Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Awesomeness Only

Re: Awesomeness Only

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was a librarian for 21 years, working in jobs that were not very challenging or rewarding. So, I decided to reinvent myself by learning how to do software implementation, which I did for five years, with a vague notion of returning to libraries to work as a consultant. As it were, I landed a job as an implementation consultant, working with academic libraries, migrating to a new open source management system. That's pretty awesome, but even more awesome, I was named the lead implementation consultant for the Library of Congress, which means I'll be helping them develop routines and workflows that will take research libraries into a new era of information management.
    Will you be moving to the nation's capital? We can always use more Reds fans in these parts.
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was a librarian for 21 years, working in jobs that were not very challenging or rewarding. So, I decided to reinvent myself by learning how to do software implementation, which I did for five years, with a vague notion of returning to libraries to work as a consultant. As it were, I landed a job as an implementation consultant, working with academic libraries, migrating to a new open source management system. That's pretty awesome, but even more awesome, I was named the lead implementation consultant for the Library of Congress, which means I'll be helping them develop routines and workflows that will take research libraries into a new era of information management.
    Whoa. Well done Sundeck. Heartiest congratulations. Sounds like a fascinating job.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

That's really something, SunDeck!

Quite an honor!
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm lucky to have found this opportunity. And no, I won't be relocating to DC; this is one of multiple libraries I'll be working with over the next five years, although obviously this one stands above the others.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Congrats Sundeck...quite impressive.

My personal good news is the installation of enough solar panels, that we'll essentially be "off the grid" with enough power generated to charge an EV.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-31-2022),moewan (12-31-2022),RFS62 (12-30-2022),SunDeck (12-30-2022)

I've been watching this youtube channel, and this girl is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrOONKvtKo If you're interesting in mechanical stuff at all, it's mesmerizing.

She has an engineering degree, but just watching her you can tell she has a mechanical mind. She doesn't hesitate, and she tackles a wide range of problems. Of course, there are a bunch of comments saying that she doesn't do it right because she doesn't use torque wrenches or hone the cylinders, but she is doing this in the dirt in rural china with hand tools, and at the end of the day she gets the stuff working again for pennies on the dollar. I know of professional shops that wouldn't take on work like this.

And just to be clear, I'm not posting this because she's a girl, but rather because she's an awesome mechanic.

9. Likes:

bounty37h (01-11-2023),Revering4Blue (01-01-2023)

I figured a way to store some of my lawn and power tool batteries. This is a Christmas ornament decoration organizer. I placed my Sun Joe and Worx batteries in it. The lid will not close if I put Ryobi batteries in it but I got those other brands in it. Awesome for me.

Name:  70EC69F7-BCC0-4CA9-B126-4D3375AEDAAD.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  298.6 KB

I bought this in store at Walmart but I think this is the item.

Sterilite Infra Red Adjustable Ornament
    Last edited by goreds2; 01-07-2023 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

11. Likes:

ShyGuy (06-25-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I figured a way to store some of my lawn and power tool batteries. This is a Christmas ornament decoration organizer. I placed my Sun Joe and Worx batteries in it. The lid will not close if I put Ryobi batteries in it but I got those other brands in it. It is awesome for me.

Name:  70EC69F7-BCC0-4CA9-B126-4D3375AEDAAD.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  298.6 KB

I bought this in store at Walmart but I think this is the item.

Sterilite Infra Red Adjustable Ornament Case
    My favorite organization hack is to put my loose cords into clear zip lock bags, then store those bags in a plastic storage bin. Keeps them from getting tangled, and you can easily find whatever you're looking for.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

goreds2 (01-07-2023)

For 10 Years, An Alabama Farmer Secretly Paid People's Pharmacy Bills

Hody Childress, a farmer and US air force veteran, had been keeping it a secret since 2012 when he walked into a drug store in his home town of Geraldine and learned from the owner, Brooke Walker, that sometimes families can't afford to pay for their medicines.

