Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2019 nominees are ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Many many moons ago I had a radio show in Richmond, Indiana, and this high school kid would show up every week. And he talked on and on about Kraftwerk. They are truly considered to be influential- I think we are talking 1970ish debut, which is weird because they inspired much of the tech sounding bands of the 80s- Gary Numan, The Human League, Depeche Mode...

I mean they did do that, I dont buy this baloney they are as influential as the Beatles, but people do say that. Ive heard that for 20 years.

But to listen to their 70s stuff, is truly amazing because it doesnt fit, it was 10-15 years ahead of its time.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's put the Wipers, Tad, Melvins, any band that inspired grunge in then.

I think the point is that we reward the acts that became famous.

And frankly, giving us Human League and Gary Numan should be punishable by death, but I digress.
    Grunge can be traced back to VU. Really, the history of popular music of my lifetime is written by three groups: The Beatles, Velvet Underground, and, yes, Kraftwerk.

And having spent my teen years in the 80s, I'll always have a soft spot for 80s pop rock, including the Human League (Keeeep feeeling fascination/passion burning/love so strong) LOL
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    LCD seems like a lock. I'd be very surprised if the National get in without first releasing a terrible late career bluesy/folk 'eclectic' soft rock album that wins Album of the Year at the 2026 Grammy Awards.
    The National's moved a lot of units. They're also all over album of the year/decade/century lists, especially the Rolling Stone ones. They'll be doing their Alligator 20th anniversary tour right around the time they become eligible.

Their next album is going to be fascinating. I expect it to be fueled by current events like some of their earlier stuff, which opens the door for putting their live sound on wax. If so, I suspect everyone will call it a masterpiece. Obviously the songs have to be there, but they've got a gear they don't use in the studio.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The National's moved a lot of units. They're also all over album of the year/decade/century lists, especially the Rolling Stone ones. They'll be doing their Alligator 20th anniversary tour right around the time they become eligible.

Their next album is going to be fascinating. I expect it to be fueled by current events like some of their earlier stuff, which opens the door for putting their live sound on wax. If so, I suspect everyone will call it a masterpiece. Obviously the songs have to be there, but they've got a gear they don't use in the studio.
    Rumor is they had a lot of leftover songs from Sleep Well Beast and might be releasing either a proper follow up or an EP in 2019. They mentioned the abundance of unused songs in interviews around the release of SWB and they were posting cryptic photos from their recording studio recently.

5. Likes:

M2 (12-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Grunge can be traced back to VU. Really, the history of popular music of my lifetime is written by three groups: The Beatles, Velvet Underground, and, yes, Kraftwerk.

And having spent my teen years in the 80s, I'll always have a soft spot for 80s pop rock, including the Human League (Keeeep feeeling fascination/passion burning/love so strong) LOL
    I think the Sonics are where you wind up if you're tracing back grunge.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Don't forget Patrick Simmons singing Black Water
    I love that song. Their first #1 hit too. That song, when I hear it, always take me down memory lane to a certain place ... the Winter of '74, attending naval school at Great Lakes, and cruising around in my '70 Impala listening to that song (with an FM converter plugged into the back of my car AM radio - anyone remember those!)

I don't really get why the Doobies aren't considered cool enough to get in. I've wondered if it might be because the Johnston years and the McDonald years can sound so different. The band's immediately identifiable in both modes, though.
    That's still no excuse for the snub. They inducted Deep Purple last year and look at the various member lineup changes they had. It all boils down to those that are in charge of the process. The Doobies must have pee'd somebody off somewhere (LOL). Basically, IMO, what the HOF is saying is that every single person, group, performer, etc, inducted into the Rock n Roll HOF is better and more deserving then the Doobie Brothers. Most of us could blow that argument out of the water (LOL).

But I don't mind influence bands getting in either. No excuse for leaving the Replacements out.

So should Big Star be in?
    JMO, but there needs to be more when it comes to qualifying as Hall of Fame then just carrying the influential label. Everybody is influenced by someone or something. Back in the 60's many of the guitarists then would reference relative unknown black blues performers from early 20th century as influences. So the only thing that person(s) did, for the most part, was influence you, helped to mold you, make you what you are. They themselves though never came close to even sniffing the heights you took your talent to. They remained relative unknowns. I agree there should be recognition for that influence, especially when it comes to roots; but putting them on the same level as those they influenced, who went on to be HOF material, is another thing.

