agree it's nebulous as to who gets in. They graze in a lot of different fields with the inductees. Yet Def Leppard was the lead act of the Monsters of Rock era. "Bringing on the Heartbreak" has been scientifically proven to get a teenage boy to second base if played in a parked car. That's got to count for something.
    I say this as someone who actually owned Pyromania and bought Hysteria the day it came out. I can tell you the exact moment when my mind went from "these guys are pretty good," to "Ugh, what the hell is this crap." It was the first time I heard Hysteria and listened to "Love Bites" followed by "Pour Some Sugar On Me." As soon as I heard those songs, I was done with Def Leppard. I realized that it was all just overproduced schlock rock. It also made me reevaluate my prior feelings for the band's other work. And since their original heyday, aside from a recent revival due to nostalgia, I want to say that the only place I can recall hearing their music was when making bachelor party trips to the strip club.

I also wonder if Rick Allen's use of a programmable MIDI-based drum kit would have been accepted if bands like Kraftwerk and Devo had not already pioneered the used of drum machines and electronic drum kits before then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I'm looking forward to Coldplay and Imagine Dragons returning authenticity and integrity to the RnR HOF.
    Or Nickelback.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Don't forget Patrick Simmons singing Black Water (and Depending on You). I don't really get why the Doobies aren't considered cool enough to get in. I've wondered if it might be because the Johnston years and the McDonald years can sound so different. The band's immediately identifiable in both modes, though.

But I don't mind influence bands getting in either. No excuse for leaving the Replacements out.

So should Big Star be in?
    Maybe the Doobie Brothers will get in when they open the Yacht Rock wing. Just kidding. I like the non-Michael McDonald Doobie Brothers. But that's primarily my personal aversion to Michael McDonald.

The Replacements Yes. Big Star is like the MC5 in my mind. Those two bands get no love from the classic rock stations, but inspired a lot of alt-rock bands that rose to prominence in the late 80s and early 90s.

With the Cure going in this year, I'm wondering how long the Smiths will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    If it's any consolation, the National and LCD Soundsystem are surely going in first. Yet Coldplay is going to happen and we need to gird ourselves for that inevitability.

If Imagine Dragons goes in, maybe the NZ band Dragon (Marc and Todd Hunter) will go in next, having been thus conceived of.

Or maybe I need to rest.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I say this as someone who actually owned Pyromania and bought Hysteria the day it came out. I can tell you the exact moment when my mind went from "these guys are pretty good," to "Ugh, what the hell is this crap." It was the first time I heard Hysteria and listened to "Love Bites" followed by "Pour Some Sugar On Me." As soon as I heard those songs, I was done with Def Leppard. I realized that it was all just overproduced schlock rock. It also made me reevaluate my prior feelings for the band's other work. And since their original heyday, aside from a recent revival due to nostalgia, I want to say that the only place I can recall hearing their music was when making bachelor party trips to the strip club.

I also wonder if Rick Allen's use of a programmable MIDI-based drum kit would have been accepted if bands like Kraftwerk and Devo had not already pioneered the used of drum machines and electronic drum kits before then.
    Without a doubt, Leppard was Mutt Lange's mutant hair metal monster. Good point on the drums. They were superfluous to the band's sound.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If it's any consolation, the National and LCD Soundsystem are surely going in first. Yet Coldplay is going to happen and we need to gird ourselves for that inevitability.
    LCD seems like a lock. I'd be very surprised if the National get in without first releasing a terrible late career bluesy/folk 'eclectic' soft rock album that wins Album of the Year at the 2026 Grammy Awards.

Turn Off Ads?