Childress told Walker: "Here, this $100 is for anyone who can't afford their prescription. Do not tell a soul that the money came from me. Tell them it's a blessing from God."

A month later, Childress walked back into Geraldine Drugs.

"Here's another 100-dollar bill. Do not tell a soul that the money came from me. Tell them it's a blessing from God," Childress told Walker.

"Mr. Childress was a kind, humble man," Walker told local news station WVTM. "Each and every month, year after year, he would walk into the drug store and hand me 100 dollars. I kept my word of not telling anyone, even the family. Eventually, I did start taking a little money here, a little money there, just to help people who were struggling."
    https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/...Pharmacy-Bills

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-24-2023)

My son has been really getting into baseball the last couple years-he is 10 and not athletic in the least bit but he really enjoys it. He started middle school this year as a 5th grader, and they are not eligible to play on the school team so he deiced he wanted to try to be a manager so he can learn the game more (little league doesn't provide much of that as there is such a mix of kids/talent levels that basics of even catching/throwing are still the focus). The head coach said managers have to try out like regular players as they are involved in drills etc. for practices, part of the team they just can't play in games. Tryouts were this week, and I was so proud he even had the courage to go out amongst the older, more athletic and talented kids. He got cut yesterday and was crushed-such a helpless feeling for a parent. I talked to him on the way home as tears welled up in his eyes, I told him to take the day/night and be sad, disappointed, angry-whatever he was feeling but tomorrow, he has 2 choices. He can roll over and quit or use it as motivation to work harder to get to the level of the players he saw out there. He laid around at the house for an hour or so, then when it was time for dinner he said he wanted a salad (he is not a salad kid). Later last night I went up to his room to check on him and he was doing sit ups, push ups and had baseball playing on youtube in the background. I told him how proud I was of him for even having the courage to tryout-that I wouldn't have at his age, but am prouder of him deciding he wants to try to work harder to chase what he wants.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

17. Likes:

goreds2 (02-23-2023),moewan (02-22-2023),SunDeck (02-23-2023),WrongVerb (02-22-2023)

High School Students Raise Over $260,000 So 80-Year-Old Janitor Can Retire

Last month, an 80-year-old man was forced out of retirement in order to pay his bills. Mr. James, as he is known, got a job as a janitor at Callisburg High School in Texas.

When students learned that Mr. James was struggling to pay his bills and had to cut his retirement short, they knew they had to act.

"It's just so sad seeing an 80-year-old man having to do things an 80-year-old shouldn't have to do," Callisburg senior Banner Tidwell told KXII.

Tidwell and several other students set up a GoFundMe page so they could raise money for Mr. James to retire for good. To spread the word about their fundraiser, Greyson Thurman posted a video on TikTok showing Mr. James cleaning the school.

"He should be living his life, doing what he wants. His rent got raised," Thurman told WFAA. "That forced him to come back to keep working. He should just be living right now, doing what he wants."

@grey.thurman
    Go fund me is in the bio! My classmates and I hate seeing Mr. James here, no one his age should have to be cleaning our messes up to continue to live. #fyp#school#gofundme#fy#mrjames

♬ snowfall - Øneheart & reidenshi
    The video was popular among students, who donated about $10,000 in the first 12 hours, meeting their initial goal.

"I have 2,000 followers, and that was enough to get the word out," said Thurman.

As the story gained traction with the media, donations spiked, with over 8,500 people donating more than $260,000 as of Friday (February 24) afternoon.

"It's just amazing," Callisburg Principal Jason Hooper told KXII." You know of the need that was met because of three kind kids, but of all of our students who have pitched in to help that need."
    https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20...or-can-retire/

19. Likes:

bounty37h (02-26-2023),cumberlandreds (02-27-2023),SunDeck (03-05-2023)

Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl barbecues for over 24 hours at homeless shelter

Mission
    "He actually served to our guests, he came out and was very gracious and took pictures with the people that recognized him," Ancheta says. "He wanted no glory for it, he was like, 'I just want to do this for you guys and give back in that way.'"

