Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Awesomeness Only

Re: Awesomeness Only

Great story with video. A dad buys a girl her first car, a beater which is all he could afford. His daughter is so loving and happy. I wish more people were like this, both father and daughter. You can tell he had to save and sacrifice and still couldn’t afford the greatest vehicle. His daughters reaction is so appreciative and not the least bit pretentious. This is a great father daughter relationship.
    https://twitter.com/9mm_smg/status/1718350061338325299
    “ It is a shame what this worlds gotten to”

2. Likes:

goreds2 (10-29-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm not a golfer, but those of you who are, and who have the chance to play at Pebble Beach, might be very interested in this. He apparently does it a lot.

Jim Nantz Calling Fan’s Shot at Pebble Beach Is Best Thing You’ll See Today

You never know what you’re going to run into at Pebble Beach Golf Links. Sea lions and 50 mile per hour winds are always a possibility at the oceanside course, but apparently CBS’s Jim Nantz taking stroll with his morning coffee is, too. The legendary announcer, who lives just minutes from the major venue, went viral on Friday after he provided mock-commentary for one lucky Pebble Beach golfer.

For anyone who loves the game, playing Pebble is an unforgettable experience on its own. Now just imagine what it would feel like to tee it up at the iconic 7th hole with one of the greatest voices in sports analyzing your every move.

Shared by @jdprogolf on TikTok, the video shows Nantz—with his hot coffee in hand—giving one player his full CBS treatment. Several onlookers seem to be enjoying the spectacle as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

klw (10-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm not a golfer, but those of you who are, and who have the chance to play at Pebble Beach, might be very interested in this. He apparently does it a lot.

Jim Nantz Calling Fan’s Shot at Pebble Beach Is Best Thing You’ll See Today
    That reminds me of the Olive and Mabel videos from during the COVID lockdown by British golf announcer Andrew Cotter
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

https://twitter.com/DailyLoud/status...34684318573040
    Two young black men stopped traffic and helped an old lady with a Walker cross the street. They carried her. Then she hugged them. I wish the world was more like this.
    “ It is a shame what this worlds gotten to”

8. Likes:

bounty37h (12-19-2023),goreds2 (10-31-2023)

Tagged along w Mrs. on a work trip to Las Vegas. Friends flew out and met us and we went to see U2 at The Sphere.

What an amazing venue.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (11-06-2023),RFS62 (11-07-2023)

Cody Dorman sadly died yesterday, but the story of him and Breeders Cup champion horse Cody's Wish is the epitome of awesomeness. It's great that Cody was able to make it to Santa Anita to be with his horse one last time this past weekend for the horse's final race (and win).

https://www.espn.com/horse-racing/st...eders-cup-dies

This LA Times obituary has more of the backstory for those who are not familiar.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...h-breeders-cup

NBC's feature leading up to last year's Breeder's Cup race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_srCsf01cjc
    Last edited by Boston Red; 11-06-2023 at 02:45 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Just got the new "Amplified Come as You Are" book about Nirvana.

Oh man, what an awesome, awesome read and I am so happy about this.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (11-16-2023),WrongVerb (11-16-2023)

Will Benson spreads hometown holiday cheer with toy drive

On an overcast, chilly and windy Saturday morning, Benson and his nonprofit organization, Future is Near, brought warmth and joy to over 40 families in need by providing more than 130 gifts in the foundation’s second toy drive at Kingdom Difference Church and Sandtown Park.

“I really believe that's just the Lord working through me to be honest, and I always grew up looking at other professional players do that for their community,” Benson said. “I always look at the things that LeBron James did for Ohio and the things that he continues to do for his hometown. … I would like to fall into that envelope.”
    More of the story here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/will-benson...with-toy-drive
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

15. Likes:

bounty37h (12-19-2023),Chip R (12-18-2023),cumberlandreds (12-18-2023),LiferJim (01-31-2024),moewan (12-17-2023),mth123 (12-25-2023),SunDeck (12-18-2023),WrongVerb (12-17-2023)

I have mentioned my son and his adventures into baseball in the past. Without looking- I don't recall my last post- I think it was likely about him not making the middle school team as a 5th grade manager last year and his good attitude afterwards. He had a successful spring little league season; our team won the league tournament, and he was nominated for the all-star team although he didn't make it. He did a few summer camps and I do a weekly sandlot pickup game for area kids to keep playing through the summer. He did well in fall ball, and even got invited to play with the 16U team at the local high school field (quite a change in field and kid size for an 11-year-old but he hung in there and did well overall, most importantly he had a blast and loved it). The team was shorthanded-hence the invite to fil the roster- but he played every inning of every game and pitched in every game as well.
    He is not a natural athlete, and very slow runner. He ran cross country at school this past fall for conditioning and dropped weight, got a little faster, and just better physical health.
    He recently tried out for 2 travel teams as he wants more experience/practice than just what little league can give him-I told him it was a good experience to tryout and not to be disappointed if he doesn't make them as it will only help him continue to grow and be ready next time around. Dang if he didn't make both teams! He has been doing a conditioning program this winter and starts team practices next month. He is also trying out for the middle school team again; this time he gets to do so as a player since 6th graders can play.
    I'm so very proud of his hard work and improvement but am also so happy that he enjoys it and wants to play every chance he gets-reminds me so much of myself in that manner. He even wanted to go to conditioning last night when it was only 27 degrees outside-I told him I thought we should skip for 2 hours is a long time to be outside in that cold, but he insisted. Workouts ended up being cancelled, and he decided to do the optional at-home workouts the coach had sent in December. Who knows how far he will make it as a player, and I don't really care as long as he enjoys it and does it because he wants to-but I certainly am enjoying the ride!
    Last edited by bounty37h; 01-18-2024 at 02:48 PM.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

17. Likes:

BlackPete Ibold (01-23-2024),cumberlandreds (01-18-2024),goreds2 (01-18-2024),LiferJim (01-31-2024),RFS62 (01-24-2024),Roy Tucker (01-26-2024),westofyou (01-18-2024),WrongVerb (01-19-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Will Benson spreads hometown holiday cheer with toy drive

More of the story here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/will-benson...with-toy-drive
    Thank you, great story. I always liked Benson, now I like him even more!!
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

19. Likes:

goreds2 (02-05-2024)

Kroger selling these again:

Name:  IMG_5417.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  301.6 KB
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

21. Likes:

LiferJim (04-12-2024)