With me there are two sides to a Hall of Fame. The "Mount Olympus", a hall of recognition for those select group of players recognized for outstanding, elite achievement that separated them from the rest of the pack. With me a HOF is about separation, being distinct. Then there's the history section. To be honest, that's the best part for me (LOL). It's here where recognition is to be given, and emphasis made, for those who were, in many ways "behind the scene", a small part, yet exerted some influence in shaping the paths of others who went on to great success (while it eluded them). When people get awards they'll stand at the podium and give recognition to people who they say influenced them and even made this moment possible. Cool. They're getting the recognition they deserve. But that recognition doesn't put them on the same level of the HOFer IMO.

When one reads the qualifying criteria (below) the word influence is utilized quite frequently and, I guess, could be used in a broad, generalized application. I like it best when utilized emphasizing significant impact or major influence. Yeah, it tightens it up, but I guess I've always held pretty strict standards when we're talking a Hall of Fame. But that doesn't mean you don't make room to give kudos to the "honorable mentions". (LOL)

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The Beatles listened to the Everly Brothers.

It really cant be traced to 3 groups, I dont know where people come up with this stuff.

The Kraftwerk thing, especially.

Id trace grunge to Black Sabbath, as well, but this is a game people play when a band they like isnt all that popular.

The Germs, dude!
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-20-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Every bit of it was stolen from Little Richard. At least that's what he says.

I've been listening to a lot of blues lately, fwiw. That seems to be the bedrock.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

10. Likes:

GAC (12-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Every bit of it was stolen from Little Richard. At least that's what he says.

I've been listening to a lot of blues lately, fwiw. That seems to be the bedrock.
    Robert Plant loved listening to Elvis. Who did Elvis listen to?

Parlor game.

The Beatles listened to the Everly Brothers.

It really cant be traced to 3 groups, I dont know where people come up with this stuff.

The Kraftwerk thing, especially.

Id trace grunge to Black Sabbath, as well, but this is a game people play when a band they like isnt all that popular.

The Germs, dude!
    Well, if you really want to go back, Mozart was heavy metal and Beethoven was hard rock for their times. And you probably can't get to them without going through the Bach music dynasty.

As for modern rock, this is a fantastic two part podcast episode to listen to concerning that...

https://ourfakehistory.com/index.php...n-roll-part-i/

https://ourfakehistory.com/index.php...-roll-part-ii/
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Well, if you really want to go back, Mozart was heavy metal and Beethoven was hard rock for their times. And you probably can't get to them without going through the Bach music dynasty.

As for modern rock, this is a fantastic two part podcast episode to listen to concerning that...

https://ourfakehistory.com/index.php...n-roll-part-i/

https://ourfakehistory.com/index.php...-roll-part-ii/
    Dont really care about "who invented rock and roll" we're talking about a hall of fame vote.

Scream should be in, witnout them, Dave Grohl wouldnt be here.

It never ends, buddy.

Dont really care about "who invented rock and roll" we're talking about a hall of fame vote.

Scream should be in, witnout them, Dave Grohl wouldnt be here.

It never ends, buddy.
    It's just that I'm at the end of caring about fighting about it. Nobody is right or wrong here. We differ in opinion, and that's awesome. Have a great day!

Robert Plant loved listening to Elvis. Who did Elvis listen to?

Parlor game.
    No, Elvis was dead by the time Parlor Game released their first album.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-20-2018)

Dont really care about "who invented rock and roll"
    Invented? We first have to define it don't we?

Can we say the Sister Rosetta Tharpe is the Mother of rock n roll? LOL

https://splinternews.com/meet-sister...nte-1793846537
    Last edited by GAC; 12-20-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They call me "chef"

Once Beck (HELL YES) and maybe Black Keys (gross), White Stripes (gross), and Coldplay (gross) get in, will the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame just be where we induct pop stars (gross mostly), EDM producers/DJs (meh) and rappers (would be kind of cool)? M2 believes the National (nice) and LCD (cool) could get in and, if that's the case, then you have the Arcade Fire (gross) also going in...but after that? My favorite albums every year are by small-ish bands in niche rock sub-genres that will never sniff the Hall of Fame. Are Parquet Courts and Mitski, two of the most popular artists in those sub-genres, going to ever need to worry about acceptance speeches?

One last parting thing to think about:

I'm a believer that Davey Concepcion deserves to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Yes, he of the sub-.700 lifetime OPS deserves to be there. He changed how shortstop defense was played on astro-turf. He set the stage for later guys like Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel (Seattle version) to do their thing. He invented the intentional skip-throw to first base. He was an influencer in the game.

I know people will argue with me, and have differing opinions. And as I said before, that's awesome. The world would be boring if everyone had the same opinions about everything.

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-20-2018),GAC (12-21-2018)

Turn Off Ads?