Ancheta says Grohl told staffers at Hope the Mission he finds getting into the barbecue pit therapeutic after he comes offstage.

"Whenever he comes off of work or anything else, that’s what he wants to do," Ancheta says. "He wants to cook for people."

She continues: "And by the way — it was amazing. It’s the best barbecue we’ve had."
    https://www.today.com/food/news/dave...eles-rcna72721

21. Likes:

bounty37h (03-06-2023),Redhook (03-29-2023)

Happy first day of spring! Dairy Queen celebrating with free ice cream cone

Happy first day of spring!

And for ice cream fans, it's also free cone day at Dairy Queen.

To celebrate the start of spring, Dairy Queen is kicking off what it calls "treat szn" (or treat season) by offering a free small vanilla cone to customers at participating U.S. non-mall locations on Monday.

The offer is limited to one per person and lasts all day, while supplies last. The free cones may not be valid on delivery or mobile orders.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...123810524.html

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    As I have mentioned, I write and produce small indie films that no one sees, lol. We start shooting the next one on March 30th. Not that awesome, but we were able to sign Vivica A. Fox to play the lead. Not a big name, but the biggest name I have ever signed.

This means that I will be posting much less here, if at all, over the next month, so for the rest of Redszone, I am sure that is totally awesome
    Okay, apologies for the long delay on the update, I said I would update when we wrapped, but was unable to talk about the movie until now, but that’s a good thing. The executive producers thought it could get national distribution, so they didn’t want anything leaked until then. Not that I was worried any distributors would be reading Redszone, but I was under strict orders. But we now have a completed movie and are ending up our festival run, so radio silence has been lifted.

The shoot went well, except for one day (Vivica's day) that I will get to in another post for obvious reasons, editing went well, minimal reshoots and we had a festival ready movie by September of last year. We have done well beyond anyone’s expectations in the festivals. General rule with film festivals is you want to get into one out of every 10 you submit to, and on some projects we’ve struggled to get into one out of 20. We have heard from 21 festivals so far and got into 8 of them. In those festivals we have won 17 awards, including 4 for Best Feature. Multiple ones for best screenplay, best actress and best director. These are all small festivals, nothing like Sundance or Tribeca, true indie festivals, so we are competing against similar low budget movies, not star driven “indies” that win the bigger festivals. We would have no chance of getting into the bigger festivals, let alone winning any awards in them. Still, winning is fun.

Our next step is finding distribution. The success at the festivals should help, but we are so low budget, it’s still an uphill battle. We have no shot at a theater distribution, but are hopeful we can get a streaming or basic cable deal. Either one would be huge for us. This will take some time, but if we do get distribution, I definitely will let everyone know where to watch it. However, I do warn everyone about this movie, it is not for everyone. It’s quite heavy and dark. It deals with the long term effects that sexual abuse has on survivors. It’s not a date movie. Here is the trailer for it, which should give one an idea if the movie is for them.

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

24. Likes:

bounty37h (04-03-2023),cumberlandreds (03-30-2023),goreds2 (03-29-2023),Redhook (03-29-2023),RFS62 (04-03-2023),SunDeck (03-31-2023),westofyou (03-29-2023),WrongVerb (03-29-2023)

Another likely "only awesome to me" moment. I shared awhile back that my son was cut from the middle school team. He is playing for his little league team and was called to pitch in the 4th inning the other night with 2 runners on (2nd & 3rd), 2 outs and down 7-4. He struck out the batter to end the inning. We came in and scored 5 to make it 9-7. Coach sent him back out and he struck out the side to get the win. It was more awesome because one of the opponent coaches scored my son way lower than all the other evaluators during eval day, and both their coaches are pretty bad sports and play bush league. They are also the team to beat each year and probably beat us by 20 runs all 3 games last year. It was so great to see my son finally get the chance to be the hero and enjoy it-his smile was infectious all weekend.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

26. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-03-2023),goreds2 (04-03-2023),moewan (04-04-2023),SteelSD (04-06-2023)

Turn Off Ads?