Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Electric Scooters

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Electric Scooters

After seeing and trying one of those Lime scooters in Madrid, I decided to buy one.

Lots of reasons:

1. I do a lot of short trips (grocery store, gym, park) in my suburban town. Max like 5-6 miles.
    2. I don't know how to ride a bike effectively and safely.

So, I thought: Ideal. Save money and energy, have fun. Lessen the need for second car (we only have one).

But, when researching, I found out that basically, these eScooters are illegal in Florida (you can't ride them on the road OR on the sidewalk, just in your own driveway). There's a lot of grey area there anyway and some of the scooter rental companies have been operating on and off in Miami and other Florida cities.

I'm now very frustrated and am going to start pestering my elected state officials about this.

I feel like these eScooters are going to force their way into our lives, if some like or not, so we should probably accommodate the future.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Electric Scooters

I didn't realize they were illegal in Florida. I've seen them all over the place in residential Titusville, where my father lives, and he commented about how they've taken over his neighborhood. May just be one of those enforcement things; keep them out of traffic, and nobody bothers you.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

redsfanmia (10-14-2018)

We have a big problem with people in Cincinnati using them dangerously. As a pedestrian I have nearly been run over multiple times on the sidewalk. As a driver, I have had them drive in front of me unexpectedly and seen them dart into traffic in an illegal manner. I want to like them as I love the idea. But I really hate the way they are being used. City Council has made it illegal to use them on the sidewalk and people do seem to be learning to ride them properly in traffic now, so I have hope.

Bexley here is 100% convinced they are illegal under current Ohio state law, despite them being in operation all over.

It's all strange.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Bexley here is 100% convinced they are illegal under current Ohio state law, despite them being in operation all over.

It's all strange.
    Of course. Bexley is opposed to anything that could allow anyone from outside Bexley enter it.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Of course. Bexley is opposed to anything that could allow anyone from outside Bexley enter it.
    Time to gas up my car and start driving. I need to test out this theory.

I don't have a problem with scooters per se, but I'm getting somewhat annoyed with the way they are just dropping these things off all over. At some point I think they become little more than litter. And of course peop!e are hacking them like crazy which means more of them will end up in ditches or broken.
    https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...cooter-hacking
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I don't have a problem with scooters per se, but I'm getting somewhat annoyed with the way they are just dropping these things off all over. At some point I think they become little more than litter. And of course peop!e are hacking them like crazy which means more of them will end up in ditches or broken.
    https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...cooter-hacking
    Yeah, I have my doubts about the dockless rental model. If you want to use these on some regular route, you can't really count on finding one when you need one. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Scooter companies have started to lobby state legislators to lift the regulatory cloud off their use. I think regular commuters will get their own scooters.
    https://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/e-...-playbook.html

I really want to be able to scooter around my little suburban town. I already wrote to my state rep.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Remember the Deion Sanders scooter fiasco?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Are golf carts street legal in FLA?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Are golf carts street legal in FLA?
    I think so, because they have seats.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I think so, because they have seats.
    Do they have turn signals?

Knock yourself out. All things golf cart.

316.212 Operation of golf carts on certain roadways.—The operation of a golf cart upon the public roads or streets of this state is prohibited except as provided herein:
    (1) A golf cart may be operated only upon a county road that has been designated by a county, a municipal street that has been designated by a municipality, or a two-lane county road located within the jurisdiction of a municipality designated by that municipality, for use by golf carts. Prior to making such a designation, the responsible local governmental entity must first determine that golf carts may safely travel on or cross the public road or street, considering factors including the speed, volume, and character of motor vehicle traffic using the road or street. Upon a determination that golf carts may be safely operated on a designated road or street, the responsible governmental entity shall post appropriate signs to indicate that such operation is allowed.
    (2) A golf cart may be operated on a part of the State Highway System only under the following conditions:
    (a) To cross a portion of the State Highway System which intersects a county road or municipal street that has been designated for use by golf carts if the Department of Transportation has reviewed and approved the location and design of the crossing and any traffic control devices needed for safety purposes.
    (b) To cross, at midblock, a part of the State Highway System where a golf course is constructed on both sides of the highway if the Department of Transportation has reviewed and approved the location and design of the crossing and any traffic control devices needed for safety purposes.
    (c) A golf cart may be operated on a state road that has been designated for transfer to a local government unit pursuant to s. 335.0415 if the Department of Transportation determines that the operation of a golf cart within the right-of-way of the road will not impede the safe and efficient flow of motor vehicular traffic. The department may authorize the operation of golf carts on such a road if:
    1. The road is the only available public road along which golf carts may travel or cross or the road provides the safest travel route among alternative routes available; and
    2. The speed, volume, and character of motor vehicular traffic using the road is considered in making such a determination.
    Upon its determination that golf carts may be operated on a given road, the department shall post appropriate signs on the road to indicate that such operation is allowed.

