Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1027

Thread: College Basketball 2018-2019

Re: College Basketball 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Well what do you have to do to earn the Duke job?
    I’d imagine the job is going to attract any big name with a big ego who isn’t at a blue blood and even NBA. Chris Beard maybe? Brad Stevens? John Beilein?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (05-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Prove to be an elite college coach. None of those guys are close. Most of the ones on that list have either already failed at high profile programs (Capel, Ammaker, Dawkins) or have been generally mediocre in the places they are now (Hurley, Wojo). Brey is the best of the bunch, but he's been around a long time. I don't think anyone would get particularly excited about a Brey hire. If you HAVE to stay in the Dook family, I might try to get Quinn Snyder out of Utah. He was bad at Mizzou his first time through, too, but his time in Utah is much more impressive than anything any of the other Dook alums have done in college (other than Brey, arguably).
    Snider also got Missouri in trouble but he would be the most intriguing.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Prove to be an elite college coach. None of those guys are close. Most of the ones on that list have either already failed at high profile programs (Capel, Ammaker, Dawkins) or have been generally mediocre in the places they are now (Hurley, Wojo). Brey is the best of the bunch, but he's been around a long time. I don't think anyone would get particularly excited about a Brey hire. If you HAVE to stay in the Dook family, I might try to get Quinn Snyder out of Utah. He was bad at Mizzou his first time through, too, but his time in Utah is much more impressive than anything any of the other Dook alums have done in college (other than Brey, arguably).
    Was Coach K an elite college coach when he got the Duke job?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’d imagine the job is going to attract any big name with a big ego who isn’t at a blue blood and even NBA. Chris Beard maybe? Brad Stevens? John Beilein?
    Beilein is way too old. Beard or Stevens would make sense. Mark Few, perhaps, though he's also on the older end.

- - - Updated - - -

Dook wasn't an elite program when Coach K got the job.

Beard perhaps...but I think Duke will hire from "with-in".

Dook wasn't an elite program when Coach K got the job.
    Says who? They played for a title in '78. Seems a lot of people forget how good of a program Duke has historically been. And that was before K.

9. Likes:

Chip R (05-16-2019)

Duke is a completely different monster now from when they hired K.

It’s not like they were bad before K though. Duke was one win away from being in the Glory Road game and lost another championship under Bill Foster to Kentucky in 78.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

If White succeeds.....why leave Florida?
    I don't think he would. If he is that successful he'll have every reason to stay. However, I don't think he'll ever be successful enough here to garner serious interest to follow Coach K.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Says who? They played for a title in '78. Seems a lot of people forget how good of a program Duke has historically been. And that was before K.
    They were a good program when K took over. But they were not elite. They couldn't basically handpick their guy from all but about 10 coaches back then. Now they can, and there's no reason for them to take a risk on an unproven coach from Army (or Harvard or Marquette or Arizona State or Central Florida) this time around.

Duke is a completely different monster now from when they hired K.

It’s not like they were bad before K though. Duke was one win away from being in the Glory Road game and lost another championship under Bill Foster to Kentucky in 78.
    The game has changed...particularly the NCAAT. But Duke was a commodity before K arrived.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I think we're going to see White doing a good amount of winning over the next few seasons. This years team is going to be one of the most talented UF has ever had and there is still the possibility of adding another GT like Blackshear if he decides to play another year in school. Moving forward White has proven he can go toe to toe with the big boys and win and he's not going to slow down. He's proven to be a far superior recruiter to Donovan (though he's a long way from Billy in terms of in game offensive coaching). Giving him the keys to a program like Duke would undoubtedly result in Duke not missing a beat in recruiting and maintain that program as one of the elites. I think by the time K steps down White will have the resume to match up to anyone elses who goes for that job. Having his father as the AD will only help Dukes chances of prying him lose from UF, which is what I'm worried about, not the opposite.
    We're not getting Blackshear. He's looking to stay in the draft. There's another transfer were looking to add named Andre Allen, who is raw but has athletic ability out the wazoo. Mann and Lewis will be awesome but Omar Payne looks like he's a year away. Next year's success is predicated on grabbing a grad transfer big who can make an immediate impact and we haven't done that yet. Should still be better than last year, though...and this assumes Nembhard pulls his name out of the draft.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

They were a good program when K took over. But they were not elite. They couldn't basically handpick their guy from all but about 10 coaches back then. Now they can, and there's no reason for them to take a risk on an unproven coach from Army (or Harvard or Marquette or Arizona State or Central Florida) this time around.
    K was proven. Bob Knight disciple.

73-59 and an NIT appearance isn’t exactly “proven” regardless of who’s coattails you are following.

73-59 and an NIT appearance isn’t exactly “proven” regardless of who’s coattails you are following.
    Duke wanted K because he was a Knight guy.

He wasn't proven. He was a promising coaching prospect. A lot of those guys don't work out. Dan Dakich and Jim Crews were once promising Knight disciples, too.

Turn Off Ads?