Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Awesomeness Only

They call me "chef"

Re: Awesomeness Only

That is awesome. Please get embroiled in a laborious, unrelenting devil’s advocate debate with Vivica for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-13-2022),goreds2 (04-13-2022),RichRed (04-13-2022),SunDeck (04-15-2022)

So, this happened after work today, and I think it was kind of awesome...first, some background...

In mid-March, my wife found a good deal on a Nordictrack treadmill on Walmart.com- marked down from about a grand to about $600- and ordered it to be delivered to our house and set up. It was to arrive on March 31st. The night before it was supposed to show up, she got an email notifying that the order was cancelled due to "Error". Now, she's furious at this point as she spent time prepping an area for it to be assembled, cleared a couple hours off work for the delivery, etc.

Knowing she was disappointed (more afraid of her wrath's spillover) I decided to get up early on the 31st and try to figure out what happened. Checked on Walmart.com and, sure enough, the thing shows up out of stock (thus, the "Error", I guess). I don't know why, but I checked again about half an hour later and suddenly there was one in stock at one of the nearby Walmarts (Huh. Wonder how that got there..."Error"). So, attempting to cure my wife's onset of furious (actually more protecting my own well being), I bought it from the store, waited on hold for an hour to confirm it was there, argued for delivery with zero luck, later grabbed my neighbor and his truck to pick it up, got it inside and that was that. Or so I thought...

Fast forward to today. I got home from work, took some trash out of my vehicle, walked it to one of our garbage bins, then started toward our front door. But I doubled back because something seemed off. Well, what was "off" was the wood pallet with a brand new boxed Nordictrack treadmill with an order number matching the cancelled order from March. We checked both the Walmart account and our bank account, saw that the order had been and was still cancelled with $0.00 charged to us, and that nothing had been billed to our account. Knowing that the delivery was likely a mistake, and understanding that it was $1,000 MSRP, we contacted Walmart and asked them what to do. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes, our nice customer service associate came back and told us that we didn't need to return it, and that it was ours to keep at no cost as it was their mistake.

Now I just wish we'd ordered a 75" 4K TV instead, because I can figure out to do with an extra one of those. But I barely know what the heck to do with one treadmill, much less two.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-13-2022),cumberlandreds (04-14-2022),goreds2 (04-14-2022),redhawkfish (04-14-2022),SunDeck (04-15-2022),WrongVerb (04-14-2022)

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-17-2022),moewan (04-18-2022)

101-year-old earns honorary high school diploma after dropping out in the 1930s
    Merrill Pittman Cooper of West Virginia, has fulfilled a lifelong goal

Jefferson County Schools says that during Cooper’s time at Storer, he took college preparatory courses in Latin, biology, history, English and mathematics. While he hoped to go to college, "life circumstances intervened when he moved with his mother to Philadelphia for financial reasons" during his senior year in high school, according to a press announcement released by the district. At the time, he discontinued the coursework.

Cooper lived in Philadelphia for the next 50 years, where he worked in transportation and ultimately became a union vice president.
    https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/10...school-diploma

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

10. Likes:

757690 (04-24-2022),bounty37h (05-02-2022),cumberlandreds (04-18-2022),marcshoe (04-28-2022),RiverRat13 (04-18-2022)

12. Likes:

goreds2 (04-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    My best friend's son made his first varsity start yesterday. He took a no hitter into the 7th and struck out 10.
    Why am I quoting this post from a year ago? Because today he finished off the no hitter!

14. Likes:

bounty37h (05-02-2022),cumberlandreds (04-27-2022),dubc47834 (12-21-2022),goreds2 (04-27-2022),marcshoe (04-28-2022),RFS62 (05-01-2022),Stray (04-30-2022),WrongVerb (04-27-2022)

4-Year-Old Boy Gets New Heart For His Birthday

Most 4-year-olds ask to receive toys for their birthday but Huber Heights native, Sammy Jones, just wanted a new heart. According to FOX NEWS, Jones has a condition called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This means that the left part of his heart cannot function properly.

Jones has been in and out of surgery since he was one. When his condition was declared critical in December of 2021, he was placed on the heart transplant list.

"It was crazy. After you do this for a long period of time … it just doesn’t seem like there’s any end in sight," Sammy's father, Garland Jones told FOX NEWS.

Four months after being placed on the list, the family was notified that Sammy would be receiving a new heart. FOX NEWS mentioned that the 14-hour-long surgery took place at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center three weeks before his fourth birthday.

Despite early warnings from doctors and the severity of his condition, Sammy is recovering and has the potential to live a full life. When Sammy's mother, Kortney Sink was told that he might not make it through child birth, she declined other options.

"It went from excitement to sitting down with a doctor asking us if we thought about abortion," Garland said.

Though it has been a long and winding road, Garland has faith that " Superman Sammy" will prevail.

"I’m a firm believer that faith is a muscle and boy, I’ve been doing some heavy lifting."
    https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20...-his-birthday/

16. Likes:

bounty37h (05-16-2022),Roy Tucker (05-04-2022)

Chicago Man Who Saved Stranger From Train Tracks Is Surprised With New Car

Anthony Perry, 20, is being hailed as a hero for jumping into action to save someone who fell off a platform onto transit train tracks in Chicago.