(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, a golf cart may be operated for the purpose of crossing a street or highway where a single mobile home park is located on both sides of the street or highway and is divided by that street or highway, provided that the governmental entity having original jurisdiction over such street or highway shall review and approve the location of the crossing and require implementation of any traffic controls needed for safety purposes. This subsection shall apply only to residents or guests of the mobile home park. If notice is posted at the entrance and exit of any mobile home park where residents of the park operate golf carts or electric vehicles within the confines of the park, it is not necessary for the park to have a gate or other device at the entrance and exit in order for such golf carts or electric vehicles to be lawfully operated in the park.
    (4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, if authorized by the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection, a golf cart may be operated on a road that is part of the State Park Road System if the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less.
    (5) A golf cart may be operated only during the hours between sunrise and sunset, unless the responsible governmental entity has determined that a golf cart may be operated during the hours between sunset and sunrise and the golf cart is equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield.
    (6) A golf cart must be equipped with efficient brakes, reliable steering apparatus, safe tires, a rearview mirror, and red reflectorized warning devices in both the front and rear.
    (7) A golf cart may not be operated on public roads or streets by any person under the age of 14.
    (8) A local governmental entity may enact an ordinance relating to:
    (a) Golf cart operation and equipment which is more restrictive than those enumerated in this section. Upon enactment of such ordinance, the local governmental entity shall post appropriate signs or otherwise inform the residents that such an ordinance exists and that it will be enforced within the local government’s jurisdictional territory. An ordinance referred to in this section must apply only to an unlicensed driver.
    (b) Golf cart operation on sidewalks adjacent to specific segments of municipal streets, county roads, or state highways within the jurisdictional territory of the local governmental entity if:
    1. The local governmental entity determines, after considering the condition and current use of the sidewalks, the character of the surrounding community, and the locations of authorized golf cart crossings, that golf carts, bicycles, and pedestrians may safely share the sidewalk;
    2. The local governmental entity consults with the Department of Transportation before adopting the ordinance;
    3. The ordinance restricts golf carts to a maximum speed of 15 miles per hour and permits such use on sidewalks adjacent to state highways only if the sidewalks are at least 8 feet wide;
    4. The ordinance requires the golf carts to meet the equipment requirements in subsection (6). However, the ordinance may require additional equipment, including horns or other warning devices required by s. 316.271; and
    5. The local governmental entity posts appropriate signs or otherwise informs residents that the ordinance exists and applies to such sidewalks.
    (9) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable pursuant to chapter 318 as a moving violation for infractions of subsections (1)-(5) or a local ordinance corresponding thereto and enacted pursuant to subsection (8), or punishable pursuant to chapter 318 as a nonmoving violation for infractions of subsection (6), subsection (7), or a local ordinance corresponding thereto and enacted pursuant to subsection (8).
    History.—s. 2, ch. 83-188; s. 1, ch. 84-111; s. 2, ch. 88-253; s. 322, ch. 95-148; s. 4, ch. 96-413; s. 168, ch. 99-248; s. 7, ch. 2000-313; s. 6, ch. 2005-164; s. 3, ch. 2008-98; s. 46, ch. 2010-223; s. 2, ch. 2015-163.
    Copyright © 1995-2018 The Florida Legislature • Privacy Statement • Contact Us

Nope, I will ride my quad.

Turn Off Ads?