Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesomeness Only

Re: Awesomeness Only

Well, my son tried out his songs for a groups of friends last night, and he did really well. I knew he was good at horns, but he must have been practicing on the guitar a lot over the winter. He kicked it off with two Marley songs, "Is This Love" and "No Woman No Cry", followed by Melissa by the Allman Brothers. Then he took out his trumpet and played and sang a really nice version of Fly Me To The Moon. Next was the dixieland thing he worked up on the sax, and ended it back on the guitar with the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah. We never had a TV, and I was always playing blues and jazz and reggae in the house, so I guess it rubbed off on him.

He got a lot of positive feedback, and one thing they all commented on was that he didn't have an ipad or anything with him to read the lyrics from, and knew everything by heart. I told him long ago that it really takes away from the rhythm and the connection with the audience if you use that as a crutch, and they were glad to see him let go and play.

So, he's the last one to leave the nest, so my job is done.

2. Likes:

bounty37h (04-18-2021),cumberlandreds (04-19-2021),goreds2 (04-18-2021),RFS62 (04-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Texas homeless man gets job, support after stranger's generosity: 'God is good'
    Kenneth Smith's journey started with a $100 Outback Steakhouse gift card

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/ho...-stranger-help
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I don't usually wish death on anyone, but I like animals more than most humans, so this got my attention: Poacher gets trampled by elephants.

Somehow the thought of an elephant poacher getting trampled by elephants is awesome.

6. Likes:

bounty37h (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don't usually wish death on anyone, but I like animals more than most humans, so this got my attention: Poacher gets trampled by elephants.

Somehow the thought of an elephant poacher getting trampled by elephants is awesome.
    That fits into the realm of whatever lies beyond awesome.

The Reds halted their 7 game losing streak early this morning.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    The Reds halted their 7 game losing streak early this morning.
    This thread is for awesomeness, not obvious fiction. There's no way the Reds win on the road against the defending World Champion Dodgers. Stop it.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (04-27-2021)

While most pre-teens are navigating the challenges of middle school, at age 12, Alena Analeigh has already earned her high school diploma and is set to attend Arizona State University via remote learning in May.

With a planned double major in astronomical/planetary science and chemistry, Alena’s goal is to become a NASA engineer by the time she’s 16, where she hopes to employ her extraordinary skills to build rovers like the ones sent to Mars on missions.
    https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/alen...-12-years-old/

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-29-2021)

Florida first responders free woman, daughter from mobile home crushed by large tree: 'Truly a miracle'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-f...ruly-a-miracle

How One Developer is Turning Farm Storage into Soaring Yet Affordable Apartments

Produced by the U.S. Navy for use in World War II, and now consigned primarily for storage use on farms, the Quonset hut is experiencing a rebirth within the residential neighborhoods of Detroit. The long half-cylinder of corrugated steel, prefabricated in factories, was used by development company Prince Concepts to create a unique apartment building of eight high-ceilinged units for 30% less than comparable affordable housing in up-and-coming neighborhoods in the city.
    https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/quon...ince-concepts/

16. Likes:

757690 (05-20-2021),WrongVerb (05-08-2021)

Disclaimer: Proud dad moment ahead.

This past year has been...rotten...in a lot of ways for a lot of people. Aside from the challenges of living in a Covid-19 world, my family has experienced multiple events that could have easily resulted in tragic fatalities. We've done our best to navigate a lot of PTSD by focusing on how lucky (rather than unlucky) we are and done our best to embrace the adage that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Literally. Get up off the mat and be resilient.

12 months ago, our daughter finished her junior year of high school online like so many other kids around the world did. We talked a lot about what her senior year of high school may or may not look like. We knew that her school was going to do everything possible to pull off safe and in-person learning for the kids this year. And they did. She was in person for school every day beginning in the middle of September.

Before school started, our daughter set out these goals for her senior year:

1. Qualify for and compete in the state championship cross-country meet
    2. Qualify for and compete in the state championship swim meet
    3. Qualify for and compete in the state championship track & field meet.
    4. Graduate with a GPA over 4.0.

As of last weekend, she had checked 1, 2 and 4 off the list. This weekend, she got number 3. Her relay team finished 4th in the state meet (in one of the larger school classifications) doing so in a school-record time.

And for good measure, the girls track & field team won the state team title, too.

18. Likes:

757690 (05-20-2021),BernieCarbo (05-16-2021),cumberlandreds (05-17-2021),goreds2 (05-20-2021),moewan (05-16-2021),RFS62 (05-23-2021),RiverRat13 (05-18-2021),SunDeck (05-17-2021),WrongVerb (05-15-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Weatherman’s Cat Crashes His Home Broadcast and She’s Now a Beloved Co-Host

The COVID-19 pandemic has meant that many TV production studios have had to temporarily shut down, but that doesn’t mean viewers have to do without their favorite shows and news broadcasts. From famous musicians’ home concerts to John Krasinski’s “Some Good News” YouTube show, many celebrities are broadcasting from the comfort of their homes during lockdown. This is also the case for Indiana's 14 First Alert Chief Meteorologist Jeff Lyons, who set up a green screen in his living room in order to continue to give the weather forecast from his home. While he usually films alone, he recently welcomed a furry visitor on screen—his cat, Betty.

10-year-old Betty made her screen debut in early April when she became curious about Lyons' home studio. Lyons picked her up and cradled her in his arms while he reported on the weather. The response from Lyons' followers was so great, Betty is now a regular co-presenter, and she’s even got her own banner to display her title, “Betty the Weather Cat.”

However, it isn’t always easy to get Betty to behave (she’s a cat after all), so Lyons often has to lure her with ham. “Two hams on the screen and a little ham on my fingers made it work…at least for a while,” Lyons says in one recent broadcast. “Why do I get the feeling I’m performing tricks for the cat instead of the other way around?”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

757690 (05-20-2021),goreds2 (05-18-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Idaho teacher disarmed school shooter and hugged her until help arrived

When a student opened fire at an Idaho middle school, teacher Krista Gneiting directed children to safety, rushed to help a wounded victim and then calmly disarmed the sixth-grade shooter, hugging and consoling the girl until police arrived.

Parents credited the math teacher’s display of compassion with saving lives. While two students and the school custodian were shot in the incident on 6 May, all three survived, and the gunfire was over within minutes.

In an interview with ABC News that aired Wednesday, Gneiting said she was preparing her Rigby middle school students for their final exams when she heard the first gunshot down the hall. She looked outside her classroom and saw the custodian lying on the floor. She heard two more shots as she closed the door.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

22. Likes:

757690 (05-20-2021),goreds2 (05-20-2021)

I power washed the sidewalks today. You do not realize how dirty they are until you start.

Attachment 17339

( In my opinion, if you get a power washer get a least a 2000 PSI )

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I power washed the sidewalks today. You do not realize how dirty they are until you start.

Attachment 17339

Crazy that it takes a power washer to write that. I tried it for the Cardinals and all it took was a sweep.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

25. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-30-2021),goreds2 (06-08-2021),marcshoe (06-08-2021),RichRed (06-09-2021),WrongVerb (06-08-2021)

Attachment 17339

This looks like something I would do. I like it.

When I’ve painted our bathrooms with big mirrors, after I’ve taken the mirrors down, I painted my initials and the year behind it. I figure in the misty future when the next owner takes the mirror down, he’ll go “wut the?” And wonder who the nut job was that did that. An Easter egg of sorts.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

27. Likes:

goreds2 (06-08-2021),marcshoe (06-08-2021),RFS62 (06-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?