The man was unconscious on the electrified rail.

"The guy didn't have control of his body so I really felt like if I don't help him, who will help?" Perry told USA Today. "Everybody was just standing around recording."

With the help of another commuter, Perry performed CPR as he waited for paramedics to arrive on the scene. The man who was shocked by the electrified rail was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive.

Walker learned that Perry used all his savings to purchase a defective car and had been relying on public transportation ever since. So, he decided to surprise him with a car for his heroic actions.

Perry said the car will make his life "way easier." His daily commute from his home to his job will be cut from over an hour to around 30 minutes.
    https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/...d-With-New-Car

18. Likes:

bounty37h (10-31-2022),cumberlandreds (06-15-2022),moewan (06-15-2022),Revering4Blue (08-10-2022),RFS62 (06-21-2022),SunDeck (06-28-2022),WrongVerb (06-15-2022)

Kids' Lemonade Stand Raises $3,500 For St. Jude

August 3, 2022

A neighborhood kids' lemonade stand in Peoria, Illinois raised more than $3,500 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital this past weekend. "The Lemonade Stand for St. Jude that our neighbors hosted this weekend raised $3,515 and donated it to my run goal. I CANNOT find the words to tell you how I feel. It’s absolutely incredible to celebrate this way," Miller wrote in a Facebook post.

"As a parent, it makes you really proud. It was their idea, obviously we wanted to support and encourage them to be as successful as possible, but it really connected the dots for them to realize what they were doing and how that money could really help save children," Rothan said.
    https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/...00-For-St-Jude

20. Likes:

bounty37h (10-31-2022),cumberlandreds (08-10-2022),marcshoe (08-11-2022),moewan (08-11-2022),Revering4Blue (08-10-2022)

Video of Ohio senior citizen doing karaoke performance at Goodwill goes viral

"She told me she found the Karaoke machine and she wanted to take it back to the nursing home she visits," Schuerfranz wrote alongside the video, which he posted on Aug. 8, continuing to say that she was "so energetic.".

Done up in a snazzy purple outfit covered in a white crochet vest, Garvin is about as delightful as you can imagine she'd be, singing along with a jaunty version of the classic spiritual, "He's Got the Whole World In His Hands."

But there was another surprise in store for Garvin: Someone bought the karaoke machine before she could hand over her money and gifted it to her, reported KOLD News 13.
    https://www.today.com/news/good-news...iral-rcna43552

22. Likes:

bounty37h (10-31-2022),WrongVerb (08-19-2022)

I saw a professional no hitter in person for the first time ever last night. A 29 year old named Daniel Gossett (who spent a season and a half with Oakland) threw a no hitter for the Wichita Wind Surge against the Tulsa Drillers. He went 9 innings and threw 119 pitches, which was only possible because he's a non-prospect whose arm the Twins really aren't worried about. Sat in the front row behind the plate, and you could tell early on that his breaking stuff was just filthy nasty last night. It clearly meant a ton to Gossett and his teammates. One last highlight before his career comes to an end. Cool scene at the end with his teaamates mobbing him and carrying him off the field.

24. Likes:

bounty37h (10-31-2022),cumberlandreds (08-20-2022),Danny Serafini (08-22-2022),goreds2 (08-21-2022),moewan (08-21-2022),SteelSD (08-22-2022),WrongVerb (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I saw a professional no hitter in person for the first time ever last night. A 29 year old named Daniel Gossett (who spent a season and a half with Oakland) threw a no hitter for the Wichita Wind Surge against the Tulsa Drillers. He went 9 innings and threw 119 pitches, which was only possible because he's a non-prospect whose arm the Twins really aren't worried about. Sat in the front row behind the plate, and you could tell early on that his breaking stuff was just filthy nasty last night. It clearly meant a ton to Gossett and his teammates. One last highlight before his career comes to an end. Cool scene at the end with his teaamates mobbing him and carrying him off the field.
    That would make a great movie or book.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    That would make a great movie or book.
    Chapter 10: I knew that curve was gonna' get him swinging! YEAHHH!

Chapter 11: Crap I walked a guy.

Chapter 12: DOUBLE PLAY RIGHT ON!!! WHOOOOO!!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Texas Trucker is Named ‘Highway Angel’ for Stopping to Rescue a Police Officer Pinned in Vehicle

On the afternoon of October 4, near Forrest City, Arkansas, Wilburn was driving very slowly in heavy traffic. He came across a crashed State Trooper’s vehicle on the side of the road. Every other motorist was passing the vehicle without stopping to look inside.

“I was in traffic for an hour before I saw the trooper,” said the trucker from San Antonio, Texas.

Wilburn, who drives for Anderson Trucking, called 911 and reported what he found.

“I’m that idiot that runs into burning buildings and pulls out pets. When I see something like that, I can’t keep going on about my day.”

Since the program’s inception in August 1997, nearly 1,300 professional truck drivers have been recognized as Highway Angels for exemplary kindness, courtesy, and courage displayed while on the job.
    https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/gary...highway-angel/

28. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-21-2022)

Turn Off Ads?